Other games (2022/23)

Deuce

I was a huge fan of Parker when he first started playing for us, he was giving it everything every game and his tackling was superb, i think he was never the same after breaking if i remember correctly Jimmy Bullard's leg in a tackle, then he just started to hesitate and not play with much drive. happy for how his managerial career started and interesting to see what he will do next year.

10 hours ago, Mikky said:

wonder where KDB sits compared to them 3? A league below given that he’s never win the CL?

Iniesta ≥ De Bruyne > Xavi > Busquets.

I think when De Bruyne is finished he'll have won the Champions League and will be seen as one of the greatest midfielders ever. Zidane will probably keep top spot.

2 minutes ago, ManDoon said:

I’m not a fan of judging players on int performances. Crouch banged in a load against garbage and Scholes was gash internationally. Belgium haven’t really had a good manager imo 

When did Crouch really perform in an international tournament?

I agree Hazard has typically been the star for Belgium. I remember him being brilliant in defeat to France. I think KDB scored but he was also the man against Brazil too.

16 minutes ago, ManDoon said:

I’m not a fan of judging players on int performances. Crouch banged in a load against garbage and Scholes was gash internationally. Belgium haven’t really had a good manager imo 

You have to judge players on the biggest stage, CL and international tournaments and KDB is miles off those other players mentioned in both

Guest neesy111
6 minutes ago, triggs said:

You have to judge players on the biggest stage, CL and international tournaments and KDB is miles off those other players mentioned in both

I think this is a rubbish way of judging players personally.  Circumstances a lot of time dictate what happens.

12 minutes ago, triggs said:

So Ronaldo is the GOAT?

3 hours ago, Optimistic Nut said:

Outstanding turnout. 

Probably because most of those attending,  believed this was theri best chance of watching a Man Utd team winning a match, never mind a cup.  :lol:

11 minutes ago, ManDoon said:

Sure but then is Henderson a better midfielder than KDB because he won a CL and has performed internationally? Not imo. He scored a winner in their QF against Brazil. Their int managers have been horrendous. 

When has Henderson been a standout performer in the CL or for England?

These are bad examples. 

You have to look at things in full. Is CL performances (of which KDB has had many great nights, he was brilliant in that defeat to Spurs). League form. Consistency. Big matches. International record.  

Entirely discounting international football doesn’t make sense.  But it’s not the be all and end all.

before Messi won the Copa I found it weird that he didn’t get any credit to taking his national side to 3 Copa Finals and a World Cup final. That’s more than enough to say he performed for Argentina.

Guest HTT II

Me, these days, I judge a player on their actual all-round footballing abilities, hence why HBA makes it over Robert or Ginola for example and why KDB outshines most.

29 minutes ago, nufcjb said:

Probably because most of those attending,  believed this was theri best chance of watching a Man Utd team winning a match, never mind a cup.  :lol:

Tickets were £1 and all proceeds went to the MU Foundation.

4 hours ago, ManDoon said:

Well he’s not a player that ever looks like a standout because that’s just not his game? But he’s performed every time he’s put an England shirt on and had performed in the CL without a doubt. 

Im not entirely discounting it but I don’t believe is should be used to rank a player down over another. The CL stuff is more down to Pep imo. Not won a single one since Barca 

Does that make sense to you? He doesn't stand out because he's not the most talented. He's a functional player and a great leader apparently. He hasn't stood out for England and he doesn't standout for Liverpool.

Rightfully so, nobody thinks he's better than KDB and nobody really talks about his supposed top performances for Liverpool in the CL or England at the World Cup (I do remember people comparing his ET performance to Modric 

)

Like I said. KDB has graced the latter stages of the CL and performed brilliantly so that's not an argument. The Belgium critcism is fair enough but in all a small one.

Someone brought up C.Ronaldo's WC record. But what does that mean? He doesn't perform in the big occassion? Nope - we've seen him be the difference in major KO matches many times. He doesn't perform for his country on the big stage? Nope - he was a key man in Portugal getting to 2 Euro finals and winning 1. 

You look at the whole.

Just now, ManDoon said:

How was he a key man in Portugal winning one? He scored in two games and didn’t play in the final? 

If memory serves, Ronaldo scored and assisted to get Portugal out the group when they were close to going out. Then he was the main man in the semi's scoring the opener and pretty sure he assisted the second.

If they had a second Nani up top, i'm confident they don't win the tournament. But you knew that.

Pepe. Fonte. Carvalho. Sanches. Quaresma. Ronaldo. Real difference makers for Portugal in that tournament. Pepe came back from injury and they stopped conceding iirc.

6 minutes ago, ManDoon said:

I don’t think Henderson is a brilliant player but him not standing out isn’t the reason, Obvs he’s a huge part of what they do as Klopp loves him and he doesn’t put in bad performances in their CL campaigns. I’m saying it’s just not a good metric to judge players by. The same stuff was leveled at Messi for ages.

But it is. Thiago stands out. KDB stands out. Modric stands out. Because they are more talented players.

Henderson can compete at the highest level in Klopp's particular system. But you wouldn't expect him to join many other elite clubs and be a top player.... because he's not that talented. He doesn't get the plaudits of most of his other starters at Liverpool.... because he's not as talented. His job is to bring out their talents. 

What's not a good metric to judge players by? The Messi argument was never true. He took his country to 4 major international finals before winning the 5th. He won World Cup player of the tournament. Also won multiple champions leagues. Scored in multiple finals and semi finals in that comp. 

Just now, ManDoon said:

Belgium had a very talented team

managed by very inadequate people, their whole team underperformed and has continued to. 

The subject of Martinez becoming our manager seems so long ago now, thankfully. 

15 minutes ago, ManDoon said:

Because it is based on a shit load of variables, what happens if Messi was say Serbian? Would it be a mark against him that he didn’t drag them to glory, I don’t think so. Only one team can win a Tournament and it’s not the same as dominating weekly in an elite league imo. 

Belgium had a very talented team

managed by very inadequate people, their whole team underperformed and has continued to. 

Belgium haven't underperformed as a whole. They've got to a few semi's playing good football on the way. But Hazard was the star man. Hazard was unlucky not to win Golden Ball he was that good imo. There's a lot that can be said about Hazard in the CL but WC18 is definitive moment in his career. KDB hasn't had that particular moment, it may never come but he's dazzled in the CL anyway.

You keep talking about winning it. Playing really well is my only barometer. If Messi's Serbian - international football matters less. And you would consider playing well and pushing deep KO's as a similar achievement. Similar to Modric helping Croatia to a WC final. It's all narrative and myth building. Football has such fine margins and has an element of luck - those big moments really stand out when certain players consitently step up.

So what do we want from this game?

A convincing win for the Gunners, so qualifying for the CL - Tottenham's season blowing up and Harry Kane realising he's never going to win anything at Spurs and Man City aren't coming back in for him after signing Haaland, so he has no other option but to sign for Eddie in the famous black and white. 

Maybe.

6 hours ago, neesy111 said:

I think this is a rubbish way of judging players personally.  Circumstances a lot of time dictate what happens.

No player outside the PL would be rated so highly if they were doing the exact same thing, it's just familiarity bias