General NUFC stuff

LoveItIfWeBeatU

5 minutes ago, nbthree3 said:

Likewise Yedlin. Despite the date saying 4th June 2021 I'm fairly sure that's last years for us

Yeah got to be. Other clubs look accurate - good assessment of our competence...

5 minutes ago, et tu brute said:

Aye the good old Westler Hamburgers, definitely the 'marmite' of burgers (I loved them by the way)

Yeah,  not sure I've had the same "HOTdogs! HAMburgers!" anywhere else. The smell of those mixed with the hops from the brewery isn't going to be bottled by Paco Rabanne any time soon but it was certainly unique. 

Was bored so watched Supermac on Wraith’s podcast (I know), but got me wondering how much he would be worth in today’s game. I was lucky enough to see him play when I first started watching NUFC and he was a great striker. Fast, great shot and good in the air. Very arrogant though has to be said during his playing days. Had horrendous knee problems, which caused his eerily retirement and the players union paid for his surgery as he didn’t have the money to pay. He is without doubt one of the old legends for this club. He was asked about if he would ever say yes if he was offered a job at the club and he said he thought he would be too old to be considered. He’s had a very up and down life (a lot self inflicted), but seems to be doing ok now. Got me thinking the wages even average players get are crazy nowadays, especially when you see older players from past generations who were paid peanuts and living basic lifestyles.

Never seen him, my dad says good player but his general play let him down.

That's why Shearer was so good imo, great goalscorer but also really good in general play, first touch, passing, crossing etc.

Not many goalscorers are also good in general play, apart from Messi and them.

Edited by ToonArmy1892

4 minutes ago, ToonArmy1892 said:

Never seen him, my dad says good player but his general play let him down.

That's why Shearer was so good imo, great goalscorer but also really good in general play, first touch, passing, crossing etc.

Not many goalscorers are also good in general play, apart from Messi and them.

He was an out and out goal scorer no doubt. Probably closest style of player to him currently is Vardy. Shearer was a one off and was able to adapt his game after two horrendous injuries. Think the one against Chelsea was the big one as he did lose a couple of yards of pace. However, he was still a top class player after that. 

Just now, Doctor Zaius said:

I used to like Supermac when he did the three legends 15-20 years ago or so. Never seen him play but always comes across well and clearly loves the club. 

Yeah if you listen he has some great stories and some decent points of view. He does sometimes gets mixed up with things and that may be due to the few years of personal problems he had. Three legends were good. as they bounced off each other really well especially for the first couple of years. Seemingly a massive fall out with Eric Gates and Supermac/Slaven, which has never been resolved, put an end to it with Gates being sacked (If I remember correctly).

21 minutes ago, et tu brute said:

He was an out and out goal scorer no doubt. Probably closest style of player to him currently is Vardy. Shearer was a one off and was able to adapt his game after two horrendous injuries. Think the one against Chelsea was the big one as he did lose a couple of yards of pace. However, he was still a top class player after that. 

Yes, apparently Milburn was the same, fast as fuck and could finish, not that good in general play but as striker, you don't always need to be.

Michael Owen was the same.

Shearer was the total striker though.

Apparently Hughie Gallacher was an unreal player, and his goalscoring record blows Shearer out of the water.

He must have been, 5 foot 5 in them days, getting kicked to fuck, he was clearly a tough bloke.

Edited by ToonArmy1892

1 minute ago, ToonArmy1892 said:

Also, when they did that greatest NUFC team ever, it was Shearer and Milburn upfront.

Gallacher scored 143 goals in 174 games for us, winning titles, for fucks sake :lol:

It’s so hard to really compare different generations as the game has changed so much. 

16 minutes ago, et tu brute said:

It’s so hard to really compare different generations as the game has changed so much. 

Fair point, but good players will be good players in any era.

If we are looking at pure goalscoring records, Gallacher has to be in the team.

He is clearly our best ever goalscorer.

Edited by ToonArmy1892

Just now, ToonArmy1892 said:

Fair point, but good players will be good players in any era.

Got to remember though, that in the Gallagher days, probably at least half the team would be lighting up at half time. I hear what you’re saying and we will never know anyway unless a time machine is invented.

7 minutes ago, et tu brute said:

Got to remember though, that in the Gallagher days, probably at least half the team would be lighting up at half time. I hear what you’re saying and we will never know anyway unless a time machine is invented.

I don't think the fact they weren't "athletes" in those days takes anything away from his record like.

You've still got to be an increcible player to have a record like Gallacher's.

Gallacher also got 30th or something in The Times 100 greatest footballers of all time in about 1998, i had it on my wall.

For context, Brazil Ronaldo was 96th.

That's only someones opinion, granted.

Edited by ToonArmy1892

4 minutes ago, ToonArmy1892 said:

I don't think the fact they weren't "athletes" in those days takes anything away from his record like.

You've still got to be an increcible player to have a record like Gallacher's.

For that period I agree. 

Little anecdote about Supermac.

I was working in a bar in town and one night I was counting out a bag of 5ps when I heard a customer behind, I turned and said I wouldn't be a moment, noticing it was the man himself. He looked a little bit drunk stressed but I carried on. Two seconds later he mumbled something that I can't remember and stormed out. I wasn't impressed. I got Stuart Barracluogh's autograph in '77 and he was great.