Other games (2022/23)

Deuce

On 15/08/2022 at 21:32, HTT II said:

14 seasons then, I’m sure he started out at 16, anyway I think he’s bang average and has a face you’d love to slap. 

2010 his first full season [just check Wkipedia man]. Played a full season in all but the two seasons at Man U. Wjoops. One season he only played 12 games at Cardiff.

I'll be honest I've never liked Zaha, but will admit he has some qualities. But he's been allowed to retain his petulant attitude for two long, just because he's a footballer. He's been vindicated with a huge salary since he was about 18, never any need to grow up. I think he could have a quality end to his career as his age brings on a natural maturity.

Edited by Happinesstan

On 15/08/2022 at 22:03, HaydnNUFC said:

I've only got the game at SJP last season in my mind fwiw. Was right in front of where I was sitting, the way he was going on at Miggy and Bruno after a perfectly fair challenge was like a teenager kicking off in Sunday league. The bloke's almost 30.

Maybe not.

On 16/08/2022 at 08:56, Kid Icarus said:

I'm not sure that's actually the case, it can be argued that it's just 4 instances of shots with a very low chance of being a goal (0.10) rather than a case of cumulative probability (0.40)

All I'm saying is that the way xG is calculated implies that Liverpool must have had the higher probability of scoring twice, Palace only once, but the devil is in the details because Liverpool seem to have accumulated their xG through a high volume of lower probability shots Vs Palaces low volume of higher probability shots. 

I didn't see the game so can't comment on that directly, but those stats look as though they could accurately represent what I would expect from such a game. 

Top side dominate, and spend a lot of time in and around opponents area, when every successful pass can be considered to create a slim chance. and the lesser team, restricting them and getting better chances on the break.

On 16/08/2022 at 09:57, The College Dropout said:

This is why I call you slow. You're desperate to disagree and be right.

It is my opinion that some of the money spent on the LCB position would have been more effectively spent on attacking positions. I think the money spent there has contributed to limiting our attacking options.

You disagree. Fine. Move on and stop quoting me.

I kind of agree, but if we go mad in the last two weeks I'll be proven wrong.

Going back for Botman was a great decision, but it fed into the notion that we were prepared to spend big all over. I'm convinced Burn would have been good enough for this season [back-up is another question] and we now appear to be short of the money necessary to improve the areas that need it most.

But like I say, this is mostly based on rumours and speculation about rumours. We could be pleasantly surprised b the end of the season.

Whatever happens, any signing should be welcomed. Not blindly, but we have to trust Howe and the recruitment team for now.

On 16/08/2022 at 10:46, Kid Icarus said:

Likewise, if I take 100 shots at 0.01 from the halfway line with the 'keeper on the line, xG shouldn't amount to 1.00 just because I tried something that's extremely unlikely 100 times.

You'd be declared insane.

On 16/08/2022 at 11:28, Kid Icarus said:

Again, I'm not sure that's the case. My understanding is that it's simply that 50 shots with a 2% chance have been taken, not that 50 shots taken at 2% have a 100% chance of resulting in a goal.  

The problem is that xG can be stacked with high volume/low quality chances. Last night Liverpool had 24 lower probability shots and come out with a higher xG than Palace's 7 shots that included a one on one and an open goal. We can disagree about whether that was the case and Palace's chances were higher quality, but being able to stack xG with a higher volume of low quality chances is still a flaw in xG. I don't think it's really a big deal to highlight that, I'm pretty sure it's one of the known issues with it and why things need to pass the eye test etc.  

I think you're assuming that a 1.0 xG is equal to a guaranteed goal.

8 hours ago, Happinesstan said:

I kind of agree, but if we go mad in the last two weeks I'll be proven wrong.

Going back for Botman was a great decision, but it fed into the notion that we were prepared to spend big all over. I'm convinced Burn would have been good enough for this season [back-up is another question] and we now appear to be short of the money necessary to improve the areas that need it most.

But like I say, this is mostly based on rumours and speculation about rumours. We could be pleasantly surprised b the end of the season.

Whatever happens, any signing should be welcomed. Not blindly, but we have to trust Howe and the recruitment team for now.

Aye I could be wrong. But this is what the signs and rumours are pointing too. I don’t think we’ll sign a player as highly regarded as Botman in attacking positions permanently. It’s too expensive. 

I don’t think it fed into a notion that’s prevented us from signing others.  I just think it’s depleted some FFP headroom.  Clubs aren’t asking for unreasonable fees. I criticised the JM fees and people told me it was smart negotiation.

I’m glad you can agree it’s a simple point with logic. It could turn out to not be the case but it’s still a logical idea.  

35 minutes ago, jack j said:

If we had a few seasons in the champions league we'd start struggling to sell out the same way citeh do unless they Included them in a season ticket cost

It’s always been a pet hate of mine that cup games aren’t included as standard in a season ticket.

Problem is, if clubs did do this they’d just raise ST prices to mitigate it :lol: 

The cost of a ST, all away games and cup games if you were Liverpool/Man City fans who tend to go all the way in most competitions must be ginormous.