Dan Ashworth (on gardening leave)

Rich

Just now, The Prophet said:

He's Sporting Director, not MI5.

? You don’t think when we’re making a £50m investment, we dig as deep as possible?! I don’t know to what extent, but I’m sure it’s more than just asking folk if he’s a nice lad.

15 minutes ago, Holmesy said:

? You don’t think when we’re making a £50m investment, we dig as deep as possible?! I don’t know to what extent, but I’m sure it’s more than just asking folk if he’s a nice lad.

What checks did they do like?

Short of requesting his bank statements, I'm not sure what he's supposed to do.

Edited by The Prophet

^ whether you want to hold it against him or forgive him for the various reasons — addiction, lack of education, youth, or NOT and say he’s really fucked many many people over and hold it against him is really up to you. 

1 minute ago, The Prophet said:

What checks did they do lik

Short of requesting his bank statements, I'm not sure what he's supposed to do.

Fuck knows! No one does. But if someone buys a business for £50m, they employ teams of auditors to go through every fine detail. If you buy a property for even £1m your solicitor is going thorough everything with a fine tooth comb. 
I’ve no idea what the scouting and vetting process is, but if it was anyone’s job to uncover shit like this it would be DA’s wouldn’t it? ??‍♂️

As I said before, I was merely speculating, but I can’t imagine the board are happy at spending £50m and watching their asset sit around while we’re dropping down the league 

3 hours ago, Holmesy said:

Fuck knows! No one does. But if someone buys a business for £50m, they employ teams of auditors to go through every fine detail. If you buy a property for even £1m your solicitor is going thorough everything with a fine tooth comb. 
I’ve no idea what the scouting and vetting process is, but if it was anyone’s job to uncover shit like this it would be DA’s wouldn’t it? ??‍♂️

As I said before, I was merely speculating, but I can’t imagine the board are happy at spending £50m and watching their asset sit around while we’re dropping down the league 

Can you recommend your solicitor? Every time I buy a house they seem to do fuck all and take weeks doing stuff I know I could find from land registry/planning portal in under 5 mins. 

I think it’s fair enough to include that question for disclosure when signing a contract, if they lie about it, contract cancelled and insurance can pay out on the value of the transfer fee (if any insurer would do so, presumably they would)

On 26/12/2023 at 17:56, Holmesy said:

You know that GDPR malarkey, that’s made loads of extra faff for everyone at work? It would also make us delving too deeply into someone’s personal life, seriously fucking illegal. I really don’t get what else our club could have done tbh. I am sure there will be extra questions around gambling etc, with relevant contract penalties inserted going forwards. 

7 minutes ago, Dr Jinx said:

I think it’s fair enough to include that question for disclosure when signing a contract, if they lie about it, contract cancelled and insurance can pay out on the value of the transfer fee (if any insurer would do so, presumably they would)

I'm sure we could try to cancel his contract now, the problem would be that we then just let a £55m player walk off into the sunset for nothing and AC Milan have all our money.

Getting the contract cancelled isn't massively problematic. Getting your money back from the other party is the tricky bit.

(Not that I'm suggesting we should, I stand by Tonali and hope he comes good, which I'm highly confident he will)

1 hour ago, Chris_R said:

I'm sure we could try to cancel his contract now, the problem would be that we then just let a £55m player walk off into the sunset for nothing and AC Milan have all our money.

Getting the contract cancelled isn't massively problematic. Getting your money back from the other party is the tricky bit.

(Not that I'm suggesting we should, I stand by Tonali and hope he comes good, which I'm highly confident he will)

Same, as someone who almost got into a bad gambling spot in my younger days I have a lot of sympathy, he needs a chance to put things right.

Money and lots of time to kill can make terrible bedfellows.. let’s hope the club/teammates can keep him involved in things away from training.

I’m hoping this was more stupidity as opposed to a massive addiction problem like they claimed it was. It might just be a case of something blowing up in his face and he just won’t ever go back to doing that.

I really am trying to hold back resentment for him right now. His ban and our massive spend on him has left us so short; magnified with the injury crisis and fixture pileup. Man, the kid was outstanding v Villa and Paris. He was supposed to have grown into his role and partnership with Bruno and be the big stage experienced player for us. 

I totally support him fixing his personal issues of course and I’m hoping we get the player we signed and hoped he’d be when he’s ready to go next season. 

Edited by Kanji

19 minutes ago, Kanji said:

I really am trying to hold back resentment for him right now. His ban and our massive spend on him has left us so short; magnified with the injury crisis and fixture pileup. Man, the kid was outstanding v Villa and Paris. He was supposed to have grown into his role and partnership with Bruno and be the big stage experienced player for us. 

I totally support him fixing his personal issues of course and I’m hoping we get the player we signed and hoped he’d be when he’s ready to go next season. 

As long as he settles, trains, remains fit and learns the language I think he won’t disappoint. Not have that shite hanging over him will help hugely too. Oh and stays of the bets of course  [emoji38]

9 hours ago, Ghandis Flip-Flop said:

You know that GDPR malarkey, that’s made loads of extra faff for everyone at work? It would also make us delving too deeply into someone’s personal life, seriously fucking illegal. I really don’t get what else our club could have done tbh. I am sure there will be extra questions around gambling etc, with relevant contract penalties inserted going forwards. 

Only if we're not given permission to do it. You'd think a player would be willing to give consent for personal information to be used if he wants a transfer to go through. If he doesn't consent, alarms bells should ring.

2 minutes ago, Holmesy said:

Only if we're not given permission to do it. You'd think a player would be willing to give consent for personal information to be used if he wants a transfer to go through. If he doesn't consent, alarms bells should ring.

So easy to get round I'd expect. Hand over one phones data while hoarding another, even as far as getting a mate to place bets etc to get round financial data.

5 hours ago, PauloGeordio said:

As long as he settles, trains, remains fit and learns the language I think he won’t disappoint. Not have that shite hanging over him will help hugely too. Oh and stays of the bets of course  [emoji38]

Burn said recently that his English is now pretty good.

The Tonali signing - if we had better intelligence, we would've heard whispers I'm sure.

If an England international was involved in betting and talking to teammates about it. I would expect one of Trippier, Pope & Wilson and their camps to at least heard rumours and possibly alert the club to the smoke.

He was the alleged "ringleader" - multiple people did know for a fact. The club should question itself about how good our due diligence is.

Edited by The College Dropout

8 minutes ago, madras said:

Aye Burns English is getting better going by that quiz they had.

Burn did actually also say that living away from the area has taught him to slow his accent down a bit, especially when talking to foreign lads. However, when Dummett is speaking to Tonali or Bruno they clearly don’t get a word of it.

3 minutes ago, SteV said:

Burn did actually also say that living away from the area has taught him to slow his accent down a bit, especially when talking to foreign lads. However, when Dummett is speaking to Tonali or Bruno they clearly don’t get a word of it.

I had to do that for work. However when the lads are together it's different. We were asked by some young Americans when in the Lakes last summer what language we were speaking.