sunderland in the EFL

Big River

Just now, Optimistic Nut said:

Naah, Southampton seem a proper club. Probably just nostalgia but Southampton v Coventry last night is an old-school PL fixture for me. 

Surely Leeds are as much of a ‘proper club’ as Southampton?

The issue with Southampton, and the likes of Norwich, is that they’re at the other end of the country, so, understandably, fans find it a right pain in the arse to get up here.

Once they’ve been here a couple of times, the hassle overtakes the novelty for many, and if you chuck in an unsociable ko time, you get half full away ends, which contribute to ‘dead’ atmospheres.

And obviously it’s also a pain in the arse for us to travel the other way too.

25 minutes ago, Joelinton7 said:

While we have Isak, Bruno and Gordon, players with technical skill and game intelligence, who regularly display moments of individual brilliance, they have Luke O’Nien. This is what constitutes being a “legend” up there. “You’ve been O’Nien’ed” 😳. Did the same to Miley and tried to do it to Isak before he danced past him laughing his arse off at some league one journeyman trying to make a name for himself. 

https://x.com/liamrand4/status/1777810200889610422?s=46&t=DcLbGwd6hoDY9gGMy-ZgEw

Don't get me wrong, I love an old fashioned "man and ball" crunching tackle, but that's just a badly-timed, clumsy foul [emoji38] 

18 hours ago, Heron said:

I actually don't mint Leeds. Proper club. Got a respect for them and think they have for us, despite wanting to be top dogs in the North etc.

A game against Leeds always feels like a big game for me, maybe that's history talking but they were a big club when I was growing up. Plus we owe them one for that horrendous performance we put up against them when Allardyce took charge there.

4 hours ago, SteV said:

The issue with Southampton, and the likes of Norwich, is that they’re at the other end of the country, so, understandably, fans find it a right pain in the arse to get up here.

Once they’ve been here a couple of times, the hassle overtakes the novelty for many, and if you chuck in an unsociable ko time, you get half full away ends, which contribute to ‘dead’ atmospheres.

Think I just hate Leeds. Big chips on their shoulders similar to Forest and Everton.

Never understood the hype with Leeds I'll be honest. 3 league titles and 1 FA Cup in their entire history I think it is and in Europe 2 Fairs Cups so 6 trophies to their name.

They've spent far longer out of the top flight than in it and despite being the biggest city in England with only 1 club in it have never averaged over 40k in a season before. In fact they don't even make it into the top 10 in the all time attendance table despite a huge catchment area which suggests Leeds isn't a particularly big footballing city.

Edited by Wallsendmag

20 minutes ago, Wallsendmag said:

Never understood the hype with Leeds I'll be honest. 3 league titles and 1 FA Cup in their entire history I think it is and in Europe 2 Fairs Cups so 6 trophies to their name.

They've spent far longer out of the top flight than in it and despite being the biggest city in England with only 1 club in it have never averaged over 40k in a season before. In fact they don't even make it into the top 10 in the all time attendance table despite a huge catchment area which suggests Leeds isn't a particularly big footballing city.

There's an obvious reason for that.

Mackems all delighted on the phone in, current caller called it a "Fabulous performance"

Created nothing, and defended with 8 men behind the ball to get a point that guaranteed they can't make the play offs. 

Half a decent ref would have given Leeds 2 pens too. (He's our ref on Sat)

Delusional.

Edited by Karjala

2 minutes ago, Karjala said:

Mackems all delighted on the phone in, current caller called it a "Fabulous performance"

Created nothing, and defended with 8 men behind the ball to get a point that guaranteed they can't make the play offs. 

Half a decent ref would have given Leeds 2 pens too. (He's our ref on Sat)

Delusional.

It's all relative. They've won 1 in 13, maybe their performance was about as good as they could have wished for. It speaks volumes about where they are as a club and a fanbase mind :lol:

3 hours ago, Troll said:

There's an obvious reason for that.

Please explain? I know that for a large part of the last 100 years Elland Road has held well in excess of 40k so it can't be down to ground capacity.

Their capacity has been under 40,000 for the last 30 odd years, and if you want to go back further than that, their average attendance was over 40k in 70/71.

They've not threatened the 40000 capacity enough to justify any more until very recently over those 30years. Its been a ground that's rarely been filled historically rather than rarely unfilled. Was regularly empty spaces visibly in the 90s-04 PL run.

As this is the Sunderland thread, Leeds support historically probably isn't on Sunderland's level so they ought to really carry the same vibe.

I always thought of them as a big club because they were when I got into football but their history is surprisingly stark and gates surprisingly unimpressive.

10 hours ago, SteV said:

I’m with you 100% on travel.  Always preferred Northern clubs in the PL over Soton or Ipswich.  I just hate Leeds :) 

5 hours ago, Wallsendmag said:

Are we really going down that road? We're not much better, especially not for almost the entirety of the last seven decades, which is the functioning memory of almost our entire active fan base.

"Bald men" and "comb" spring to mind.

8 hours ago, Chris_R said:

Are we really going down that road? We're not much better, especially not for almost the entirety of the last seven decades, which is the functioning memory of almost our entire active fan base.

"Bald men" and "comb" spring to mind.

Well our fanbase pisses all over theirs, as does our trophy count, as does our time in the top flight so I'd say I'm comfortable going down that road.

Also history starts at the beginning and ends at the present, unless you are bringing in an imaginary cut off date here, and our history is far greater than theirs.

They are traditionally a 2nd tier team, and they don't even make it into the top 10 in the Country for support. In fact they aren't even the most successful club in Yorkshire. Sheff Wed have won more than they have. 

Edited by Wallsendmag

I honestly can't imagine knowing who their players are, what their contract details are or what percentage of revenue is spent on the overall wage bill.

Totally obsessed, this duck egg doesn't support sunlun, they're Anti-Newcastle fans 

On 05/04/2022 at 19:12, JonBez comesock said:

I didn’t realise they were still in the football league tbh 

No idea who plays for them or who they play each week , farcical 

Apart from Clarke I dont really know their players anymore. 

They're really happy now mind having made gloomy predictions for us v Spurs.

Most of them seem to watch us obsessively...🤭

4 minutes ago, TheBrownBottle said:

IMG_7631.thumb.png.a52bfaa900fd6e9fa171970940808b3a.pngYou don’t earn as much as the CL, that’s for sure.  But you would earn more than a club earns for finishing mid table in the second division …

Their match threads on us are just full of bitterness and lies. The cowards always pull our match thread pretty quickly when we win and leave it on a day or two when we lose. Fuck them, they will be stinking out the lower leagues for a few years yet

Edited by et tu brute

1 minute ago, et tu brute said:

Their match threads on us are just full of bitterness and lies. The cowards always pull our match thread pretty quickly when we win and leave it on a day or two when we lose. Fuck them, they will be stinking out the lower leagues for a few years yet

I had a Quick Look on there after the match - before they pull it :) 

There’s a few who genuinely seem to believe that every game we win is down to bribery.  It has to be an exhausting way to live.  They need to just get over it