Bolton vs Newcastle United - Post Match Thoughts

BlufPurdi

Guest Saint Andy

Same old story at Bolton.

blueyes.gif

They really do bully us out of the park. Disappointing after the bright start but I would have taken a draw before the game so it's alright. Must pick up some points at Goodison though, massive game for our confidence/morale.

How can they fail when they get every decision going?, cheating C***s.

yeah, that diouf dive on the edge of the box was discraceful.

A draw would have been a good result here and we somehow bossed them for the opening periods, until the defensive mistakes (which were always going to be an issue when you play such a makeshift back 5.)

I'm not too disheartened at all, let's just hope we've got some players back for Everton otherwise we might be looking at much of the same.

Agreed.

I'm going to avoid this thread from now on because I know it's just going to devolve into a lot of kneejerk reactions, bickering, wind-ups and people biting.

Guest Alan Shearer 9

4-5-1 against Bolton.

Need two strikers against Everton.

Wasn't 4-5-1 mate. It was a 4-3-3. Very similar to how Chelsea played last year. And it worked like a charm until they scored.

Until Ramage scored a Batistuta-esque bullet header past Srnicek you mean

Srnicek - 5 - poor kicking and communication caused plenty of problems.

Edgar - 5  - very hesitant, especially leading up to bolton's first, this put pressure on his team mates

Huntington - 6 - decent for most the match, struggled a bit when bolton doubled up against him and lost his discipline late on. i think he's a talent.

Ramage - 3 - own goal for their first, nutmegged for their second, 3 other mistakes through the match. poor game, i feel partially caused by the nervous play of the youngsters and srnicek.

Taylor - 7 - another good match. poor clearance for their first, but he was forced to take responsibility after edgar hesitated

Milner - 6 - one or two very promising runs

Parker - 6 - excellent first half hour, then seemed to vanish

Butt - 6.5 - solid, couldve done better on the one or two occasions he broke forward though

Martins - 7 - was a class above bolton in the first half, taking on player after player and harrasing bolton defenders. some excellent movement into the channels and good deliveries. was less prominent in the 2nd half.

Sibierski - 5 - failed to do his job, didnt win much in the air or hold the ball up

Dyer - 7 - super goal, similar play to Martins until he tired

Given the back line, not too bad. Remember Bolton stuffed West Ham 4-0 earlier this season, and they've beaten Liverpool and Arsenal at the Reebok as well. They've just gone third - so it's not like they're a bad team.

Oh, and Ashley Cole scored an own goal for Chelsea. Do you think they'll want to get shot of him now?

4-5-1 against Bolton.

We absolutely bossed the game for the opening half hour playing the way Roeder set us up, the inexperience of the back four and Pav's lack of match practice/eccentricity seems to have been our undoing. I wouldn't have had us down to even score here, let alone make a game of it.

We did seem awful second half, admittedly, but once Bolton got given that lifeline it was always going to be very hard - it would have taken a very brave man to go 4-4-2 at 1-1. I don't think his tactics can be knocked too much here as it seemed like we still created a fair few chances.

If people were expecting to win here with the team we fielded then their expectations are far too high, we've been beaten by far worse Bolton teams with far better Newcastle teams at the Reebok.

4-5-1 against Bolton.

Wasn't 4-5-1 mate. It was a 4-3-3. Very similar to how Chelsea played last year. And it worked like a charm until they scored.

Until Ramage scored a Batistuta-esque bullet header past Srnicek you mean

I do think you're funny and all that but the joke is wearing a little thin now is all.

Pav had a shocker today and he was at fault for the own goal, not Ramage.

Why didn't Nobby start? Is he injured?

Frustrating giving goals away the way we do!! We didn't play badly and arguably deserved  a draw, but it won't stop some of the knee jerk idiots panicking and wanting to replace everyone.

Given the back line, not too bad. Remember Bolton stuffed West Ham 4-0 earlier this season, and they've beaten Liverpool and Arsenal at the Reebok as well. They've just gone third - so it's not like they're a bad team.

Oh, and Ashley Cole scored an own goal for Chelsea. Do you think they'll want to get shot of him now?

no,because he didnt score the own goal..,so taking him out will be a bit unfair :)

Guest sunderlandsuck

First-half diagnosis?

just how i expected it to be tbh

Second-half diagnosis?

seemed to lack effort

Full-time diagnosis?

bit dissapointed with effort and mistakes

Star man for United?

pav. automatically tbh ;)

Worst United player?

parker

Opposition comment?

good at what they do.

Toon-pros?

a young back four which can only improve!

Toon-cons?

looked clueless at times

Post-match feelings?

bring on manure!

Guest Alan Shearer 9

Solano played at least the last game with a groin injury. He needs rest, unfortunately for us our defence is a whole lot shitter without him

End of the day, communication problem for the 1st goal, who's fault is that? 23 year old defender, or 38 year old keeper?

Just as much Davies at fault as Ramage, could easily been a freekick, but Pav just wasn't concentrating and comically ran past the header back, and even past Ramage himself.

Pav had a shocker today

Can anyone back this up? Just interested to see how he did...

Couldn't really comment. I don't think he had a bad game, it was more the fact the back four were poor today especially Ramage. Very young and very inexperienced defence was not what he needed for his first start.

I think we would have won this game if it wouldn’t have been for this pav/ramage mistake we just lost the momentum and we did never cause them any trouble after that.

But was anything wrong with dyer? We should have kept him on longer we totally lost the pace after that

So please Fat Fred try get some defenders in this is just crazy if we are only going to count on four youngsters in defence and an expired goalkeeper bluecry.gif...................

End of the day, communication problem for the 1st goal, who's fault is that? 23 year old defender, or 38 year old keeper?

ramage was the man near the ball, so it is his responsibility. srnicek definitely contributed with his erratic play but ramage should be able to deal with this, either by holding off the bolton player or kicking it out. heading it as he did was mindless.

Guest Alan Shearer 9

ramage was the man near the ball, so it is his responsibility. srnicek definitely contributed with his erratic play but ramage should be able to deal with this, either by holding off the bolton player or kicking it out. heading it as he did was mindless.

Ramage is meant to be English as well