General NUFC stuff

LoveItIfWeBeatU

Guest HTT II

Nah not for me Clive, we are past being a circus club now. What next people taking videos at the match instead of just enjoying the game?

Any sign of cameras seems to be a magnet for the self promoting and window licking segments of our support. Wraith, Hastie and Keith the Teeth would be all over it, along with Benwell’s answer to the 40 Year Old Virgin. Thanks but no thanks.

The only way I could officially condone this would be if there was an option where you could press the red button (or Prime's equivalent) for a dedicated Bruno and/or Matt Targett channel. 

I assume that's what the sticking point in any negotiations would be, making sure Matt is fully on board and comfortable with everything. A ten minute NUFCTV interview is already borderline for him. Maybe Amazon can sweeten the deal by letting him have a gander through their accounts whilst they're here?

Definite no from me. Very possible detriment to the team which comes above all, but also very keen to keep away from the circus mentality that permeates the media and everything that comes with it. I can only imagine Howe would see things in a similar way. 

Probably in the minority here as well, but personally prefer the mystique of some degree of separation between the fans and the inner workings of the club i.e. not being able to look "behind the scenes" too much. 

Edited by Barnes23

I'd feel a bit anxious about it but turning it down feels a bit like wanting to have your cake and eat it. We criticised Ashley for not growing commercial opportunities and then we say no to literally one of the biggest you can possibly have? 

I've no interest at all in watching Eddie Howe becoming a meme but it would be one year and done, and we reap the rewards from it.

28 minutes ago, HaydnNUFC said:

Thanks for sharing this - I love this sort of thing. Always blows my mind how we can still watch a football game from that period that for them (those playing and spectating) would be like the equivalent of looking back at footage from the American declaration of independence - roughly a similar time gap, give or take. 

What really grinds my gears is how the Premier League are falling over themselves to tell anyone who'll listen about how it's been 30 years since its formation, like it's a thing anyone cares about, when they should be throwing all the money and technology in the world (in my opinion) at preserving and publicising footage like this.

1901, man. It's not often glamorous to think Britain can be quite good at something but nowhere else had the best part of 40 years of top level organised football by that time. 

1 hour ago, Wolfcastle said:

They did well to get the Popular Side and East Stand built when you see Leazes terrace there

Town and Country Planning Act didn't come along until 47 years later. :pow:

On 19/08/2022 at 16:58, 54 said:

If you had to create a worst NUFC 11 of the Premier League era, what would it be?

Only Premier League or can we add in players from our three seasons in Div1/Championship? PL only:

GK: Alnwick 

RB: Geremi

CB: Campbell 

CB: Cacapa

LB: Wayne Quinn

RM: Cabella

CM: Hamilton

CM: Georgiadis

LM: Brady

CF: De Jong

CF: Rivière 

Big mentions to JDT, Andreas Andersson, Facundo Ferreyra and Ian Rush up front. Squeezing so much shite into two slots is too hard.

On 19/08/2022 at 16:58, 54 said:

If you had to create a worst NUFC 11 of the Premier League era, what would it be?

Pre Ashley

Hooper / Marcelino, Boumsong, Bramble, Ramage (*harsh, but were much better times) / McClen, Hamilton, Faye, Crawford / Tomasson, Andersson

Edited by Wolfcastle

2 minutes ago, Nucasol said:

Only Premier League or can we add in players from our three seasons in Div1/Championship? PL only:

Big mentions to JDT, Andreas Andersson, Facundo Ferreyra and Ian Rush up front. Squeezing so much shite into two slots is too hard.

Harsh on JDT. He did some good things in a Newcastle shirt and was really unlucky Shearer got injured. Surely xisco and luque deserve a mention ahead of JDT although I did feel Luque was unlucky at times too 

1 hour ago, Nucasol said:

Beharall (sp?) in for Cacapa I think. He had that shocker v Portsmouth but wasn't *that* bad otherwise, at least from what I remember... There must be someone worse to fill in for Cabella too.

Nah, not having that at all. Obertan had pace that he couldn't utilise effectively and nothing else whatsoever. 

Cabella showed moments of quality in a setup he was completed unsuited for (the kick and rush of tactical geniuses Pardew and Carver).