Overrated players

Guest ManDoon

Just now, Kid Icarus said:

Controversial maybe, but I think Ba is overrated among Newcastle fans. A good all-rounder, but I never thought he was as amazing as some talk about him. 

Think he's only talked about as amazing as everyone thought he would be terrible(yes you did!)....free, potential exploding knee, not having a superb record. Turns out he was pretty damn good for us, whether that was a big purple patch or not.

1 hour ago, Jesse Pinkman said:

Too add my own Pulisic. He seems shite for 4 games and then has one decent game. Not a top level player. 

No surprise that I’ll defend him :lol: but he’s got what, 12? goals + assists while mostly coming off the bench this season. Made of glass though. When healthy he makes the starting XI for every PL club save Liverpool and City. Tuchel also likes to play him up top, where he’s wasted. Would probably benefit from a move elsewhere.

Edited by Tomato Deuce

Guest ManDoon
Just now, Tomato Deuce said:

No surprise that I’ll defend him :lol: but he’s got what, 12? goals + assists while mostly coming off the bench this season. Made of glass though. Tuchel also likes to play him up top, where he’s wasted. Would probably benefit from a move elsewhere.

I rate Pulisic. Needs to move though, would have him here in a heartbeat 

1 minute ago, gjohnson said:

Think he's only talked about as amazing as everyone thought he would be terrible(yes you did!)....free, potential exploding knee, not having a superb record. Turns out he was pretty damn good for us, whether that was a big purple patch or not.

I've often seen him mentioned as having everything, the best forward we've had since Shearer, in the Mike Ashley XI, that sort of thing. All fair enough like, he just never struck me as being that impressive, I was just much more into Carroll or Remy.

6 minutes ago, ManDoon said:

You dropped Beckham tbh, a spicy one but yeah it’s going pretty good for some controversy. If anyone says Shearer im deleting though.

Aye but Ronaldo? :lol: At worst second best player of all time.

De Bruyne and Scholes are at worst in the top five midfielders in PL history surely. :lol: De Bruyne the best for me.

Guest ManDoon

I loved Remy, he just had that killer about him. Like Benzema. His style of play was very easy on the eye as well, great player 

Many will disagree on this one. Bergkamp. I hated him. No personality, like an automaton. Yeah, he was good, reallygood and maybe even great at times but feted to the point it made me puke. Got so sick of seeing that goal he scored against us when he made a mug of Dabizas.

Funny thing is, I loved that 2000ish Dutch team. Kluivert, Overmars, Stam, Reiziger, Seedorf, Davids etc

9 minutes ago, 54 said:

Has Mason Mount been mentioned in here yet? He'd good player, and scores some important goals, but not sure about his overall game.

He's the England/Club performance yang to Harry Maguire and Luke Shaw's yin. 

Edited by Kid Icarus

1 minute ago, Froggy said:

Based on that comment he deserves to be named in here ;)

Guest ManDoon
Just now, Froggy said:

De Bruyne and Scholes are at worst in the top five midfielders in PL history surely. :lol: De Bruyne the best for me.

:lol: haha aye, I mean it’s subjective, for me R9 is the best striker I’ve ever seen, it depends on if you think longevity >>> peak. KDB is prob the best I’ve seen yeah, aside from that insane season Yaya Toure had. That was incredible. He was unplayable 

3 minutes ago, Froggy said:

There's your answer, that's the invitation for people to say he's overrated. 

Edited by Kid Icarus

Guest ManDoon

I’d definitely have R9 over him, and personally Ronaldinho too. Zidane has a shout for me as well. 

3 minutes ago, ManDoon said:

:lol: haha aye, I mean it’s subjective, for me R9 is the best striker I’ve ever seen, it depends on if you think longevity >>> peak. KDB is prob the best I’ve seen yeah, aside from that insane season Yaya Toure had. That was incredible. He was unplayable 

Longevity hugely important over peak IMO. I don't think anyone can argue that Bruno Fernandes in 20/21 was the best midfielder in the league, but he's not a patch on De Bruyne overall. 

If we're talking about peak, then we have a lot of competitors for the best ever. Like you said, R9 and Zidane are up there. Ronaldo and Messi doing it for 15-20 years at the highest level time and time again is the reason they're clear in my opinion. 

Edited by Froggy

Just now, The Prophet said:

Personally I think if you can't enjoy players like Del Piero, Bergkamp and to a lesser extent Berbatov, there's no point in watching football.

I can absolutely hate that twat and still love football :lol:

Guest ManDoon
Just now, Froggy said:

Longevity hugely important over peak IMO. I don't think anyone can argue that Bruno Fernandes in 20/21 was the best midfielder in the league, but he's not a fucking patch on De Bruyne overall. 

If we're talking about peak, then we have a lot of competitors for the best ever. Like you said, R9 and Zidane are up there. Ronaldo and Messi doing it for 15-20 years at the highest level time and time again is the reason they're clear in my opinion. 

That’s fair, it definitely factors into it, Zidane tbf had a pretty long career, and bowing out headbutting an annoying prick also was immense 

2 minutes ago, Kid Icarus said:

I've often seen him mentioned as having everything, the best forward we've had since Shearer, in the Mike Ashley XI, that sort of thing. All fair enough like, he just never struck me as being that impressive, I was just much more into Carroll or Remy.

This exactly....he was a good effective striker in a team playing to his strengths, but he never really did anything particularly memorable apart from maybe the hattrick against Stoke.....he doesn't have anything like Shearers volley against Everton, or the bizarre curling volley against Villa, or even a Carroll 30 yard job against Liverpool. 

Good player though, and certainly did a grand job for us and will be remembered for it.

1 minute ago, LionOfGosforth said:

I can absolutely hate that twat and still love football :lol:

It feels more like a personal dislike than a lack of appreciation :lol:

To be fair, I guess I had Carlos and while he wasn't great defensively he was so fun to watch.

Just now, ManDoon said:

That’s fair, it definitely factors into it, Zidane tbf had a pretty long career, and bowing out headbutting an annoying prick also was immense 

I had Zidane top for a long time, then Messi and Ronaldo kept doing it. :lol: I hope Ronaldo leaves us to be honest. Doesn't deserve this shit. 

10 minutes ago, Froggy said:

So we've seen Modric, Rooney, Alonso, Scholes, Salah and even fucking Cristiano Ronaldo in this thread. :lol:

Holy smokes.

I'm waiting for someone to say Thierry Henry or Luis Suarez.

Andy Carroll has to be clear winner as most overrated NUFC player. That fee was about 100M in modern money.