Bruno Guimarães

Fantail Breeze

I think his affection for the club and his loving relationship with the fans is genuine and, while that doesn't make us bulletproof, it alleviates the stress of a possible sale to some extent.

He clearly gets a lot of joy and motivation from being loved, and you can tell that the stuff with his Dad has made a big difference. He parades his wee'un (and inevitably the next one to come) as little Geordies on social media, and the ties to Big Joe and his family are obviously a big deal to him. I also believe him when he talks about wanting to put his name in the history of the club.

The threat of losing him is real but I think we have a very good chance of convincing him to stay; that's providing that we recover from our slump, and there remains clear evidence that we're on an upward trajectory, even if the shape of the curve is a bit erratic. If we completely fall to pieces then we're in a far worse position to keep him, but I think we'll finish strongly.

Regardless of form, if PSG come flying in and activate the release clause, then it's probably curtains because the club will engage in a sale, and the player's wishes are less relevant. However, is it even realistic that they'd do that? That release clause is miles away from anything they've ever spent on that position. A glance through Transfermarkt would suggest that it would put him behind only Mbappe and Neymar as their biggest outlays. Plus, they're well stacked in that area, including with Ugarte who joined recently.

If anything comes in, my guess is that it will be in the summer and will be a number lower than what we'd be prepared to accept. In that case, it's up to the player to itch for the move. I don't think he will so we'll say: "release clause or fuck off." And that'll be the end of the matter, Bruno's a Geordie. 

4 minutes ago, Yorkie said:

I think his affection for the club and his loving relationship with the fans is genuine and, while that doesn't make us bulletproof, it alleviates the stress of a possible sale to some extent.

He clearly gets a lot of joy and motivation from being loved, and you can tell that the stuff with his Dad has made a big difference. He parades his wee'un (and inevitably the next one to come) as little Geordies on social media, and the ties to Big Joe and his family are obviously a big deal to him. I also believe him when he talks about wanting to put his name in the history of the club.

The threat of losing him is real but I think we have a very good chance of convincing him to stay; that's providing that we recover from our slump, and there remains clear evidence that we're on an upward trajectory, even if the shape of the curve is a bit erratic. If we completely fall to pieces then we're in a far worse position to keep him, but I think we'll finish strongly.

Regardless of form, if PSG come flying in and activate the release clause, then it's probably curtains because the club will engage in a sale, and the player's wishes are less relevant. However, is it even realistic that they'd do that? That release clause is miles away from anything they've ever spent on that position. A glance through Transfermarkt would suggest that it would put him behind only Mbappe and Neymar as their biggest outlays. Plus, they're well stacked in that area, including with Ugarte who joined recently.

If anything comes in, my guess is that it will be in the summer and will be a number lower than what we'd be prepared to accept. In that case, it's up to the player to itch for the move. I don't think he will so we'll say: "release clause or fuck off." And that'll be the end of the matter, Bruno's a Geordie. 

This is where I'm at, I don't think he's in a rush to leave but if the right offer comes in the club might want to sell to help build. I wouldn't want him to leave but the silver lining is seeing some acceleration in our rebuild.

3 hours ago, SUPERTOON said:

West Ham reinvesting the Rice money are a perfect example of how selling your best player can work. Obviously hope he stays mind.

Interesting because a lot of their numbers are actually slightly worse than last season. If I had to bet on anyone to fall off it would be them. 

26 minutes ago, The Butcher said:

He wanted that release clause in his new deal. He'll be off sooner or later and that's fine.

With "He" being his agent most likely. Bruno gets sold he gets a chunk. If PSG came in we can't do a thing but Bruno can tell them to fuck off if he wants. Ultimately he decides if he wants to go if the release clause is met.

If we do have any plans to sell him in the summer, the clever thing would be to buy his replacement in this window. Otherwise everyone will see us coming and up the transfer fee in the summer.

We already bought Tonali innit. Miley/Longy/Joelintony/Willy/Andersony/Tonaliy. Plenty of midfielders.

If we do sell up, and we're as limited in the market as we're being repeatedly told, I'd probably prefer we spent on a striker and some defenders.

14 minutes ago, SEMTEX said:

We already bought Tonali innit. Miley/Longy/Joelintony/Willy/Andersony/Tonaliy. Plenty of midfielders.

If we do sell up, and we're as limited in the market as we're being repeatedly told, I'd probably prefer we spent on a striker and some defenders.

The footballing ability of that “group” ain’t of very high quality overall though. There’s a reason we struggle without Bruno. Because he’s the only one with proper footballing quality on the ball. Tonali obviously has a high ceiling potentially, new to the league. So does Miley (still so young). 

Edited by Ikon

2 minutes ago, Ikon said:

The footballing ability amongst those ain’t of very high quality overall though. There’s a reason we struggle without Bruno. Because he’s the only one with proper footballing quality on the ball. Tonali obviously has a high ceiling potentially, new to the league. So does Miley (still so young). 

Aye I don't disagree, if we're aiming to compete at the highest level... but if I'm looking at the groups of players, I still think that group of midfielders is healthier than our defender/striker groups, for various reasons.

Ideally we just sign everyone we need, but if I'm drinking the "FFP Restrictions" Kool-Aid, then midfield wouldn't be my priority.

Edited by SEMTEX

Imo we have so many areas which need strengthening both quality and depth wise, that losing him would most likely massively benefit us, as sad as that is.

We would've been scouting a replacement the second that release clause became a reality.

9 minutes ago, Novocastrian said:

Has Mike Ashley come back. I know FFP is constraining us to a degree but surely we aren’t selling our best players? 

We don't want to obviously, but if we are going to, at least we'll triple our money.

47 minutes ago, Ronson333 said:

If we do have any plans to sell him in the summer, the clever thing would be to buy his replacement in this window. Otherwise everyone will see us coming and up the transfer fee in the summer.

Be Jobe Marra, if he doesn't go to Real that is 

53 minutes ago, Ronson333 said:

Wr can’t do that, though.  

17 minutes ago, Novocastrian said:

Has Mike Ashley come back. I know FFP is constraining us to a degree but surely we aren’t selling our best players? 

Release clause would mean no choice, and FFP would mean that we know we need to.  There is a reason we’re targeting players of the profile we are - high resale value.  I said a while back that what is being talked about is Ashley’s plan, only on steroids and with a genuine goal for impermanent.  I’m ok with that. 

Just now, SEMTEX said:

Sure we can. Creative accounting always finds a way.

It doesn’t, though.  The entire transfer fee would land in this financial year for FFP purposes.  The transfer contract isn’t hidden form the PL or UEFA.  There isn’t a way to hide intent. 

10 minutes ago, TheBrownBottle said:

Release clause would mean no choice, and FFP would mean that we know we need to.  There is a reason we’re targeting players of the profile we are - high resale value.  I said a while back that what is being talked about is Ashley’s plan, only on steroids and with a genuine goal for impermanent.  I’m ok with that. 

The difference with Ashley's plan is that the end goal is to win stuff, not to make a quick personal profit at the expense of the club.

Just now, TRon said:

The difference with Ashley's plan is that the end goal is to win stuff, not to make a quick personal profit at the expense of the club.

Exactly.  If Bruno was sold under Ashley I’d have been pissing blood.  If Bruno is sold under the current ownership, it’s because it is simply another stepping stone on the way to further growth.  No player is unsellable at any club.

If PSG bid, he’s off - they wouldn’t bid without putting feelers out first on a transfer of this size.