sunderland in the EFL

Big River

12 minutes ago, Beth said:

So what you are saying is there is more or less the same number in the ground for the whole season, regardless of what league they are in or how good they are doing?

No what I'm saying is that they are stating crowds of 40,000 based on tickets sold, which their fans are defending. When there is at least 5,000 plus fans below (some midweek games 10,000 or more) the actual attendance of people in the ground. Read my original post, I said you can accept a few hundred even a max of 1,000 people not attending for varying reasons, but no way 5,000 plus. All you have to do is look at their accounts to see this is bullshit.

Edited by et tu brute

5 minutes ago, et tu brute said:

No what I'm saying is that the are stating crowds of 40,000 based on tickets sold, which their fans are defending . When there is at least 5,000 plus fans below (some midweek games 10,000 or more)the actual attendance of people in the ground. Read my original post, I said you can accept a few hundred even a max of 1,000 people not attending for varying reasons, but no way 5,000 plus. All you have to do is look at their accounts to see this is bullshit.

So you are saying they are overstating the actual number of tickets they've even sold for a game? Is that legal?

18 hours ago, Paullow said:

Sunderland have finished in the top 12 of English football only 3 times since 1955/56, the 2 back to back 7th place finishes under 'Reidy' and that 10th under Brewcy (where they passed up on the final day after our Pardew WBA home debacle), and all 3 of those seasons they were decently placed fairly well into the season.

1999/20 - they were 3rd heading into Christmas and 8 points clear of 6th place.

image.thumb.png.5e88c7e30cebe6b3d0a3ce351f223d9f.png

2000/01 - they were second after 23 (and 24 games)

image.thumb.png.5d39cb1d9102d69e70c9e1fe8313e803.png

And finally that weird season under Bruce in 2010/11 - they were 6th after 24 games, well clear of 7th, but then only got 1 point from their next 9 matches, and I think they were 13th or 14th on the final day before beating already relegated West Ham and passing 3 or 4 clubs (including us) to claim a lucrative 10th place finish.

image.thumb.png.88f5524f1b74ec24e4e82cd318daeb0a.png

So that's 3 fairly decent league finishes, or perhaps 2, in 70 years. If you got into football when you were like 8 or 9 then you'd have to be around 80+ years old to remember anything better, yet despite 3 top 12 finishes in 70 years (and counting, as they're unlikely to get there again anytime soon) I'd imagine many, or most, of their fans would consider them a top 12 club in the country.

In that same time period they've finished in the bottom half of the 2nd flight or in the 3rd flight 16 times 

6 minutes ago, Beth said:

So you are saying they are overstating the actual number of tickets they've even sold for a game? Is that legal?

Yes because the actual attendance will be given to the emergency services. Every club does it this way, but they don't exaggerate their figures by 5,000 plus

Attendance: the number of people present at a particular place or event.

I assume they must record actual numbers attending for H&S, policing, ordering blue pop etc. 

Attendance is not “sales” and fuck knows why their club are trying to pull a fast one?  Potential buyers, tax dodge, pretending they’re a massive club?

5 minutes ago, RS said:

Attendance: the number of people present at a particular place or event.

I assume they must record actual numbers attending for H&S, policing, ordering blue pop etc. 

Attendance is not “sales” and fuck knows why their club are trying to pull a fast one?  Potential buyers, tax dodge, pretending they’re a massive club?

No doubt they are counting tickets giving to school, universities and businesses, as no way 5,000 plus people are paying for tickets and not attending each game. Their accounts on ticket revenue back this up also.

5 minutes ago, et tu brute said:

No doubt they are counting tickets giving to school, universities and businesses, as no way 5,000 plus people are paying for tickets and not attending each game. Their accounts on ticket revenue back this up also.

I've mentioned this before on this thread - my mates daughter went to Sunderland Uni and reckoned there was always a pile of match tickets on one of the reception desks. 

The students were told to help themselves, but not to take more than fifteen each!

This was during the Reidy years when they were flying as well.

Since its mostly season ticket based these days, there shouldn't be any drop off even if there's nothing to play for.

The figures they give might be "tickets distributed" rather than tickets sold but either way its suss and insecure to give an attendance as that rather than what everyone else does and count the people through the turnstiles - which is the point of turnstiles from what I can see.

39 minutes ago, Wolfcastle said:

Since its mostly season ticket based these days, there shouldn't be any drop off even if there's nothing to play for.

The figures they give might be "tickets distributed" rather than tickets sold but either way its suss and insecure to give an attendance as that rather than what everyone else does and count the people through the turnstiles - which is the point of turnstiles from what I can see.

Tbf, all major clubs count ‘attendance’ like that nowadays. We most probably do.

The difference is most major clubs don’t give thousands and thousands of tickets  away that don’t end up getting used.

The most obvious example was when Man Utd v Bournemouth got called off on the last day of 16/17. When they did play a few days later, the attendance was still announced as 74k despite the stadium being half empty.

Greece wants its stolen Parthenon (‘Elgin’) marbles back; Nigeria has campaigned for the restoration of the Benin bronzes; Egypt has repeatedly laid claim to the Rosetta Stone

All pale into insignificance against the biggest cultural rape of all - the Mags stealing that Mackem ditty, The Blaydon Races.  Because Blaydon is in County Durham, y’knaa:

IMG_7654.thumb.png.150bda45d2ccdfc0a897eb53c5ff2d80.pngIMG_7655.thumb.png.6da1cb3774aa21e165daf55052a8307b.png

On a side note they have such a weird obsession and hatred with anything or anyone from County Durham that isn't a MLF, they genuinely believe the whole of the County should be red and white and anyone that isn't is some sort of Judas .

22 minutes ago, LordJake said:

Balmbra’s, Collingwood St, Armstrongs Factory to a race meeting held on an island in the Tyne. County Durham song my arse!

Scotswood Road too! As you say, Durham my arse!

1 hour ago, TheBrownBottle said:

Greece wants its stolen Parthenon (‘Elgin’) marbles back; Nigeria has campaigned for the restoration of the Benin bronzes; Egypt has repeatedly laid claim to the Rosetta Stone

All pale into insignificance against the biggest cultural rape of all - the Mags stealing that Mackem ditty, The Blaydon Races.  Because Blaydon is in County Durham, y’knaa:

IMG_7654.thumb.png.150bda45d2ccdfc0a897eb53c5ff2d80.pngIMG_7655.thumb.png.6da1cb3774aa21e165daf55052a8307b.png

It's a song about folk in the day going from Newcastle to attend a place in Gateshead. The fuckers used to sing Geordies in the 80s also

Edited by et tu brute

Tell lies.

Collectively believe lies.

Build on lies with more lies.

Get angry and worked up about lies. 

Forget about their own clubs plight.

FTM

33 minutes ago, Dokko said:

Tell lies.

Collectively believe lies.

Build on lies with more lies.

Get angry and worked up about lies. 

Forget about their own clubs plight.

FTM

I think that's why our training match against them in the cup killed them so much , they had actually convinced themselves they played some of the best football since 2010 Barcelona and that they would give us a game.

They even said they would give the likes of PSG a game when we hammered them 4-1, they genuinely believed it all as well . The fact we turned up strolled about in first gear without breaking sweat and won 3-0 meant they literally had nothing to cling onto anymore .

20 minutes ago, Geogaddi said:

I think that's why our training match against them in the cup killed them so much , they had actually convinced themselves they played some of the best football since 2010 Barcelona and that they would give us a game.

They even said they would give the likes of PSG a game when we hammered them 4-1, they genuinely believed it all as well . The fact we turned up strolled about in first gear without breaking sweat and won 3-0 meant they literally had nothing to cling onto anymore .

Derailed their season, ownership period and set them back years. All from one match. 

Players adjusted, such as Clarke who was bang in form against trippier who was massively out of form and couldn't do a single thing. So many players who thought they were prem quality now realising the hype was just that. Millions wiped off their values.

I'm not even sure they'd have sacked Mowbray had that fixture not come up. It was total panic stations trying to handle the derby and at each step got it completely wrong. 

Probably one of the biggest self implosions every seen by a football club who were punching way above their limits beforehand. This bad feeing around the club, poor managerial appointment with key players gagging to and will leave, could easily see them back in L1. Their form since beale would have them relegated, and thryll be in a worse position next season.

Such fine margins in that division. 

People are overthinking the attendance (tickets allocated) figures if you think they're making the numbers up or giving thousands away IMO.

Adult Season Tickets are priced from £420, with under-16s able to secure their seat from £55!

Over-65s can support the Black Cats from just £290, with under-22s and under-18s from £180 and £105 respectively.

Under 16s, £2.50 a game. Under 18s, £4.50. Even £8 for under 22s is nowt these days.

The low prices for kids are commendable, but it also means there's very little lost in not attending especially on a school night or when their form is shit and there's nothing to play for.

9 points & 8 goals from the last 14 games, no chance of the playoffs, and no threat of relegation. It's no wonder half of them aren't turning up.

Edited by UV

1 minute ago, UV said:

People are overthinking the attendance (tickets allocated) figures if you think they're making the numbers up or giving thousands away IMO.

Under 16s, £2.50 a game. Under 18s, £4.50. Even £8 for under 22s is nowt these days.

The low prices for kids are commendable, but it also means there's very little lost in not attending especially on a school night or when their form is shit and there's nothing to play for.

9 points from the last 14 games, no chance of the playoffs, and no threat of relegation. It's no wonder half of them aren't turning up.

Yes, but it’s been like that all season. OK, it’s probably got a bit more obvious recently, well ever since the fiasco against us, and basically just sacking the season off from that point onwards.

Clearly midweek is understandable to a degree, but why would there be so many missing on a Saturday in October?

2 hours ago, et tu brute said:

It's a song about folk in the day going from Newcastle to attend a place in Gateshead. The fuckers used to sing Geordies in the 80s also

I think the song is about professional boat racing on the Tyne, and not horse racing. I maybe wrong, but apparently this was a huge thing with huge amount of prize money. 

8 minutes ago, timinperu said:

I think the song is about professional boat racing on the Tyne, and not horse racing. I maybe wrong, but apparently this was a huge thing with huge amount of prize money. 

Professional boat racing WAS a big thing in the 19th century, but The Blaydon Races IS about an annual horse racing meet on an island in the Tyne.