sunderland in the EFL

Big River

If they sell off a load of players, I very much doubt they will be bringing many in. They will be bringing in from the academy.

I got the feeling that Bellingham was their big name signing for the next few seasons, obviously hoping he has something similar to his brother and having to sell him later down the line, or at the very least hoping that someone somewhere thinks that he will, and pay over the odds for him. It’s like Anton Ferdinand all over again.

11 minutes ago, Stifler said:

If they sell off a load of players, I very much doubt they will be bringing many in. They will be bringing in from the academy.

I got the feeling that Bellingham was their big name signing for the next few seasons, obviously hoping he has something similar to his brother and having to sell him later down the line, or at the very least hoping that someone somewhere thinks that he will, and pay over the odds for him. It’s like Anton Ferdinand all over again.

Cracking comparison. Jude is a one off, Jobe might carve out a decent career but looks to be based more on surname than deeds.

39 minutes ago, Dokko said:

Let's see. I bet you I'm not far off considering Patterson is supposedly nearly a done deal at £12m. No one knows until it's done (even then some are undisclosed - but you'd think this regime will want to show off the values of their players, to encourage others to join and prove the model correct)

I agree re the owners and their beloved ‘model’, but there’s no way that those players are all worth those values.  Agree to disagree tbf 

2 hours ago, Nucasol said:

Did think a mackem had written that. £8m for Rigg with one year on his contract? Try £3m. Bellingham has been shite for large chunks of the season too. Their form has hugely eroded their values.

Dokko isn’t a Mackem - I’d be frightened if he was negotiating transfer fees for us mind :) 

4 minutes ago, TheBrownBottle said:

I agree re the owners and their beloved ‘model’, but there’s no way that those players are all worth those values.  Agree to disagree tbf 

Fair play to them if they can get £12m for Patterson. Makes the £10m we paid for Nick Pope seem like daylight robbery!

Just now, Wallsendmag said:

Fair play to them if they can get £12m for Patterson. Makes the £10m we paid for Nick Pope seem like daylight robbery!

Aye, it would look like a crazy fee to me.  Patterson looks like a decent keeper, but any club buying him would be buying from a bottom-half second division club.  Would they really say no to less than that?

4 minutes ago, TheBrownBottle said:

Aye, it would look like a crazy fee to me.  Patterson looks like a decent keeper, but any club buying him would be buying from a bottom-half second division club.  Would they really say no to less than that?

When you watch the highlights of their games on SSN he seems to be to blame for a very large proportion of the goals they concede, usually because he flaps at crosses so badly. In this day and age of strict FFP and PSR rules etc it would be a bold chairman who writes a cheque for £12m for him I'd think.

41 minutes ago, Fezzle said:

£8m for a kid whose fee will go to tribunal is fucking batshit 😂

He's contracted till 2025. When it does happen, this isn't going to be a Stephen glass fee at his age with championship games already, plus another season of exposure.

41 minutes ago, Wallsendmag said:

£12m is the fee going round, as I said earlier, anything over £8m is very good money.

He's looked good under a decent manager, since the chaos not so much, but you have to remember what the likes of Longstaff, Joelinton, lacelles, Krafth, Murphy etc...looked like under Bruce and realise stability, ability and good management can make a huge difference to a player, especially younger ones.

Assuming they did get the upper end of those guesstimate valuations, they'd need to completely rebuild their squad - it probably needs some major surgery anyway, and I don't see much appetite from their current owners to gamble in that way.

Was wondering how much their whole club was worth - I'd guess maybe £100m? That's for a club treading water and making losses, where an extended period out of the PL makes you fall off the face of the earth media-coverage wise, and where their upper limits in my lifetime were the Peter Reid days.

Which was still unsustainable, in an area generally in decline and without the money in the fanbase to increase gates to the level they can compete with. Not to mention the dreaded North sea.

They seem locked into where they are right now, like a lot of other similar clubs. And with the barriers to getting that high again seemingly so huge, I'm not sure it's worth anyone pumping money in. 

A huge reliance on their academy then, and maybe a couple of lucky play-offs, to get them a season or two in the PL with the hope of parachute money to give them a chance of being a perennial yo-yo club. Pretty dispiriting really.

I don't think I'm being overly negative towards them there either.

23 minutes ago, Dokko said:

He's contracted till 2025. When it does happen, this isn't going to be a Stephen glass fee at his age with championship games already, plus another season of exposure.

It's a scholarship contract man. They aren't getting near £8m 🤣

13 hours ago, TheBrownBottle said:

£12m for Patterson 

£15m for Clarke

£12m for Ballard

£12m for Neill

£12m for Bellingham

£8m Rigg

£5m Hume

If that's what their players are worth, how much are the squads worth of the fifteen teams that finished above them? 

Are there really that many squads packed full of £10m+ players, all just bobbing around in the lower-mid championship waiting to be snatched up by PL teams?

Or are they chatting absolute soil again, and would be lucky to shift half that dross for any money at all?

One of those options is correct, but I guess it's a complete mystery which one it is...

2 minutes ago, Chris_R said:

If that's what their players are worth, how much are the squads worth of the fifteen teams that finished above them? 

Are there really that many squads packed full of £10m+ players, all just bobbing around in the lower-mid championship waiting to be snatched up by PL teams?

Or are they chatting absolute soil again, and would be lucky to shift half that dross for any money at all?

One of those options is correct, but I guess it's a complete mystery which one it is...

Endorsed by Chris Rigg, things you love to see!

Just now, Optimistic Nut said:

Looks like Will Still is going there.

Surprised he hasn't got better offers, massive job on his hands turning that wretched club around 

Why is that weird energy drink scruff still licking Sunderland’s arse and arguing with Newcastle fans on Twitter. Strange 

5 minutes ago, gdm said:

Why is that weird energy drink scruff still licking Sunderland’s arse and arguing with Newcastle fans on Twitter. Strange 

He's desperate to try and become relevant. 

Him and the mackems are a match made in heaven.

A team which has finished 16th is no way going to get those figures quoted by Dokko. I presume he hasn't watched Sunderland recently and is being bought in by the usual mackem shite. Burnley offered £13 million for Clarke, which is about right for a 23 year old who hasn't played a minute of top flight football. As for the other fees quoted, not one is worth anywhere near 10 million. 

32 minutes ago, gdm said:

Actually met the bloke through work, hasnt a pot to piss in but think's he can buy a championship club like its pocket change.

1 hour ago, Abacus said:

Assuming they did get the upper end of those guesstimate valuations, they'd need to completely rebuild their squad - it probably needs some major surgery anyway, and I don't see much appetite from their current owners to gamble in that way.

Was wondering how much their whole club was worth - I'd guess maybe £100m? That's for a club treading water and making losses, where an extended period out of the PL makes you fall off the face of the earth media-coverage wise, and where their upper limits in my lifetime were the Peter Reid days.

Which was still unsustainable, in an area generally in decline and without the money in the fanbase to increase gates to the level they can compete with. Not to mention the dreaded North sea.

They seem locked into where they are right now, like a lot of other similar clubs. And with the barriers to getting that high again seemingly so huge, I'm not sure it's worth anyone pumping money in. 

A huge reliance on their academy then, and maybe a couple of lucky play-offs, to get them a season or two in the PL with the hope of parachute money to give them a chance of being a perennial yo-yo club. Pretty dispiriting really.

I don't think I'm being overly negative towards them there either.

Not a chance they are worth that much

If they were a Premier League club then yes because the TV money would justify that valuation

However they are very much a bang average championship side who don't generate a huge amount of money 

1 hour ago, NUFC91 said:

Actually met the bloke through work, hasnt a pot to piss in but think's he can buy a championship club like its pocket change.

He’ll be fishing for someone to fund him to do a leverage buyout.