General NUFC stuff

LoveItIfWeBeatU

Guest HTT II

It’s the anniversary of the death of the great man in my avatar today, Wor or Wee Hughie Gallagher :smitten:

Guest HTT II
Just now, Optimistic Nut said:

Joe Harvey’s birthday and anniversary of the Fairs Cup win too.

How typically NUFC, success with tragedy!

5 minutes ago, HTT II said:

It’s the anniversary of the death of the great man in my avatar today, Wor or Wee Hughie Gallagher :smitten:

Might have asked this before but did you ever see the play about his life that was on at the Theatre Royal, in about 97. I think it was called 'Shooting the Legend' but it doesn't make much sense and I can't find any reference to it online.

Guest HTT II
16 minutes ago, Happinesstan said:

Might have asked this before but did you ever see the play about his life that was on at the Theatre Royal, in about 97. I think it was called 'Shooting the Legend' but it doesn't make much sense and I can't find any reference to it online.

I didn’t know, I’m sure someone a few years back wanted to make a p’ay about his ire and times though.

3 minutes ago, HTT II said:

I didn’t know, I’m sure someone a few years back wanted to make a p’ay about his ire and times though.

It was Robson Green, Tim Healy and Denise Welsh's lot that produced it. 

Edited by Happinesstan

26 minutes ago, Happinesstan said:

I remember seeing some play about NUFC with Denise Welch in it

Just now, madras said:

I remember seeing some play about NUFC with Denise Welch in it

They did a few shows in that time, and it's hard to separate them. I think they might have done one specifically about NUFC as well, but not certain.

Just now, Happinesstan said:

They did a few shows in that time, and it's hard to separate them. I think they might have done one specifically about NUFC as well, but not certain.

I'm sure it was based round getting promotion  with flashbacks to our glory days.

4 minutes ago, madras said:

I'm sure it was based round getting promotion  with flashbacks to our glory days.

I think that one might be "the Beautiful game".

found this on Greens website:

The Beautiful Game (17 July-3 August, 1996)- The idea for Beautiful Game came about in the Baltic, a pub on the banks of the river Tyne in Newcastle upon Tyne, between Robson and Max Roberts. As Robson explains-
"Max and I sat and talked about our mutual love of football and we reached the same conclusion: it would make a great play. At that time Newcastle were winning the Premier League, with Kevin Keegan at the helm, and a family based drama about the club's history seemed timely. Within an hour we had the outline and rang Michael Chaplin the same night to see if he'd write it. The idea was simply to celebrate football, in particular the relationship between fans and the club. It was also an attempt to explain to non-fans what the game means, why it inspires such loyalty and devotion."
The play opened on 17 July 1996. The first night was a sell-out and even the whole Newcastle United team attended.

Edited by Happinesstan

11 minutes ago, Happinesstan said:

I think that one might be "the Beautiful game".

found this on Greens website:

The Beautiful Game (17 July-3 August, 1996)- The idea for Beautiful Game came about in the Baltic, a pub on the banks of the river Tyne in Newcastle upon Tyne, between Robson and Max Roberts. As Robson explains-
"Max and I sat and talked about our mutual love of football and we reached the same conclusion: it would make a great play. At that time Newcastle were winning the Premier League, with Kevin Keegan at the helm, and a family based drama about the club's history seemed timely. Within an hour we had the outline and rang Michael Chaplin the same night to see if he'd write it. The idea was simply to celebrate football, in particular the relationship between fans and the club. It was also an attempt to explain to non-fans what the game means, why it inspires such loyalty and devotion."
The play opened on 17 July 1996. The first night was a sell-out and even the whole Newcastle United team attended.

That's the one.

1 hour ago, Coffee_Johnny said:

“Va-radi!” Always sounded like Ferrari to my young ears. Perhaps was at times. 

I heard he was the origin of the inflatable craze in the late 80s for similar reasons. Sounded something similar to 'banana' the way some Man City fans said it, hence the banana inflatables there first, followed by fish, canaries and sex dolls and the like

Edited by Wolfcastle

Newcastle predicted to finish 7th next season:

7. Newcastle United (66/1 to win, 15/2 top-four)

The biggest jumpers of the lot for obvious reasons. Picked up the fourth most points in the league between February 1 and the final day and improved exponentially under Eddie Howe.

Backed to spend big in the summer window as the club look to bring in Champions League-level talent such as Sven Botman and Victor Osimhen.”

https://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/premier-league-20222023-predicted-table-24203283

I would be delighted with that. What do you reckon? 

On 11/06/2022 at 12:08, HTT II said:

Played for my home town club Airdrie as well as Newcastle. Always great to have a link between the two clubs. As I’ve said before he’s got a street named after him here in Airdrie 81DB437B-CF35-43B0-9398-92E533CFD0F9.thumb.jpeg.f8121ad94d86f4815b7bd3ac24134082.jpeg

Guest HTT II
1 hour ago, gdm said:

Played for my home town club Airdrie as well as Newcastle. Always great to have a link between the two clubs. As I’ve said before he’s got a street named after him here in Airdrie 81DB437B-CF35-43B0-9398-92E533CFD0F9.thumb.jpeg.f8121ad94d86f4815b7bd3ac24134082.jpeg

Should have a statue outside or SJP!

25 minutes ago, HTT II said:

Should have a statue outside or SJP!

As much as I agree with this, where would it go? Something for the club to think about given the players that will be playing at the club soon

Guest HTT II
3 minutes ago, Rafalove said:

As much as I agree with this, where would it go? Something for the club to think about given the players that will be playing at the club soon

Anywhere prominent. He captained us to our last League title and was our all-time top goalscorer before Wor Jackie and scored the most in one season before Cole. I’d love to see a hall of fame of our most prominent players, even if it’s just a bust of their heads lined up against the Gallowgate for example. 

Edited by HTT II