Pre-season (2024/25): Hull City (a) (27/07) added to schedule

bowlingcrofty

1 minute ago, The Prophet said:

He definetly improved but statistically at least, he was a weak link in the midfield.

Post Bruce? Thats not surprising and doesnt mean he was bad.. Bruno/Joe/Willock stats will be much better regardless. Stats dont tell the whole story with the position that he plays.

1 minute ago, Jack27 said:

Replace him with Florian Grillitsch on a free, happy days.

:lol:

What a joke man. This isn't FM man. Grillitsch is not coming here to play a backup role.

It's basically a pre season training excercise in ridiculous heat with a lineup that would never be fielded in the league. 

Sometime I wish pre season friendlies just weren't televised, people always read too much into them. 

Just now, The Prophet said:

Or they can acknowledge and appreciate their improvement whilst also observing that they should be replaced in the starting eleven?

And how do you know he's going to be in the starting 11?

Just now, Theregulars said:

@Ikonthink we'll just have to agree to disagree on Shelvey, I think he's a good player but respect your view otherwise. 

Aye of course mate. I think he has some good attributes but he will always be too limited. Looking better than Hendrick and Colback doesn’t make a footballer imo. 

1 minute ago, Ikon said:

Aye of course mate. I think he has some good attributes but he will always be too limited. Looking better than Hendrick and Colback doesn’t make a footballer imo. 

Absolutely, he lacks in too many key areas.

1 minute ago, Jaqen said:

It's basically a pre season training excercise in ridiculous heat with a lineup that would never be fielded in the league. 

Sometime I wish pre season friendlies just weren't televised, people always read too much into them. 

Such a good point. Actually beginning to think it's a bad idea. 

2 minutes ago, Jaqen said:

It’s definitely not something fans should watch. And I’ll have watched 4 or 5 by the time the season starts :lol:

1 minute ago, The Prophet said:

He definetly improved but statistically at least, he was a weak link in the midfield.

He just slows the game too much and his lack of mobility is highly noticeable also. As I keep saying we need another midfielder in there. Personally I think Paqueta is a no brainer. We really do need that position, right winger and striker to really move forward. Just have to wait and see what happens 

Just now, et tu brute said:

He just slows the game too much and his lack of mobility is highly noticeable also. As I keep saying we need another midfielder in there. Personally I think Paqueta is a no brainer. We really do need that position, right winger and striker to really move forward. Just have to wait and see what happens 

Paqueta wouldnt be playing in Shelveys position. 

Just now, et tu brute said:

Did I say he would?

Well I dont see you're point then? We sign Paqueta and Shelvey remains in the same position, second choice to Bruno or starting if Bruno is pushed up.

1 minute ago, et tu brute said:

I don't anticipate Shelvey starting this year.

Think another midfielder comes in to play alongside Joe and Bruno, and Shelvey will play a back up role to Bruno in that deeper position.

7 minutes ago, Jaqen said:

Well you can glean some patterns repeating themselves, like the bad players still looking pretty useless, so you can draw some conclusions.

2 minutes ago, et tu brute said:

Nope Bruno plays in that position

?? So you identified that Shelvey is a weak link then suggested that we sign Paqueta to fix that which does nothing to strengthen the position that Shelvey plays in? Im lost 

Edited by Nine

3 minutes ago, Nine said:

Well I dont see you're point then? We sign Paqueta and Shelvey remains in the same position, second choice to Bruno or starting if Bruno is pushed up.

Do you see a difference in these starting midfields?

Beg Jow                       Bruno

Shelvey

vs.

Paqueta

Beg Jow                            Bruno

2 minutes ago, loki679 said:

Willock

vs.

Paqueta

FYP

As for Shelvey, looks fit and some cracking passes, give him 5 yards of space and he’ll be fine. Sure, he needs an upgrade but we’ve got more pressing needs. I hope we go full strength for 70 mins next game. We need to know what that looks like. 

4 minutes ago, loki679 said:

Shelvey

vs.

Paqueta

Obviously but you're missing the point, you've got Paqueta and Brunos positions backwards on that. So if we sign Paqeuta that still means that Shelvey is second choice to Bruno.. so again - how does signing Paqueta upgrade the position that Shelvey plays in?

The clamour for Paqueta has gone into overdrive just lately.

Edited by Nine

Just now, Nine said:

?? So you identified that Shelvey is a weak link then suggested that we sign Paqueta to fix it while that does nothing to strengthen the position that Shelvey plays in? Im lost 

Signing Paqueta, dropping Shelvey and playing Bruno there is fixing the problem. Not sure what's so hard to understand about that.

2 minutes ago, et tu brute said:

Signing Paqueta, dropping Shelvey and playing Bruno there is fixing the problem. Not sure what's so hard to understand about that.

Bruno will be starting over Shelvey there most of the time anyway though, thats my point. Its his natural position. 

Edited by Nine