Pre-season (2024/25)

bowlingcrofty

Just now, Hanshithispantz said:

I'm assuming Shelvey is so far back because the pitch is the size of a matchbox.

It’s creating problems though. Too many long adventurous outfits balls form defenders are going straight to oppo. Need to be twenty yards further forward. 

2 minutes ago, Coffee_Johnny said:

It’s creating problems though. Too many long adventurous outfits balls form defenders are going straight to oppo. Need to be twenty yards further forward. 

Aye but it's not a fullsize pitch so it's probably a bit awkward. The 2-3 balls over the top to ASM would probably have worked at SJP 

Edited by Hanshithispantz

Just now, reefatoon said:

I don't think it is as intentional as it is. He goes that far back he is in between them. He then takes a pass from one of the cb's and then plays it to the other one. It's all so pointless. Needs to push a little further forward and not be so deep. When we play without him, nobody else sits that deep. all it does is leave a gaping hole in midlfield.

I disagree, I know you say other players don't do that but that's because Shelvey is his own player, he drops that deeps so that he isn't as pressured on the ball and if the opportunity arises he has space and time to play those long balls over the top.

I'm surprised you think Howe isn't 100% all over it when it comes to this kind of stuff. He won't be letting Shelvey just do whatever the fuck he wants, it's all worked on everyday in training and is dropping deep between CBs is something they will have talked about and been instructed to do.

HT. Nice to be able to see this even if it's not much of a spectacle. We're snatchy, impatient and disorganised, which is par for the course really. Meanwhile we're up against a competent opponent who are up for it.

It's got "good run out" all over it. 

Shelvey severely limits how we play. Absolutely nothing going through the middle with him on the pitch and trying to play a 60yard ball every time. Willock and Anderson may as well not be on the pitch.

Guest reefatoon
5 minutes ago, Mazzy said:

I disagree, I know you say other players don't do that but that's because Shelvey is his own player, he drops that deeps so that he isn't as pressured on the ball and if the opportunity arises he has space and time to play those long balls over the top.

I'm surprised you think Howe isn't 100% all over it when it comes to this kind of stuff. He won't be letting Shelvey just do whatever the fuck he wants, it's all worked on everyday in training and is dropping deep between CBs is something they will have talked about and been instructed to do.

That's the trouble. He wants to keep dropping in deeper, I bet Howe would prefer him to not be in the way of the CB's. I don't mean he should be right up the pitch, he just doesn't need to go so deep, he is like a third CB when we have the ball back there. His long balls are mostly wasted too, so when it comes back, he is too deep and it creates holes in the midfield. He can spray those types of balls around too, he just doesn't have to do it so deep. Watch the difference in the second half when we change the players. It will benefit us.

Edited by reefatoon

Just now, HawK said:

Shelvey severely limits how we play. Absolutely nothing going through the middle with him on the pitch and trying to play a 60yard ball every time. Willock and Anderson may as well not be on the pitch.

he's incredibly frustrating, like. tried about 4 or 5 worldy balls there and not one of them came off. he's got good technique, but this "range of passing" is a total myth, always has been.

You can tell these lads start their season in anger next week whilst we've had a kick about versus Gateshead, like. Hopefully a useful exercise in sharpening up and fitness if nowt else.

Guest reefatoon
Just now, Pilko said:

You can tell these lads start their season in anger next week whilst we've had a kick about versus Gateshead, like. Hopefully a useful exercise in sharpening up and fitness if nowt else.

Exactly. That's what these games are for, get that match sharpness back.