Bolton vs Newcastle United - Post Match Thoughts

BlufPurdi

fickle posters on this board, all i heard after spurs was ramage motm etc...

one mistake, but he's cartainly not boumsong. and don't forget pav & the back four haven't had too much match time together.

well done Andy, you have given me faith that this forum does have people who think for longer than 2 seconds before posting.

So in fact the team we are playing are near to our full strength. And the starting 11 against Spurs could be said to be our best 11.

^ exactly... some of the injuries we do have are irrelevant or even blessings in disguise.

didn't see the game but from what i hear we did pretty well in the first half and later in the second half. Bolton is arguably one of the hardest grounds to go to in the country, in a similar category to Liverpool, man utd and chelsea. Most teams are happy coming away with anything and so a 2-1 loss isn't anything to get depressed over. We've improved so much over the past few weeks that i am confident we can bounce back and get a result at Everton.

I believe Harper could be back for the next match along with Given which is good news. Keep the faith lads, we can do it so long as we stick together.

We played against Tottenham on Saturday 23

Played today (Tuesday) 26

Play on Saturday 30

Play on Monday 1

Thats 4 games in 9 days. A reason why players are going to be taken off. No shame in losing by a goal at Bolton (Arsenal got thrashed by them), its just disappointing. A mistake, but it sounded like we played brilliantly in the first half.

I didn't expect anything today,  to be honest.  Hopefully taking off Dyer and Milner will keep them fresh for Everton,  and HOPEFULLY,  Given and Nobby are both back.  If so,  we should get something there.

Play on Saturday 30

Play on Monday 1

Thats 4 games in 9 days. A reason why players are going to be taken off. No shame in losing by a goal at Bolton (Arsenal got thrashed by them), its just disappointing. A mistake, but it sounded like we played brilliantly in the first half.

I agree, it is no shame to lose at Bolton these days. They're niggly feckers I'd rather see lose, but you can't argue with their league position.

I wouldn't expect much out of Man United on NY day, though. They were utterly fucking awesome against us on saturday, Ronaldo's performance was the best I've seen at our place for a few years, and he scored twice again today, despite starting on the bench.

Play on Saturday 30

Play on Monday 1

I agree, it is no shame to lose at Bolton these days. They're niggly feckers I'd rather see lose, but you can't argue with their league position.

I wouldn't expect much out of Man United on NY day, though. They were utterly f***ing awesome against us on saturday, Ronaldo's performance was the best I've seen at our place for a few years, and he scored twice again today, despite starting on the bench.

Ronaldo is one of the best players I have ever seen play. No shame in conceeding a couple from him.

Why was Emre left on the bench?

Was he injured or didn't Roeder have the balls to drop captain fantastic?

So Butt did betterr than Parker?

Parker is one of the better players for goodness sake.

Stop the irrational Parker bashing.

Play on Saturday 30

Play on Monday 1

I wouldn't expect much out of Man United on NY day, though. They were utterly f***ing awesome against us on saturday, Ronaldo's performance was the best I've seen at our place for a few years, and he scored twice again today, despite starting on the bench.

Ronaldo is one of the best players I have ever seen play. No shame in conceeding a couple from him.

I loathe him. but he is absolute quality. I loathe United full stop, but in the second half, they played that fast counter attack game that is absolutely impossible to defend against.

Compare and contrast with Chelsea's style of play, and you've got to be impressed.

Who mentioned Butt?

My point is Roeder is happy to break up our best midfield partnership to accommodate Parker as he's captain.

Guest raydetmold

butt is player of the season so far , not even an argument

]

Who mentioned Butt?

My point is Roeder is happy to break up our best midfield partnership to accommodate Parker as he's captain.

Guest Knightrider

Expected a defeat so ain't at all upset, although defeat when leading is hard to take but we were bound to come up against it at some stage and Bolton are a very very good side, especially at home.

Given the back line, not too bad. Remember Bolton stuffed West Ham 4-0 earlier this season, and they've beaten Liverpool and Arsenal at the Reebok as well. They've just gone third - so it's not like they're a bad team.

Pretty much my feelings. You can never expect to win at the Reebok. The year we do will be either the first year we win a trophy, or the first year that Bolton are without Sam Allardyce.

It was always going to be tough at Bolton.  Shame for Ramage.  A lot of games in a very short time.  Beat Everton and a setback today.  Ronaldo had only been on the pitch for one minute and then scored. 

Sorry, but Parker was really terrible today.  I'm not overreacting, I don't want him dropped from the team, and I don't regard what happened today as a disaster by any means....but Parker was shocking.

Sam: Newcastle bullied Diouf

Bolton boss Sam Allardyce accused Newcastle of physically abusing striker El-Hadji Diouf after the 2-1 win over the Magpies.

The Senegalese frontman was substituted late on at the Reebok Stadium after playing a part in Nicolas Anelka's 57th-minute winner.

But Allardyce was unhappy with the treatment he received from a Magpies defence with an average age of just over 20.

He said: "Diouf terrorised the opposition and got some very, very heavy challenges indeed that were not protected enough for such a quality player.

"We got the free-kicks, but there were far too many given against him. They tried physically to abuse him today and they did not get away with it.

"He did not react and he helped us win a very important game."

Newcastle raced into an eighth-minute lead via Kieron Dyer's second strike in as many games, and might have been further ahead before Bolton hit back.

Even then, they needed a helping hand, defender Peter Ramage heading past keeper Pavel Srnicek under pressure from Kevin Nolan 13 minutes before half-time.

Anelka ultimately won it 12 minutes into the second half after Kevin Davies and then Diouf had helped on Ivan Campo's long throw to leave the Bolton fans dreaming of Europe once again.

Allardyce said: "We have had a tremendous run of victories, but we had that little spell in the middle of it where we were playing some excellent stuff and ended up losing 1-0 instead of getting draws or victories.

"It was important today that the players reacted the right way when we went 1-0 down. A few games, we have done that and come storming back in the second half to take the victory.

"We are reaping the rewards of a goalscorer at long last and he (Anelka) popped up in the right area for a tap-in.

"We have not seen that type of goal from him yet. We have seen a lot of quality runs and skill and finishing. Today we saw a goalscorer's goal when he popped up at the far post and tapped it in.

"He got us going even more again in the second half to keep continuing pressing Newcastle and we could have had maybe a goal or two more, but we did not quite find the right final ball or the right shot.

"But it was a great victory having gone 1-0 down and having to claw our way back in the first half on what was a poor performance by us."