Overrated players

Guest ManDoon

12 minutes ago, Kid Icarus said:

Every player who was getting in ahead of Rob Lee for England from '94 to '97.

Scandalous -  was Terry Vegtables fault 

likes of Nicky Barmby, Jamie Redknapp and Steve Stome getting ahead of him - you are kidding me right 

I don’t think Batty got in either

Gonna chuck Cabaye in as an NUFC shout. He was good and one of the better CMs in my time supporting the club but he had plenty of games where he was either anonymous or a bit of a liability. 

Bellamy as a controversial one for the hell of it. Just so unreliable. 

Some older ones:

Martin Demichelis - not a clue how this bloke held down regular spots for Argentina and Bayern. Slow and error prone throughout his career.

Roberto Carlos - loved watching him play and while he was great going forward, he was a woeful defender. Ironically, he'd have have thrived in a modern wing back position.

Claude Makelele - a very tidy defensive midfielder, but there have been far better players in the holding role before and after his career. He's often described as a pioneer and while I can get on board with him being an excellent player, he's far too revered.

Frank Ribery - excellent in spells, but far too inconsistent to be considered a great.

Neymar - at one point, mentioned in the same breath as Messi and Ronaldo, but even in his prime years, his number nor his success come close.

They call him one of the best left-backs ever - but is Ashley Cole really on the same level as Maldini? Perhaps one of those ones I didn't appreciate enough during his playing career

Guest ManDoon
Just now, The Prophet said:

Some older ones:

Martin Demichelis - not a clue how this bloke held down regular spots for Argentina and Bayern. Slow and error prone throughout his career.

Roberto Carlos - loved watching him play and while he was great going forward, he was a woeful defender. Ironically, he'd have have thrived in a modern wing back position.

Claude Makelele - a very tidy defensive midfielder, but there have been far better players in the holding role before and after his career. He's often described as a pioneer and while I can get on board with him being an excellent player, he's far too revered.

Frank Ribery - excellent in spells, but far too inconsistent to be considered a great.

Neymar - at one point, mentioned in the same breath as Messi and Ronaldo, but even in his prime years, his number nor his success come close.

Makalele was incredible Imo. And essentially made a position. 

Guest ManDoon
1 minute ago, kingxlnc said:

They call him one of the best left-backs ever - but is Ashley Cole really on the same level as Maldini? Perhaps one of those ones I didn't appreciate enough during his playing career

He was one of the best in the world for a while imo. Absolutely pocketed prime Ronaldo 

I’ve often thought that there’s a certain clumsiness or something awkward about Alisson Becker which leads me to think he’s perhaps not as good as what people think. But everything I’ve heard from players and coaches is on the contrary so I must be wrong and it’s just an unorthodox style which works very well for him.

Trent is certainly one though, he’s very talented but the rhetoric around him for the past 3 years is that he’s the best right back in the world bar none, which I don’t believe to be the case at all.

Edited by Infinitely Content

1 minute ago, NE27 said:

Hatem Ben arfa:bluestar:

Even though I'm a huge fan of him his career really hasn't matched his ability. Think it's only us who really rate him like [emoji38]

4E047C49-2EA3-4534-AC5A-72FEFACA0479.png

Just now, Mikky said:

Scandalous -  was Terry Vegtables fault 

likes of Nicky Barmby, Jamie Redknapp and Steve Stome getting ahead of him - you are kidding me right 

I don’t think Batty got in either

Redknapp was class against Scotland tbf, agree about the rest though, it was ridiculous. 

Was weird as well, because I remember him calling him up and it being a big deal that he hadn't picked Cole as well. Then after that Lee never really got a proper look in. 

1 minute ago, ManDoon said:

Makalele was incredible Imo. And essentially made a position. 

No doubt he was a very good player, but the likes of (off the top of my head) Redondo and even before him, Dunga and Dechamps played the role brilliantly.

26 minutes ago, wfmk2 said:

Jermaine Jenas. The player and the gobshite on the telly.

Jenas was good when here and it was pretty frustrating when he left from what I remember. He bottled some big pens for Spurs and never really hit the highest levels, but not sure anyone rated him more than what he was.

5 minutes ago, Yorkie said:

Gonna chuck Cabaye in as an NUFC shout. He was good and one of the better CMs in my time supporting the club but he had plenty of games where he was either anonymous or a bit of a liability. 

Excellent shout. Seen him in so many all time Newcastle XIs that also feature players who either played at the same time as or before Rob Lee or Gary Speed. 

Guest ManDoon
2 minutes ago, The Prophet said:

No doubt he was a very good player, but the likes of (off the top of my head) Redondo and even before him, Dunga and Dechamps played the role brilliantly.

Man redondo was a really good player, one for the underrated. Like Guti. 

Guest reefatoon

Grealish the massive wet fanny. Fuck knows how he went for that price, looks gash everytime I have seen him play. More interested in poncing about like a cunt and flinging his floppy haired carcass on the deck every time someone farts next to him.

Edited by reefatoon

Just now, ManDoon said:

No Ben Arfa slander permitted tbh 

Wey aye, and people just casually dropping in modric and cronaldo like nowts the matter[emoji38]

Guest neesy111
3 minutes ago, hakka said:

Jenas was good when here and it was pretty frustrating when he left from what I remember. He bottled some big pens for Spurs and never really hit the highest levels, but not sure anyone rated him more than what he was.

He had 1 good season in 02-03, he was pretty poor from 2003-05.