Dan Ashworth (on gardening leave)

Rich

Just now, madras said:

Did they not pay you (grant) ?

Would have but parents earned too much so didn't qualify.

Although TBF compare to current students and where they tend to live (if they go away from home), they don't live in condemned shit holes like we used to. I bet there aren't many students living in Bensham, terrorised by feral children like we were back in the day, for example. It was like living in a sort of dystopian, violent East Germany.

1 hour ago, The Prophet said:

So do we dislike him because he could potentially move to Man United or because we can't handle being on s bad run of form?

because when we’re on a bad run of form, classic Newcastle support is everything is wrong and blame needs to be pointed. It’s fucking childish, it’s stupid and it’s insanity. 

16 minutes ago, Kanji said:

because when we’re on a bad run of form, classic Newcastle support is everything is wrong and blame needs to be pointed. It’s fucking childish, it’s stupid and it’s insanity. 

It’s also completely the norm on Tyneside.  Everything gets overanalysed.   I’m as guilty as anyone, happy to hold my hands up.  Everyone I know does this in the pub, at work, or when just sat about talking shite. 

It is results-driven though.   We have an injury crisis, with multiple repeat injuries and the recently appointed head physio is off.  Brian Clough once said that ‘when a manager is sacked, the man who appointed him should walk with him’.  Now, I don’t quite hold that viewpoint - but there is something seriously wrong at the club in terms of injuries.  The man who appointed the man who is there to ensure that the impact is minimal takes his share of the blame.  Unless we should only give credit and stay silent otherwise?  Praise but don’t criticise?  That’s not childish - that’s what a cult does. 

I’m well aware of where we were under Ashley - but you know what, I’m not going to use that as a benchmark.  I don’t see why different standards apply now - again, I saw this shite during the early Hall era, lots of ‘do you want McKeag back?’ type crack for any criticism of the sainted John Hall and his executive.  That thinking ended up with years of mismanagement and syphoning off of money.  The club has come a long way - through some inspired coaching, shrewd transfers and hard work and buy-in from the playing staff.  But the parameters change with transformation - and a lot of transformation has been driven also by HUGE sums of money being pushed into the club.

Following football - and getting worked up by it - is childish.  There are no ‘grown ups in the room’ when it comes down to it - you can’t rise above by wearing a cloak of ‘maturity’. It is trivial, ultimately.  

I mean, let's be honest. There aren't a whole lot of club employees (other than those who have ties with the area) who would not up and leave immediately if offered the same job at Man United. That's something we're trying to change but it remains the reality for now.

Be something if it happens on the anniversary of selling Cole to them and that feeling like a return to being a seller club in that initial hour of shock.

Edited by Jonas

7 minutes ago, Jonas said:

Be something if it happens on the anniversary of selling Cole to them and that feeling like a return to being a seller club in that initial hour of shock.

IMG_7471.jpeg.444e8dd17005e77386877ec6744b1228.jpeg

Edited by TheBrownBottle

Guest reefatoon
8 hours ago, The Prophet said:

Difficult to judge what we can't see. Howe has acknowledged errors have been made in the medical department, but didn't say what they were or who by. 

As for Ashworth, he's very highly thought of in the game, but it'll take a while to reap the benefits of his work. He's basically had to build every department from the ground up.

The creeping criticism of everyone at the club because we're in poor form feels a bit misplaced. 

Misplaced? It’s pathetic really.

9 hours ago, Dr Jinx said:

I know several people working for the club, never discussed Dan Ashworth in depth for what it’s worth.

He’s been the one making all the infrastructure hiring decisions, Derek Wright stepping away fully was his initiative (he wanted a clean slate to work with) and it’s not something that’s worked out too well so far.

He’s been the one hiring all the analysts too, didn’t one just leave a few days ago?

Hiring people isn't an exact science unless you're poaching people you've previously worked with from elsewhere. 

Moving people on isn't necessarily a concern. It could just be because they're not performing to the standard you expect. 

It could start to be an issue if it's happening regularly and calls your hiring processes into question but it's far too early to draw any conclusions like that. 

18 minutes ago, Cf said:

Hiring people isn't an exact science unless you're poaching people you've previously worked with from elsewhere. 

Moving people on isn't necessarily a concern. It could just be because they're not performing to the standard you expect. 

It could start to be an issue if it's happening regularly and calls your hiring processes into question but it's far too early to draw any conclusions like that. 

I don’t think it’s too early to make a conclusion about how the medical department has been run.

The fact that Botman played on for 2 additional games after doing his ACL is something you wouldn’t even expect in the Championship, let alone Champions League.

I get that players seem happy to run through brick walls for Eddie Howe but the management team, including Ashworth should know when to step off the gas with certain players.

The club have handled Isak, Willock, Wilson and Murphy particularly poorly. Anthony Gordon is a ticking time bomb.

Ashworth is there to take that responsibility off the manager, which he’s failed to do.

1 minute ago, Dr Jinx said:

I don’t think it’s too early to make a conclusion about how the medical department has been run.

The fact that Botman played on for 2 additional games after doing his ACL is something you wouldn’t even expect in the Championship, let alone Champions League.

I get that players seem happy to run through brick walls for Eddie Howe but the management team, including Ashworth should know when to step off the gas with certain players.

The club have handled Isak, Willock, Wilson and Murphy particularly poorly. Anthony Gordon is a ticking time bomb.

Ashworth is there to take that responsibility off the manager, which he’s failed to do.

It Eddie’s selecting players who aren’t fit or running them into the ground you can’t blame Ashworth for that. 

Unless you referring to our transfer which in that case it’s a fair question. First team selection is the responsibility of the manager not the sporting director.  

4 minutes ago, r0cafella said:

It Eddie’s selecting players who aren’t fit or running them into the ground you can’t blame Ashworth for that. 

Unless you referring to our transfer which in that case it’s a fair question. First team selection is the responsibility of the manager not the sporting director.  

Eddie Howe is on record as saying he’ll play someone if the medical team has cleared it. Now that falls right in the whole administration side of things, that Dan Ashworth set up.

I think they’re all culpable to be honest, a culture where players are risking serious long term injuries for fear of maybe losing their place or something similar isn’t a good look

1 minute ago, Dr Jinx said:

Eddie Howe is on record as saying he’ll play someone if the medical team has cleared it. Now that falls right in the whole administration side of things, that Dan Ashworth set up.

I think they’re all culpable to be honest, a culture where players are risking serious long term injuries for fear of maybe losing their place or something similar isn’t a good look

It's fairly obvious what's happened here. Danny Murphy (or someone he is responsible for) has fucked up. Ashworth appointed Danny Murphy so is naturally receiving some of the stick. How far do you go though, do you start pointing the finger at Staveley and Reuben for going after Ashworth?

18 minutes ago, Dr.Spaceman said:

It's fairly obvious what's happened here. Danny Murphy (or someone he is responsible for) has fucked up. Ashworth appointed Danny Murphy so is naturally receiving some of the stick. How far do you go though, do you start pointing the finger at Staveley and Reuben for going after Ashworth?

TBF to them - Ashworth has a great reputation in the game. If he interviewed well, you can't blame them too much.

Same is true of Ashworth and hiring Danny Murphy potentially. But if you start hiring the wrong people 2-3 times consecutively, there's a problem with your hiring process.

Danny Murphy is not an Ashworth appointment is he? He replaced Derek Wright which was before Ashworth arrived I think.

edit: just read previous posts, nevermind :lol:

Edited by junkhead

14 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

TBF to them - Ashworth has a great reputation in the game. If he interviewed well, you can't blame them too much.

Same is true of Ashworth and hiring Danny Murphy potentially. But if you start hiring the wrong people 2-3 times consecutively, there's a problem with your hiring process.

I wasn't being serious about dishing out any blame to Staveley or Reuben for appointing Ashworth [emoji38]

Guest reefatoon
1 minute ago, Dr.Spaceman said:

I wasn't being serious about dishing out any blame to Staveley or Reuben for appointing Ashworth [emoji38]

They will be next on the list with the founding fathers of the official NO whopper society

7 minutes ago, Dr.Spaceman said:

:laugh:

I don't think anyone is above critique though. So far everyone seems competent but competent people also make mistakes.

Spoiler

Tom R — Dan Ashworth to Manchester United — any legs or just an easy story with the Dave Brailsford friendship? If he does leave Newcastle, surely he will not be cheap?

Ornstein: INEOS really likes Ashworth (who doesn’t?!) and, as you say, Brailsford knows him well. But there has been no approach to Newcastle so far, to our knowledge.

There’s been enough of these stories “with legs” over the past 2 weeks that if it were bullshit or if he were to be staying, he’d have come out and said so by now. Otherwise it’s all just disruption.

He knows this better than anyone yet has kept his beak shut.

On 03/01/2024 at 21:08, Lush Vlad said:

If you’re on about cockney rhyming slang or people using local colloquialisms. Then fair enough. If not, then what on earth are you on about?! 

Despite being born down south. Hard A’s do make more sense to me than soft A’s, so I get that part. But I’m not having that only people from London understand each other :lol: 

Agreed, I lived down there 17 years and can count on one hand the amount of times I heard rhyming slang - and it’s where I met the old trouble and strife. To speak cockney you just replace every U with an A like “you’re having a facking larf (laugh is an exception to be fair, oh but babble is also acceptable for laugh).

16 minutes ago, The Prophet said:

Why does be need to publicly comment?

It’s what you do - every day I go to work I walk in and announce “can I just tell you - I’m not leaving any time soon”.