Dan Ashworth (on gardening leave)

Rich

Off the field, too, the club are braced for an approach for director of football Dan Ashworth when Sir Jim Ratcliffe’s 25 per cent investment in Manchester United is finally confirmed.

Although Ineos sources insist no major strategic decisions have been taken, there are those close to the situation at Newcastle who fear Ashworth will depart, which would be a sizeable blow to the development at the club. 

I wonder if Ashworth has said something along the lines of "I want to talk to Man Utd if they make an approach"

Ashworth is a cut throat operator and he'll apply this to his own career as much as anything. The fact Man U are targeting him at all could be a sign that they're trying to get their act together.

He's not actually very well liked on the playing side from previous roles. Meant to be arrogant and canny snakey but everyone knows he's good at his job.

4 minutes ago, SUPERTOON said:

Seems to be getting a bit of traction, article lost someone from Bournemouth as a possible replacement. 

If we lose Ashworth and replace him with Richard Hughes it would be such a colossally bad decision. 

3 minutes ago, SUPERTOON said:

If he was to leave, and obviously it’s a big if, I’d love us to go down the foreign route with our next appointment. Think that’s the best market to shop in.

If the role is all encompassing as Ashworth is we need a genius basically. 

we need a guy who can work closely with Eddie but also protect our interests in the long term, we are committed to this style of play now and everyone needs to be on the same page. 

One thing which is very gratifying is the knowledge that under this regime we will be targeting the very best coaches, administrators and directors in every field. Compare that to when we had Ashley and Charnley directing things, and even Shepherd before that, even he was more interested in handing out jobs for the boys.

Ashworth would be a loss, and a surprising one tbh, but we'll get the next Ashworth I'm sure - assuming he does decide to leave.

Ashworth leaving this soon would be pretty shitty but it's a tough business, definitely not beyond the realms of possibility.

If he does go I'd be very surprised if giving his role to Eddie Howe's friend is an option that is entertained even slightly by the people running the club, though.

If true then Man Utd are throwing silly money after him, with the promise of much more investment in players than he has here. 

We aren't at their level yet as a club except on the field with our first team (mostly thanks to Howe).

Heart says he should stay here and create something from scratch, but objectively looking at it, if he has the chance to get the most (or second most after Real Madrid) sought after opportunity in world football for his type of position with a significant salary increase, I can understand why he would want to leave. 

Edited by Conjo

Ended up scrolling down a few @Paully tweets after seeing his pre match pic in the Chelsea thread. They weren't showing in date order but noticed this one from September 2020:

If Ashworth does go I know who I think should replace him. Seems to have plenty of contacts in the game as well from his photos.

4 minutes ago, Checko said:

Ended up scrolling down a few @Paully tweets after seeing his pre match pic in the Chelsea thread. They weren't showing in date order but noticed this one from September 2020:

If Ashworth does go I know who I think should replace him. Seems to have plenty of contacts in the game as well from his photos.

Would he be happy to do that role though and not be involved in the team side of things? 

5 minutes ago, Checko said:

Imagine how many more injuries we could have from headlocks to players

5 minutes ago, Mikky said:

I can’t see Ashworth leaving for Man U - No way our owners let it happen - They moved heavan on earth for him - he stays 

They don’t get a choice once the compensation has been agreed. If he wants to go and they are willing to pay up it’s done.