Captain Steak Bakes

David Edgar

28 minutes ago, Wolfcastle said:

True, but I dont see why that's a cop out however.

We ended up with a big squad with a handful of good players instead. His reserve/squad recruitment mirrored his overall - Serrant, Brady, Kelly, Robinson, Pinas, Gudjohnsson, Coppinger cost us over £2million and were complete duds.

Keegan fetched up with Huckerby a year before by comparison who was good enough .

Huckerby might have stayed around had there been a clearer route to the first team squad.

There was a general concern from insiders throughout his tenure regarding a lack of attention to detail. For example, weeks before the start of the Championship season, he admitted to not knowing EFL clubs were now permitted to use five substitutes.

Jesus wept

4 hours ago, Optimistic Nut said:

Huckerby might have stayed around had there been a clearer route to the first team squad.

Think the only way Huckerby ended up being good enough to play in our first team was ironically because Dalglish took the club backwards.

He was never going to dislodge Tino, Shearer or Ferdinand but never be dislodged himself by Tomasson, Andersson, Guivarch

Edited by Jonas

Thats it for Bruce now though.

The level of club that would consider him cannot afford him. Plus its limited to his not having to travel very far or move. So London's out nevermind Europe.

Edited by Jonas

27 minutes ago, Jonas said:

The level of club that would consider him cannot afford him. Plus its limited to his not having to travel very far or move. So London's out nevermind Europe.

It seems reasonable to conclude that, except he seems to be so fucking greedy I can't help wondering how low he'd be willing to go to scam another few quid for minimal effort.

35 minutes ago, Jonas said:

I wonder if all his great pals who speak so highly of him would have him at Salford? I bet even they wouldn’t have him. It was fine for us to put up with the clueless twat though. 

Dalgleish remains our worst ever, and we've had some real shit. Bruce or Kinnear are probably the most inept and Pardew was probably the most hateful, but Dalgleish did the most damage. He took the entertainers, ripped them apart and replaced them with his old Liverpool mates to give them a last payday. Top that off with the absolute dross that was listed above and you have an incredible hatchet job that took us from title contenders to relegation candidates.

I just can't see how he thought a geriatric John Barnes and Ian Rush were acceptable replacements for Ginola and Ferdinand.

17 hours ago, SteV said:

It’s interesting that McClaren was probably the most likeable (or least unlikable) of that lot, yet he probably did the worst job of anyone considering circumstances and players at his disposal.

*not really counting Kinnear as that was all just madness

Maybe cos he seemed to know he was shit? :lol: He just cut such a pathetic figure in a way that made me sad rather than angry.

Edited by Inferior Acuña

1 minute ago, JumpersForGoalposts said:

Dalgleish remains our worst ever, and we've had some real shit. Bruce or Kinnear are probably the most inept and Pardew was probably the most hateful, but Dalgleish did the most damage. He took the entertainers, ripped them apart and replaced them with his old Liverpool mates to give them a last payday. Top that off with the absolute dross that was listed above and you have an incredible hatchet job that took us from title contenders to relegation candidates.

I just can't see how he thought a geriatric John Barnes and Ian Rush were acceptable replacements for Ginola and Ferdinand.

Close call between him and Pardew for that mantle imo. Dalglish maybe, because he dismantled NUFC: title contenders, and that has never returned, despite a brief flirt under Bobby. But Pardew put the gun in Ashley's hand when it came to killing the club as a true sporting entity.

It's only the miracles of Eddie Howe and excellent scouting that we've shaken-off the symptoms of Ashleyfication in less than a year; we should be a Championship club this season, such was the sheer extent of the damage caused over the years. 

I can't really hate Dalglish cos as shit as his time here was, he clearly wasn't a fraud. The fact he failed so badly here convinced me we're cursed - and I still can't really get my head around why it went so badly wrong  (a mix of bad luck and not really knowing how to handle a Keegan time I suspect). Pardew, Souness etc should never have been in the job in the first place.

Anyone who hates Dalglish is probably just down to how he ripped Keegan's team up and then brought the old guards in to his. I hated it but dont hate him as a human being, unlike Bruce. Atleast Dalglish brought us Kelly Cates.

Bruce? Bloody hell. Not only he produced Alex, the guy can't manage, shows disrespect to fans, players journalists, and even fellow managers like Howe, bigs up how long he has been in the game yet is an utter failure, constantly is inept at his job and plays the victim card all the time. 

Let's have a proper list of how bad he is and I bet you, it will be endless.

Edited by nufcjb

Hate is a strong word. I dont hate any of our past managers. I just dislike their involvement with my club. And Dalglish is the one manager that I dislike the most. For reasons that most on here have been mentioned. 

8 minutes ago, Johnny said:

Hate is a strong word. I dont hate any of our past managers. I just dislike their involvement with my club. And Dalglish is the one manager that I dislike the most. For reasons that most on here have been mentioned. 

Hate IS a strong word. I hate paedew and bruce as the smarmy cockney started my falling out of love with football and my club, and bruce nearly finished me off entirely. There is nothing redeemable about either cretin (in any part of their lives, not just at my club) and I actually hate them.

I disliked a lot of them, Dagleish, Big Sam etc of the more modern era. I won't go back as far as my 78 years permits. Pardew I just found to be a tosser, McLaren just not up to the job but I believe he brought in Shelvey so a plus there. Bruce  I totally detest and do really hate and the strange thing is I always have done. I remember when it was rumoured that he might take over from SBR and just the thought of it destroyed me. I can not ever see why owners of football clubs would want to employ him. Apart from a half reasonable spell at Hull every club he's managed has gone backwards and good players ruined.

So yes I hate Steve Bruce

9 hours ago, JumpersForGoalposts said:

Not by a long shot. He didn't do well at all managing the team, trying to make them more defensive and solid,  but did a lot of good restoring the reserves, and brought in some good players like Hamman and Solano despite not having the same level of funding seen in the preceding years. Yes Rush was a terrible idea, but Barnes and Pearce did ok

Bruce is deffo the worst of the lot of them, proper plastic geordie, always trying to wiggle his way out of taking responsibility and blaming anything and anyone he could. Absolute garbage as a manager!

Pardew was second after we got to know the real sneak/creep of a person after the leaks about "the king", his sideline antics and interviews.

Kinnear was a joke from minute one and was one of Ashley´s spiteful moments to get one back on us.

the rest (Dalgleish, souness, allardice) were just pretty average managers who I don´t think had much interest in us tbh, and us in them obviously!

I don't hate Dalglish, despite how far back we went under him. I think much of that wasn't his fault.

He had to follow on from an utterly beloved manager who'd worked miracles. He apparently had not much money, with the club becoming a PLC. Sure he bought players, but he had to sell to buy. Those buys often weren't as good as what we sold, but he had the unenviable task of having to increase our squad depth whilst not decreasing our first team strength, whilst maintaining a very small net spend. That's almost impossible, and if you think back, was probably a big factor in why Keegan walked - I don't think he wanted to operate under those restraints himself.

So yeah, Dalglish didn't cover himself in glory, but he was working under very hard conditions compared to the man who's reign he's so often compared to. I don't think there were many managers in world football who would have done a great job in those circumstances and I reserve infinitely more ire for the likes of Pardew and Bruce.

For me, in increasing order of how I look at their time at Newcastle it's:

HATE

Bruce = Pardew

Gullitt

Allardyce

DISLIKE/DISGUST

Carver = Kinnear

Souness

Dalglish

McClaren

APATHY

Shearer

Roeder

FONDNESS

Hughton

Benitez

Howe

ADORE

Robson

Keegan

Howe is getting close to moving into that final group, just needs a bit more time and sustained good stuff. He's already there in my head for what he's done so far, I just think he needs more time at the club to be talked about in the same way as Keegan and Robson.

Fuck me, looking at that list we've had more than our fair share of dogshit. :lol:

6 minutes ago, Optimistic Nut said:

I hate Allardyce less but aye. He played shite football but he didn't hide the fact, and he was mainly good at it.

This.

If we'd kept Allardyce, we'd have not been relegated in 2009. That said I'd have gouged my own eyes out at the football, but we'd have stayed up. He had a better points per game than any of Keegan, Kinnear, Hughton, or Shearer who came after him before we went down and I'm confident he'd have sustained this.

However I remember watching us play Liverpool at St James' Park when they won 3-0 I think? We didn't have a shot of any description, nor a corner, until 70 minutes. I don't think I've ever sat as bored and disinterested in my entire life, and I'd paid to be there. It's hard to describe to people who didn't see Allardyce-ball just how utterly forlorn it was. I'd rather sit and stare at a wall for 2 hours.

Edited by Chris_R

Must say, on a personal level I honestly don't hate Bruce at all. I had basically checked out of supporting the club for most of his time here particularly during COVIDball. It is no judge on how bad a manager he was it's just I was completely disconnected to even care.

The last and only manager I really had the energy to hate was Pardew. 

Edited by ponsaelius

2 hours ago, jackyboy said:

I won't go back as far as my 78 years permits. 

17 minutes ago, Chris_R said:

Fuck me, looking at that list we've had more than our fair share of dogshit. :lol:

Try telling the kids about Lee, Dinnis and McGarry and they won't believe you ?