Dan Burn

Rich

7 minutes ago, TotalWar said:

I agree with your point on him being very limited in the opponent’s half. He’s my favourite current player so felt duty bound to point out his fantastic cross.

Id love to see a Beresford type left back, great touch, pace, boundless energy, great passer, tearing forward at every opportunity etc. Not sure that would fit in with Eddie’s tactical plan though.

I thought that early in the season Targett was a bit sloppy at left back, something I dont think he was last season. His passing wasnt as crisp.

I love how cool Burn is at the back, especially considering his size. This was one of his key attributes when he joined in January, calming the existing players down.

I'd love a Beresford type player too but, as you say, I'm not sure that fits with Howe's methods.

For me, he plays Burn over Targett, to accomodate Trippiers exposure with a long ball. Trippiers only weakness is in the air. Even last night, Bournemouth targetted it. With Burn playing, when Trippier goes forward (which is his strongest attribute), Burn sits back and we become a 3 instead of a 4.

If that's Targett, then we're without Trippier AND vulnerable in the air to a long, diagonal.

So, I can see why he plays him and I do like him but I'd prefer him as Botmans back up and I'd like to set Ashworth and the scouts the mission of finding a 6ft 2 Beresford-esque left back [emoji38][emoji38][emoji38].

• 2 weeks later...

Did you see how the entire game we had to build from the right flank only until ASM came on? one reason has to be we are not playing with a proper left back. It feels as we are playing with three center backs and one fullback on the right. Compare what Trippier is doing on the right when we have the ball vs what happens on the left side with Burn.

I trust Howe, but can someone please make me understand why we are not playing with a left fullback? I mean someone who can overlap effectively and add more to the game than just simple passes in the middle of the park?

Edited by Solitude20

1 minute ago, Solitude20 said:

Did you see how the entire game we had to build from the right flank only until ASM came on? one reason has to be we are not playing with a proper left back. It feels as we are playing with three center backs and one fullback on the tight. Compare what Trippier is doing on the right when we have the ball vs what happens on the left side with Burn.

I trust Howe, but can someone please make me understand why we are not playing with a left fullback? I mean someone who can overlap effectively and add more to the game than just simple passes in the middle of the park?

Burn plays so we can drop into three CBs and shuffle across when Trippier bombs forward, his selection is entirely focused on freeing Trippier up.

It has worked in almost every game this season. 

4 minutes ago, Andy said:

Burn plays so we can drop into three CBs and shuffle across when Trippier bombs forward, his selection is entirely focused on freeing Trippier up.

He's there because Targett fell ill, Burn got moved to left-back and Botman made it impossible to put Burn back at CB. Upto that point Botman was being eased in. Burn has kept his place because he's not done a lot wrong but we need a new left-back or Targett back for games like this.

3 minutes ago, Andy said:

Not according to Sofascore if you check their positions in the Leeds game. Burn played as a leftback who rarely crossed the middle of the park. This had nothing to do with freeing Trippier. 

Just now, Solitude20 said:

Not according to Sofascore if you check their positions in the Leeds game. Burn played as a leftback who rarely crossed the middle of the park. This had nothing to do with freeing Trippier. 

Because Leeds barely got forward, especially after half time, there was less need to cover - this admittedly exposes Burn's attacking weaknesses. I don't need to check Sofascore though, I've watched us play every game this season and have seen the system with my own eyes.

The effectiveness of having Burn at left back is obvious as we are sat third with the best defensive record in the league.  

6 minutes ago, Solitude20 said:

Sorry but watch us play and you'll see it every game. I don't care what some random website says :lol:

Guest reefatoon

Was getting frustrated with him when he kept overlapping and getting in the way of the space ASM was wanting to run into with the ball. 

12 minutes ago, LiquidAK said:

Sorry but watch us play and you'll see it every game. I don't care what some random website says :lol:

I used Sofascore as a polite way instead of saying I am right and you are wrong about the positioning of our defenders, since it is based on data and all. Since we were all watching the same game, give me an example of when Burn’s positioning has helped Trippier get forward in the way you guys claim. Burn has spent the entirety of the game touching the line as you would expect from a traditional fullback. 

Edited by Solitude20

9 minutes ago, reefatoon said:

Was getting frustrated with him when he kept overlapping and getting in the way of the space ASM was wanting to run into with the ball. 

Totally agree with this, it was more annoying because there was space for ASM to do his thing.

He rarely gets up the wing and it's Joelinton and Willock who combine on the left. I think it's great idea from Howe and the main reason why we concede so little. Find the criticism of Burn as a LB a bit weird tbh.

5 minutes ago, Solitude20 said:

I used Sofascore as a polite way instead of saying I am right and you are wrong about the positioning of our defenders, since it is based on data and all. Since we were all watching the same game, give me an example of when Burn’s positioning has helped Trippier get forward in the way you guys claim. Burn has spent the entirety of the game touching the line as you would expect from a traditional fullback. 

I'm really not sure what to say to your asking for an example. Pick basically any time we go forward with Trippier right up with Almiron and Burn hanging back with Schar & Botman. Happens about 60 times a game

Guest reefatoon
55 minutes ago, Pata said:

He rarely gets up the wing and it's Joelinton and Willock who combine on the left. I think it's great idea from Howe and the main reason why we concede so little. Find the criticism of Burn as a LB a bit weird tbh.

he’s been fantastic for us and well deserved of his place in the team.