Overrated players

Guest ManDoon

2 minutes ago, jack j said:

Paul Scholes

Older Scholes as a deep lying playmaker hitting pretty passes but liable to get booked every time he tackled someone - yes. Young Scholes as an AM or box to box, hell no.

I'm amazed Modric, Salah, Mane etc. being mentioned - these players have been the best in sides winning everything for years :lol:

I've always felt Ousmane Dembélé has never been worth the money paid for him. Every time I've seen he's looked quick and that's it.

Guest ManDoon
5 minutes ago, Kid Icarus said:

Not his fault either, he was really good, I really rated him and he probably would have worked in that system for England, but he's become the silver bullet that would have solved all of the problems with the Golden Generation, which is just daft. 

Yeah very good player but he became

This like mythical Iniesta/Busquets hybrid who was the greatest ever midfielder we’ve produced. Very odd

Guest ManDoon
1 minute ago, Optimistic Nut said:

Petr Cech. Helped by having a mean defence.

Agree 

Just now, wfmk2 said:

Jermaine Jenas. The player and the gobshite on the telly.

Grinds my gears having to hear him analyse players and go on about workrate, determination and taking responsibility when he so often had none of that here. 

12 minutes ago, Wullie said:

Little apart from the most assists in the PL over the last two seasons.

Definitely this - if anything Kane goes deep at times, in particular for England, and has shown some excellent vision and passing. The assists for Son etc. are huge.

Only thing I would say about Kane is he tends to score a lot of goals that aren't very dramatic. Shearer/Augero/Henry etc. would score lots of outrageous goals, where always feel Kane is king of "right place right time" tap/nod in goals than your memorable beast types.

Guest ManDoon
8 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

Oh. Modric's way better than Alonso (specifically) and Scholes.

I was literally just about to say Alonso was over-rated. Simply not in the class of Modric. Alonso was never an athletic player and he couldn't handle a stretched game. That's why he often played with hard-runners alongside him to compensate (Mascherano, Khedira, Modric). You could also press Alonso out of a game. He had slow feet. He wanted a little bit of time on the ball and couldn't jink his way out of a high press. When he was swapped with Kroos I immediately saw the improvement in the teams fluidity. Kroos could play every pass Alonso could but he was more athletic (at the time) and could move around the pitch more and he was better when pressed. Having spent some time at #10 his close control, agility, shift of balance was better. Modric has better mobility at 36 than Alonso had at 25. Obviously way better feet.

I say this as someone that has followed Real Madrid semi-closely for 15-years.

The Scholes thing is not an argument either. Scholes never turned up for England. Put any Scholes in Croatia 2018 and they don't get out the group.

I can’t agree he’s better than Alonso. Alonso had every attribute you could want from a midfielder.

22 minutes ago, ManDoon said:

Fair enough, I think I can apply that to Mane, but I think Salah is able to do it any set up. Mane is a very Liverpool system player I’d say 

Agree completely about Sarah he seems to have a lot of attributes. He has the discipline and work rate to play in Klopp’s system, but has the touch, dribbling, movement, to play for any coach. He’s great at crossing when he gets the chance can go inside or outside too.

3 minutes ago, Kid Icarus said:

Ah yeah, the famous 'uncharacteristic mistake from Petr Cech'

From memory there was a pretty big difference pre and post head injury?

Guest ManDoon
1 minute ago, Kid Icarus said:

Think I'll just drop this then log off. 

Cristiano Ronaldo

I’m with you. One of the best Goalscorers ever, no doubt. Best players? Not for me. 

Balotelli, Owen, Pogba - was proven right on all three predictions, all sizzle and no steak

also Beckham, great at a right-footed free-kick/cross (same skill) and diving and scamming instead of having to beat somebody (which he couldn't)

Edited by Wolfcastle

DeBruyne He’s world class but I’ve seen people talking about him being better than the likes of Gerrard, Scholes, Lampard etc which I don’t think he is. Thiago is better aswell imo.