Dan Ashworth (on gardening leave)

Rich

9 hours ago, Menace said:

Our fans are funny man. 6 months ago it was "Ashworth masterclass" now a few dodgy rumours and a few shit injuries and the Tonali thing and he's a 2 faced rat and can be replaced no bother. He would be a massive blow if he went. It would also put a spanner in the works considering what they have probably planned for January/summer. 

We're individuals with our own opinions. Just because someone was singing his praises 6 months ago doesn't mean right now I can't feel apathetic towards his potential departure in the near future.

Edited by Dr.Spaceman

19 minutes ago, Ghandis Flip-Flop said:

Aye I still find the idea that the Glazers despite being laisse faire owners are suddenly just going to hand over all control of football operations to Radcliffe with his 25%. The whole thing has a whiff of fantasist bullshit surrounding it

This situation suits the Glazers down to the ground. 

4 minutes ago, Froggy said:

This situation suits the Glazers down to the ground. 

Yep, that’s my thoughts though you’d know better.  I think they’d be perfectly to watch Radcliffe make Man Utd successful and passively count the money coming in.  They’ve never struck me as having Champ Man fantasies. 

Ashworth clearly is a smart operator which is why Man Utd are meant to want him, and the lure of a bigger club makes sense to me - that’s why he’s here and not at Brighton.

I don’t get the ‘we’re more attractive than Man Utd’ crack.  Just sounds delusional to me, ‘project’ or not.

I don’t think it’s the end of the world if he leaves, and I think questions over the summer signings are perfectly valid. 

Just now, TheBrownBottle said:

Yep, that’s my thoughts though you’d know better.  I think they’d be perfectly to watch Radcliffe make Man Utd successful and passively count the money coming in.  They’ve never struck me as having Champ Man fantasies. 

It's win/win for them. If Ratcliffe turns it around, they profit. If Ratcliffe fucks it up they still profit and can absolve themselves of any blame for what happened on the pitch.

This situation is exactly what they wanted and it's why they turned down the Qatar offer.

Ratcliffe's ownership of Team Sky / Ineos has seen them go through a dramatic decline

Biggest / most successful team in the world when he bought them but they're in the doldrums now

Only read a few bits about Nice and it seems mixed, chaotic start but doing better now

So be interesting to see what he can do with 25% of Man Utd, if it happens

Edited by bobbydazzla

Just now, prefabtoon said:

There is no denial by Newcastle, Staveley, or the man himself for this not to be true.

This will Really screw our plans up for the foreseeable future.

Another reason to hate Manure.

Relax, it’s all speculation for now. 

clubs don’t usually issue statement on the back of reports from the sun. I’m not saying it won’t happen but the lack of statement doesn’t indicate anything. 

I can't say I care either way tbh. We'll just go and get someone else if he does leave.

Man Utd are a bigger club than us, and if he goes, he clearly feels he can help return them to the top.

It's all just speculation at present though.

We'll be fine either way imo.

Edited by lovejoy

1 hour ago, bobbydazzla said:

Ratcliffe's ownership of Team Sky / Ineos has seen them go through a dramatic decline

Biggest / most successful team in the world when he bought them but they're in the doldrums now

Only read a few bits about Nice and it seems mixed, chaotic start but doing better now

So be interesting to see what he can do with 25% of Man Utd, if it happens

Mercedes F1 team also won 7 consecutive driver & constructor world championships before Ineos/Ratcliffe took a 33% stake in the team.  Haven't won the drivers title since.

More down to rules changes than anything else I think but I'm not going to let the facts get in the way of the story here.

53 minutes ago, OverThere said:

I'm sure there are others up there with Ashworth in terms of talent. Our summer recruiting of Barnes and Tonali has hardly been a resounding  success either.

I think Barnes is a bit unfair - a freak injury has stopped us seeing what he's all about. Tonali seemed a coup at the time.

Then selling Wood and Shelvey was as good for us as some of the incoming players - and Tino looks a genuine star.

That said, I'm not really sure if just transfers is what his role is mainly about - surely it's forward planning, infrastructure etc? Which all take a while to see the benefits from.

Anyway, it's all just speculation at the moment so I'm not going to fret about it. Could well just be mischievous speculation to unsettle us, wouldn't be the first time just like re Howe recently.

I suppose it comes with the territory when you start to threaten at the top.

From Daily Mail:

Manchester United will have to bide their time or pay big compensation if they are determined to appoint Dan Ashworth as sporting director, because he has a 12-month notice period in his contract at Newcastle.

The 52-year-old is happy at St James’ Park and Newcastle are confident of retaining him, but a formal offer from United would test the resolve of both parties. 

Ashworth spent four months on gardening leave after leaving Brighton last year before joining Newcastle, as it took the clubs some time to agree a £5million compensation package.

Ashworth does not have a set release clause in his contract at Newcastle and the club would demand far more than his £1.5m salary to release him early

14 hours ago, WideopenMag said:

Don't want him to go but it's a pretty pointless position to have someone in if they're not committed and are going to go elsewhere.

As a few other have said, I'd have Dan improving on the greatest garden in England already if he says he wants to leave.

He didn't bring in Bruno, got completely used by Milan and Tonali's agent, then sold ASM for nothing. The success stories should be credited as much, if not more, to Eddie Howe. Ashworth is very replaceable and the trajectory of the club has much more to do with the manager and his players than Ashworth. This moment is an opportunity to upgrade the position.

Just now, rebelrouser said:

He didn't bring in Bruno, got completely used by Milan and Tonali's agent, then sold ASM for nothing. The success stories should be credited as much, if not more, to Eddie Howe. Ashworth is very replaceable and the trajectory of the club has much more to do with the manager and his players than Ashworth. This moment is an opportunity to upgrade the position.

Another absolute mentalist post. 

15 minutes ago, rebelrouser said:

For the Tonali thing, it is fair comment to ask the questions but neither you nor me know who in that process was to blame. I'd also agree Eddie is the main driver here but saying Ashworth is easily replaceable, we can all have an opinion and mine is that's bull shit.

1 hour ago, rebelrouser said:

You do know his role isn't limited to just transfers?

Man Utd are a shitshow, 48 scouts with nobody in charge of them, players all over the place, totally inconsistent team with average players and a bloke with 25% that will have to make any changes with his own cash.

Unless Man Utd are under a single ownership with focus and a single direction nothing will change, Ashworth would be daft to jump ship, but TBF I can understand if he does 

7 hours ago, MrRaspberryJam said:

From Daily Mail:

Manchester United will have to bide their time or pay big compensation if they are determined to appoint Dan Ashworth as sporting director, because he has a 12-month notice period in his contract at Newcastle.

The 52-year-old is happy at St James’ Park and Newcastle are confident of retaining him, but a formal offer from United would test the resolve of both parties. 

Ashworth spent four months on gardening leave after leaving Brighton last year before joining Newcastle, as it took the clubs some time to agree a £5million compensation package.

Ashworth does not have a set release clause in his contract at Newcastle and the club would demand far more than his £1.5m salary to release him early

I could only imagine our resolve being tested if the daft fuckers offered us way north of 5 million compensation.

Edited by Whitley mag