Dan Burn

Rich

The Athletic: Can we ask you a question or two about shithousing, please?

Burn: (laughs) “Yeah.”

TA: The last five minutes felt like violent, beautiful poetry and the team has done that on a few occasions this season. It’s that thing about knowing how to win a game and doing everything it takes to win, isn’t it?

DB: “I think that started from when I came, really. We were tough to beat last season. We weren’t a soft touch. Teams were having to work really hard to get through us and it’s the same now. Once we gain the lead, we’re confident. We don’t panic, even when we’re under pressure and yeah, those little bits we do… it was great seeing people flying into tackles and hearing the crowd roar, that sort of stuff.”

TA: The one defeat this season was at Liverpool, but it felt like an important statement in some ways, the way you irritated Anfield and got people wound up. It feels like the first time in a long time that Newcastle are going to places like that and having that attitude.

DB: “It was something the gaffer talked about at the start of the season. Our mentality is ‘it’s us against the world’. We feed off that. If we’ve got to win ugly, we’ll win ugly and be tough to beat. That sole defeat was an absolute sickener but to go there and play the way we did showed great character.”

TA: That mentality has always been part of the city’s, the north east’s identity, hasn’t it? That we’re left to fend for ourselves, so we stick up for ourselves. That’s our history.

DB: “Definitely. Football is different up here. It’s a working-class city and people want players to work hard. When I was sat up in the stand, that’s what I wanted. If the players worked hard and got beat, you would accept it. That’s our attitude in every single game — we’ll go out and leave it all on the pitch.”

4 hours ago, Sean said:

It's almost as if the writers from the Athletic are looking on here for ideas of what to write....could have at least used a different term rather than taking shithousing verbatim from here [emoji38]

The term shithousing to mean gamesmanship has been in use for a while, its not from here.

20 hours ago, Paully said:

The Athletic: Can we ask you a question or two about shithousing, please?

Burn: (laughs) “Yeah.”

TA: The last five minutes felt like violent, beautiful poetry and the team has done that on a few occasions this season. It’s that thing about knowing how to win a game and doing everything it takes to win, isn’t it?

DB: “I think that started from when I came, really. We were tough to beat last season. We weren’t a soft touch. Teams were having to work really hard to get through us and it’s the same now. Once we gain the lead, we’re confident. We don’t panic, even when we’re under pressure and yeah, those little bits we do… it was great seeing people flying into tackles and hearing the crowd roar, that sort of stuff.”

TA: The one defeat this season was at Liverpool, but it felt like an important statement in some ways, the way you irritated Anfield and got people wound up. It feels like the first time in a long time that Newcastle are going to places like that and having that attitude.

DB: “It was something the gaffer talked about at the start of the season. Our mentality is ‘it’s us against the world’. We feed off that. If we’ve got to win ugly, we’ll win ugly and be tough to beat. That sole defeat was an absolute sickener but to go there and play the way we did showed great character.”

TA: That mentality has always been part of the city’s, the north east’s identity, hasn’t it? That we’re left to fend for ourselves, so we stick up for ourselves. That’s our history.

DB: “Definitely. Football is different up here. It’s a working-class city and people want players to work hard. When I was sat up in the stand, that’s what I wanted. If the players worked hard and got beat, you would accept it. That’s our attitude in every single game — we’ll go out and leave it all on the pitch.”

Yeah, I've always thought he was our most important signing, and this indicates the reason why. He's not the world's greatest defender, but the fear and indecision seemed to disappear from our defending after he arrived.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Have been a big fan of his since he signed but thought he was poor last night and offers fuck all offensively.

Personally, I'd be looking to bring in a full back who can offer more going forward.

I think Howe plays him because Trippier is vulnerable aerially and Burn isn't so, Burn's aerial strength is offset by his lack of contribution going forwards whereas Trippier is the opposite. He's vulnerable to a long diagonal ball over the top but he offers much more going forward.

I wonder if we're now in the marker for an attacking left back who's taller than average?

The amount of opportunies Burn had last night to whip a ball in and he didn't even look like he fancied it was criminal.

I'd have hooked him for Targett even before Willock was subbed tbh.

Last night really suited Targett imho, far more than Burn, so I can only assume he stays on/in for his aerial prowess.

Just now, TotalWar said:

Put the best ball of the night in for Miggy’s miss.

Watch it back, he had umpteen opportunities to cross first time and didn't take them.

Given he's played at FB more for us than CB, how many assists has he got?

I can only think of the cushioned header from the corner at Southampton away for Bruno's backheel last season off the top of my head and, even then, that's not really the work of a fullback per say.