Bruno Guimarães

Fantail Breeze

As naff as that performance from the team was in the 2nd half, he just oozes quality. Where he is in the midfield 3 is fine, he does need another progressive passer next to him though. A lot of our transitional passes and attempts to break the Everton lines all went through him and no player will get every single pass right. Even still, the players he's passing to aren't often going to do the business such was the lack of quality tonight. 

I would have brought on Longstaff for Willock midway 2nd half - it was clear he was struggling - thought Joelinton was as well.    We lost it in midfield today - no control in that 2nd half.

Oh well - get them out to Dubai, away from the media shit storm here.   Recharge the batteries and get another 5 points from 10 games and we can say goodbye to this shit season.   Hopefully never to be in the relegation zone for a very long time!

2 minutes ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

He was good, but I’m not convinced that particular 3 works. Willock was playing really far forward at times, and Joelinton obvious roams a far bit as well. 

I don't know. I really thought our main problems were the lack of quality in too many areas of the pitch. We ended up hoofing it from the back a lot, and I think Trippier's loss is starting to be felt.

He's really good. Passed the eye test and having just had a look at his numbers they're really good too. 

Most touches, most passes (63/67, 94%), high successful pressures (60%), most carries, most progressive carries, most tackles (100% won), most interceptions, most fouls drawn, 2nd most recoveries.

Shelvey has to come back in for me so got to try Bruno Shelvey Joelinton, hopfully get to see that with both Maxi and Fraser starting against Spurs and some improvement from Wood. Think that will be our best team tbh until Wilson and Trippier get back.

Probably going against the grain here but I don't see reintroducing Shelvey as solving any of the issues last night. It seems a bit knee jerk to me because we've lost the 2 games he hasn't played. Bruno played his role last night and did everything Shelvey does but better. 

The issue was that our attacking play is heavily reliant on our full backs and our wide players. Targett was all right, but the other 3 were absolutely terrible in an attacking sense. Our full backs have the ball a lot and there we just spammed hopeful long balls down the line all game. We needed better movement from the front three. Look at how Spurs destroyed Everton - they're very vulnerable to runs in behind on the break and we basically did none of that. The two times we did Fraser almost got in but for a cracking bit of defending from Coleman (Fraser also really should've done better) and Bruno played a class through ball to Almiron who just isn't a right winger. 

12 minutes ago, Smal said:

Probably going against the grain here but I don't see reintroducing Shelvey as solving any of the issues last night. It seems a bit knee jerk to me because we've lost the 2 games he hasn't played. Bruno played his role last night and did everything Shelvey does but better. 

The issue was that our attacking play is heavily reliant on our full backs and our wide players. Targett was all right, but the other 3 were absolutely terrible in an attacking sense. Our full backs have the ball a lot and there we just spammed hopeful long balls down the line all game. We needed better movement from the front three. Look at how Spurs destroyed Everton - they're very vulnerable to runs in behind on the break and we basically did none of that. The two times we did Fraser almost got in but for a cracking bit of defending from Coleman (Fraser also really should've done better) and Bruno played a class through ball to Almiron who just isn't a right winger. 

Don't think that was the case second half mind, don't see why Shelvey couldn't just sit a bit deeper and allow Bruno and Joe to try and move the ball forward. Willock has put in a few good performances and scored a few goals but often goes missing for me and at times is a complete passenger.

He made some great runs in the first half to break lines but did that much less in the second half. Pretty hard to do that consistently when you're also the person designated to protect the defence against a team basically waiting to counter. In retrospect, we perhaps could've switched to a double pivot in the second half to re-balance things.

The thread translated;

Bruno Guimarães participated in the Gringolândia podcast, from @geglobo, and commented on his arrival at Newcastle United. You can follow the episode on the main platforms of the modality and on the GE website. Below are some excerpts. #nufc

About his arrival at the club, Bruno Guimarães commented:

"It was a very quick negotiation, in 4.5 days we solved everything... I never hid my desire to play in the Premier League, it was always my dream and goal."

On the choice to sign for Newcastle United, given the club's situation in the table:

"I'm a player who loves challenges and I knew it would be difficult. But I spoke with the owners and with Joelinton. It was a very difficult decision of my life, it was not easy."

About the project:

"I believe in the project. The fans are passionate about the team, it's too different. Next season I believe it will strengthen to, who knows, seek a spot in the Champions League, in the Europa League. "

About Eddie Howe:

"I believe a lot in the coach. He's a very smart guy in my perception. He's a guy who likes to work, so he's always looking to improve the players. He's always showing videos, he's always trying to be better than the other coaches."

On the perception of the crowd:

"The guys here have already made music, shirts with my photo. Shirts with several pictures of me. When I make passes it's 'Bruno, Bruno, Bruno'. It's been really cool, I'm enjoying it a lot here"

See that’s what I don’t get. We have Bruno saying he thinks we will push for the CL next season and he’s constantly talked about “the project” and then Edwards is adamant we are only going to spend £50 mil. I haven’t got a problem at all with “only” a £50 mil spend, but I don’t see it being true when Bruno is coming out with quotes like that. And then Merhdad is saying FFP is our only barrier to spending.

Just now, Danh1 said:

See that’s what I don’t get. We have Bruno saying he thinks we will push for the CL next season and he’s constantly talked about “the project” and then Edwards is adamant we are only going to spend £50 mil. I haven’t got a problem at all with “only” a £50 mil spend, but I don’t see it being true when Bruno is coming out with quotes like that. And then Merhdad is saying FFP is our only barrier to spending.

Seems to be a lot of talent available on free transfers. The 'Project' might well tempt 5-6 of them to get on board.