Dan Burn

Rich

1 hour ago, Tsunami said:

We used to sing “United” regularly at games. Pretty sure I also had a white “silk” scarf with just United on it. Worn tied to my wrist and not with my Smoking Jacket.

My firs prized possession was a black silk scarf, which I am pretty sure had Haway the Lads and a picture of Alan Gowling on! 

Don't think the spelling was a thing back then, sure I've seen both on banners from round about then. (74 final :'()

Pretty sure I had a "Gordon Lee's Black and White army" "silk" scarf before he fucked off to the Scakem's.

Edited by Doc

4 hours ago, madras said:

I wonder if its more of a sky era thing ? Growing up in the 70s it was always "Man U" or "Man City".

I was born in the 80s and it was in 90s and 2000s. I don't care if it's petty, calling Man United 'United' is fucking annoying.

5 hours ago, madras said:

I wonder if its more of a sky era thing ? Growing up in the 70s it was always "Man U" or "Man City".

I was born in 89 and I'd never refer to them as 'United' or 'City', and not because I'm being deliberate about it, it's just not natural to me. Same - ManU or ManCity.  Growing up ManCity weren't even necessarily the biggest 'city' team, so wouldn't have thought of them when saying it.

Seems natural to me people in the region would refer to them as United and City, not outside until recently.

Edited by Inferior Acuña

10 hours ago, huss9 said:

doesnt really bother me.

i've always known us as the toon or newcastle.

Clearly you're a young un. I'm 56 and calling us Newcastle or the toon is a recent phenomena (well, post 1992). When I was a lad in the '70s our fans would usually use 'United'. The increase in tv coverage and parroting of the term United as a descriptive term for one selected club has led to even the likes of Alan Shearer adopting this. It grates on me a great deal but, sadly, that ship has sailed.

i also think that anyone outside of manchester would call them manU, I suppose the manks distinguish themselves as city and united, which is fair enough...

Edited by buzza

there's tons of uniteds, but only one newcastle, so the united thing never bothered me (the "YA-NI-TED" chant is the only time i can remember us routinely being referred to as such), tho tomyam's post up there suggests there might be an interesting age difference thing going on. generally speaking i'll say newcastle, and write nufc.

as it happens, the mention of "man u" brings to mind that mufc have a similar thing going on - you'll sometimes see people attempting to be superfan online, looking down on fans who say "man u" as the sign of a johnny-come-lately out-of-towner, and it's bollocks. i grew up within spitting distance of old trafford (not my fault) and you'd hear it all the time.

20 hours ago, TomYam said:

Clearly you're a young un. I'm 56 and calling us Newcastle or the toon is a recent phenomena (well, post 1992). When I was a lad in the '70s our fans would usually use 'United'. The increase in tv coverage and parroting of the term United as a descriptive term for one selected club has led to even the likes of Alan Shearer adopting this. It grates on me a great deal but, sadly, that ship has sailed.

I'm a year younger and I don't think much changed in that year but I don't remember it like that. When talking, just saying "United" was rarely done. It was sung at games a fair bit but not so much against other Uniteds, then it was a few blasts of "there's only one United" followed by "Newcastle" clap clap clap "Newcastle".

he was laughing his tits off when Pope came out, misjudged, and shepherded the ball out for a throw. Great to see and shows just how much he’s living the dream. 

As Ronny says along with the rest of the back 4 did a very good job tonight albeit Trippier would be my MOM.

10 minutes ago, Kid Icarus said:

I mustn't have noticed how good he was. Trippier and Schar were unreal but Botman and Burn were more sloppy in possession 

I thought the same.  Burn played some hospital passes inside and seemed caught out of position a couple of times.  

Botman is so confident with his passing.  That some of his first time attempts went out or to Everton.  

All that said, this back 5 is such a good unit across the board.  Compliment each other so well.