General NUFC stuff

LoveItIfWeBeatU

Just now, MrRaspberryJam said:

Was he? Didn't Robson & Carver go and scout him and agreed he wasn't good enough? 8 months or so later we stumped up 8m for him. 

That may be correct, I’m sure Rangers offered him a bigger signing on fee and his agent had strong ties with Rangers, he was always going to be just parked there for a while so to speak, however. He was highly rated within the game at the time, definitely. A player we could have had on a free we ended up paying nearly 9m for a few months later, again a very dodgy deal under FS.

31 minutes ago, HTT II said:

That may be correct, I’m sure Rangers offered him a bigger signing on fee and his agent had strong ties with Rangers, he was always going to be just parked there for a while so to speak, however. He was highly rated within the game at the time, definitely. A player we could have had on a free we ended up paying nearly 9m for a few months later, again a very dodgy deal under FS.

I can't remember Boumsong being that bad to be honest up until Man Utd at home when he dropped clangers for both their goals. Was downhill after that. 

Bit like Cacapa, although I reckon he started off pretty well at us until THAT Pompey game. 

29 minutes ago, MrRaspberryJam said:

I can't remember Boumsong being that bad to be honest up until Man Utd at home when he dropped clangers for both their goals. Was downhill after that. 

Bit like Cacapa, although I reckon he started off pretty well at us until THAT Pompey game. 

He got run ragged against a non league team, Yeading I think in a Cup game, he had the attributes and seemed a good character, but was weak as piss and didn’t seem up to the challenge. We were so poor under Souness though, no-one really stood a chance under him to improve or make a mark.

31 minutes ago, MrRaspberryJam said:

You’ve a remarkable memory for players’ gaffs 👍(or the feckers have caused you deep emotional scarring! 😂)

58 minutes ago, MrRaspberryJam said:

Boumsong against Liverpool is the one. He completely fluffed a fairly simple interception, lost the ball to Peter Crouch, who then turned him, Boumsong brought him down, gave away a penalty and was sent off. It capped off an already abysmal performance.

Whatever stick Cacapa gets, his legs had just gone but by all accounts before that he was a very classy defender and a Lyon legend IIRC. 

Edited by Kid Icarus

14 minutes ago, MrRaspberryJam said:

Some things just cut deep. Like Gary Speeds glaring miss at home to Marseille in the semi final. 

Loved Speedo, but similarly never forgiven him for missing a header in the Chelsea FA Cup semi. We’d primed the crowd on the way up Wembley Way with a new Gary Speed song. We weren’t winning that game (Zola was immense) but convinced the song would have taken off if he scored 😂 

43 minutes ago, Kid Icarus said:

Boumsong against Liverpool is the one. He completely fluffed a fairly simple interception, lost the ball to Peter Crouch, who then turned him, Boumsong brought him down, gave away a penalty and was sent off. It capped off an already abysmal performance.

Whatever stick Cacapa gets, his legs had just gone but by all accounts before that he was a very classy defender and a Lyon legend IIRC. 

Can't really remember that. I was going off memory and memory alone. In my defence I didn't say he wasn't bad when he first signed, just not THAT bad up until the Man Utd game. 

Mad Juventus took him off us. Even if they were Serie B at the time. 

2 hours ago, Kid Icarus said:

Aside from Steve Bruce generally, I can't ever really recall seeing such a sorry figure inside a football stadium. It was painful watching him go off the pitch at the Gallowgate then have to trudge past the Milburn and down the tunnel.

43 minutes ago, WarrenBartonCentrePartin said:

Aside from Steve Bruce generally, I can't ever really recall seeing such a sorry figure inside a football stadium. It was painful watching him go off the pitch at the Gallowgate then have to trudge past the Milburn and down the tunnel.

:lol: yes he looked very alone. 

Didn't he look alrightish in his first few months? Other than the Yeading game obvs.

Given 

Tripper   Albert  Woodgate 
            Lee  Guimarães Speed  

Beardsley Gallagher (H) 

Shearer                Cole 

Manager: Robson 

NUFC: The we’ll score one more than you 11!

10 minutes ago, Coffee_Johnny said:

Above have me an idea (apols if it has been done before, but it is a quiet footy weekend…). Best (or your preferred) Newcastle 11 of all time. Formation up to you! 

(I started following in 2002 and will only do people I’ve seen just to preface) And also no formation just four defenders, four midfield, two strikers. 

Given; Trippier, Schar, Colo, Enrique; Nobby, Speed, Bruno, Robert; Shearer, Martins (/Bellamy). 

Edited by cubaricho

22 hours ago, Coffee_Johnny said:

Given 

Tripper   Albert  Woodgate 
            Lee  Guimarães Speed  

Beardsley Gallagher (H) 

Shearer                Cole 

Manager: Robson 

NUFC: The we’ll score one more than you 11!

:smitten:My two NUFC heroes!

Edited by HTT II

22 hours ago, cubaricho said:

(I started following in 2002 and will only do people I’ve seen just to preface) And also no formation just four defenders, four midfield, two strikers. 

Given; Trippier, Schar, Colo, Enrique; Nobby, Speed, Bruno, Robert; Shearer, Martins (/Bellamy). 

Martins over Bellamy?!