Overrated players

Guest ManDoon

Guest ManDoon
Just now, Kid Icarus said:

Fucking Andy Johnson. 

God yeah, forgot about that prick 

3 minutes ago, LionOfGosforth said:

Tricky thread and topic because there are so many players that could be argued were good, even close to great and yet you don't like them because of x or y and it's all just opinion anyway. Couple more:

Mendieta - memory might be playing tricks, quite good at Lazio but can't recall him doing anything for Boro in the 90s and was a Spanish international for ages

Marcelo - I don't know if he's "overrated" per se but I think he's absolutely terrible. Positionally a joke, runs around like fucking Benny Hill :lol:

Won the champions league twice though.

Guest ManDoon
1 minute ago, Froggy said:

All the Brazilians were at it. Can't be trusted.

Romario was so egregious for it. 

Just now, Flip said:

Right when I leave this thread, you reel me back in.  :lol: Fuck off. First real legend of the game. The king of football. Show some respect.

Nah....

Obviously good at internationals, but then so was Ali Daei. (yes i know it's not a fair comparison) However Peles club career (not goals scored) is pretty feeble even by 70's standards   

Guest ManDoon
Just now, LionOfGosforth said:

McManaman. Not a great player, definitely overrated at least by the English media. Part of that whole spice boys era at Liverpool. Somehow got a move to Madrid, the skinny floppy haired sod. Shit pundit an aal.

Massively agree.

1 minute ago, Shearergol said:

Won the champions league twice though.

Yeah was more a comment on watching him every week at Boro and wondering how/why he was in the Spanish team constantly and not seeing it. I'm sure his trophy haul stands against many though

6 minutes ago, LionOfGosforth said:

Tricky thread and topic because there are so many players that could be argued were good, even close to great and yet you don't like them because of x or y and it's all just opinion anyway. Couple more:

Mendieta - memory might be playing tricks, quite good at Lazio but can't recall him doing anything for Boro in the 90s and was a Spanish international for ages

Marcelo - I don't know if he's "overrated" per se but I think he's absolutely terrible. Positionally a joke, runs around like fucking Benny Hill :lol:

Mendieta turned to garbage after leaving Valencia....probably the most Benitez midfielder in existence

33 minutes ago, LionOfGosforth said:

Many will disagree on this one. Bergkamp. I hated him. No personality, like an automaton. Yeah, he was good, reallygood and maybe even great at times but feted to the point it made me puke. Got so sick of seeing that goal he scored against us when he made a mug of Dabizas.

Funny thing is, I loved that 2000ish Dutch team. Kluivert, Overmars, Stam, Reiziger, Seedorf, Davids etc

My favourite non NUFC Premier League Player.

I feel like a lot of the best players in the world around the turn of the century were a level below the players before or since, so I think the likes of Nedved, Davids, Khan, Owen, Raul, Morientes, Casillas could all be seen as a bit overrated in hindsight.

Guest ManDoon
Just now, Optimistic Nut said:

Crouch. Want to talk about stat padding, his England record is the perfect example.

The ultimate stat pad, worse than Ronaldo’s at int level :bluestar:

5 minutes ago, LionOfGosforth said:

McManaman. Not a great player, definitely overrated at least by the English media. Part of that whole spice boys era at Liverpool. Somehow got a move to Madrid, the skinny floppy haired sod. Shit pundit an aal.

Other way around for me, really good player who the Madrid fans apparently have a lot of time for because he was good for them. 

1 minute ago, Kid Icarus said:

I feel like a lot of the best players in the world around the turn of the century were a level below the players before or since, so I think the likes of Nedved, Davids, Khan, Owen, Raul, Morientes, Casillas could all be seen as a bit overrated in hindsight.

I loved Predrag Mijatovic in that mid-90s Madrid team and I have vivid recollection of Morientes "stealing" his place so disliked him and thought he was a overrated

2 minutes ago, joeyt said:

Might be a controversial one but I'm not sure James Ward Prowse is that good outside of his set pieces

I think the opposite tbh. Think people underrate how good a player he actually is because all people talk about is his free-kicks. Very good passer and engine.

I’ll add Kevin-Prince Boateng to the list, Balotelli is an obvious one, Alexis Sanchez and a recent one is Axel Witsel.

Probably controversial (or already said) but Kaka and Pato were massively overrated.

3 minutes ago, Optimistic Nut said:

I think the opposite tbh. Think people underrate how good a player he actually is because all people talk about is his free-kicks. Very good passer and engine.

Amazing player. Think he’s criminally underrated actually.