Dan Ashworth (on gardening leave)

Rich

6 hours ago, Numbers said:

Yet they're almost £1B in debt, make it make sense please.

What doesn't make sense? Since the Saudi's came in we've both spent around £400m have we not? That's despite us having 3x your revenue.

We desperately needed a striker and midfielder last January and couldn't afford it. Had to sign Weghorst and Sabitzer on loan.

We couldn't afford to buy Amrabat outright in the summer for 20 odd million and had to sign him on loan.

The notion that Newcastle are hamstrung by FFP and we aren't is nonsense. We can spend £150-200m each season, which is reasonable given our turnover.

34 minutes ago, Newcastle Fan said:

Fuck this guy honestly, did fuck all to prepare us for anything and now wants to leave, it seems that everyone from Brighton only flourishes at Brighton and once you take them out of there they are exposed.

I’m convinced brightons success (and Brentford to an extent) has to do with owners who are very well versed in sports data/analytics. I work in a similar industry. These people can be meticulous. Pretty sure the Brighton owner runs a “sports investing firm”. We watch the matches as regular supporters, they just look at the numbers. Crosses, dribbles completed, aerial duels won, tackles won etc etc.

it’s applying gambling theory to sports. Which is brilliant. Their owner is an expert gambler. Reminds me of Billy Walters. I doubt anyone would allow billy to buy a sports franchise. This is all about Bloom, these players and managers and scouts from Brighton are literally just all cogs in his genius system 

That’s how you find gems like Adingra or Maitoma playing for a random Belgian team but putting up impressive stats.

the Brighton staff are all frauds. They worked well in that system. They deserve no credit for the system put in place by the ownership 

Edited by Sufi

27 minutes ago, Newcastle Fan said:

Fuck this guy honestly, did fuck all to prepare us for anything and now wants to leave, it seems that everyone from Brighton only flourishes at Brighton and once you take them out of there they are exposed.

I highly doubt he’s done “fuck all” 😂 howay man, I’m sure he’s done plenty to help put a framework in for the academy grade and stuff like that. Is he replaceable, ofcourse he is, it’s just about finding the right person and getting the right compensation for him.

6 minutes ago, La Parka said:

Hope this cunt likes weeding

I’m sure he’ll manage given he’s on several hundreds thousand pounds a year and likely off for multiple holidays. 

Howe is right about one thing though, you need a sporting director in place longterm to really see the benefit.

6 minutes ago, Sufi said:

the Brighton staff are all frauds. They worked well in that system. They deserve no credit for the system put in place by the ownership 

Fraud is maybe a bit far but the engine behind it all is the data analysis tooling  and methodology that exists in the scouting department, the modern equivalent of the old fashioned gadgie in a tatty Umbro jacket smoking a Woodbine and unearthing the next talent out of Barnet or Macclesfield.

54 minutes ago, Ben said:

I'm not sure about that, we are all fishing in the same pond for players 

Was referring more to him downloading or copying files to a personal device.

That would be the first thing that would be picked up by any audit of his accounts and devices.  Nothing stopping him acting on what he committed to memory come next July or whenever he finally starts the job, but he won't have access to the supporting data and analytics.  

Edited by Pandamninator

1 hour ago, mouldy_uk said:

Confused by the laptop stuff. Surely all the info generated and captured on it is the property of NUFC, so it stays with us if he buggers off.  

Presumably he'll have copies of everything on a personal laptop anyway. Would be pretty thick if he didn't knowing he was going to leave

14 minutes ago, Pandamninator said:

Was referring more to him downloading or copying files to a personal device.

That would be the first thing that would be picked up by any audit of his accounts and devices.  Nothing stopping him acting on what he committed to memory come next July or whenever he finally starts the job, but he won't have access to the supporting data and analytics.  

Any company worth its salt has monitoring software and has probably blocked personal email and cloud accounts. Hopefully one of things that wasn’t overlooked in the transition from Mike Ashley’s penny pinching.

Bastard. Even came out and said he was happy. You're welcome to him Manchester, his son works for man City so good luck. 

Honestly hasn't done much for us than get a secret gambler over the line.

28 minutes ago, Nucasol said:

Fraud is maybe a bit far but the engine behind it all is the data analysis tooling  and methodology that exists in the scouting department, the modern equivalent of the old fashioned gadgie in a tatty Umbro jacket smoking a Woodbine and unearthing the next talent out of Barnet or Macclesfield.

I think it’s way more complicated. 

I respectfully disagree. I see where you are coming from. I’ve worked in this field for 7 years now. It’s way deeper than any of us will ever know. 

All I can say is that these people are experts in risk/reward assessment. 

I had a contract with a large sports betting company. We don’t leave any leaf unturned and the budget is very very large. 

There was an NBA game we worked and I was in a zoom call with a doctor, a sports trainer and a psychologist (amongst other sports data folks) they were discussing how an injury/being overweight would effect a certain player. Literally pulling up his movements and speculating on how he walks. Which angle his tendons are attached to his bones. Things I can’t even comprehend. They even brought up his social media and speculation about his personal life.

This player is Zion Williamson. 

I say all that just to give you an idea of how deep these people get into things. Down to travel time, change of time zones, etc etc. 

Ive been in another call where there was a very serious discussion about elevation. The Utah jazz and the Denver nuggets having an advantage over other teams by being acclimated to high altitude. 

As someone who manages odds, I want to let you know (based on my tiny knowledge and experience).. you have no clue how deep sports data and analytics goes. 

These people are playing chess and everyone else is playing checkers 

Edited by Sufi

8 hours ago, Lotus said:

I do hope this isn’t indicative of some further issues with the running of the football side of the club. If it is I hope it’s quickly identified and resolved. 

Does seem odd of him to want to go. Surely we could match the salary offered by Manchester. 

All his best mates now work there and they’ve been shite by their standards for a decade. Theyre still one of the top 5 biggest clubs in the world in spite of that. I can see why he wants out, the pathetic snake

4 minutes ago, gbandit said:

All his best mates now work there and they’ve been shite by their standards for a decade. Theyre still one of the top 5 biggest clubs in the world in spite of that. I can see why he wants out, the pathetic snake

It’s also closer to his family home. It’s disappointing he’s going but people move regularly especially in sport and I can see why he’s going also for the reasons you’ve mentioned. 

10 minutes ago, gbandit said:

He can't lose coming to us, and it's a crucial point that a lot of people are missing.

Newcastle are minted now. It's only a matter of time before you're at the top. This is expected by everyone. It's seen as when and not if.

On the flip side, we've been so poor for so long that if someone comes in and changes that they'll be treated like a god. If they fail, fingers will be pointed elsewhere.

Just now, Froggy said:

He can't lose coming to us, and it's a crucial point that a lot of people are missing.

Newcastle are minted now. It's only a matter of time before you're at the top. This is expected by everyone. It's seen as when and not if.

On the flip side, we've been so poor for so long that if someone comes in and changes that they'll be treated like a god. If they fail, fingers will be pointed elsewhere.

He can definitely lose. The media and fan attention on him once he starts there is going to be insane. If it goes tits up, he's going to get abuse just like anyone else would at that club. I'd class that as losing.

4 minutes ago, Mazzy said:

He can definitely lose. The media and fan attention on him once he starts there is going to be insane. If it goes tits up, he's going to get abuse just like anyone else would at that club. I'd class that as losing.

It’s clear half the fan base don’t understand his role here and that will be magnified ten fold at Man U. Not sure it’s helpful a DoF getting such hype like this. 

4 minutes ago, Mazzy said:

I'm telling you that won't happen. :lol: Especially if he's on gardening leave for the time suggested. He'll slip into the background as soon as he starts with us.

The media attention at the minute is a bit silly.  Bringing in Omar Berrada as CEO is arguably a bigger coup and very little was made of it.

2 minutes ago, Froggy said:

I'm telling you that won't happen. :lol: Especially if he's on gardening leave for the time suggested. He'll slip into the background as soon as he starts with us.

The media attention at the minute is a bit silly.  Bringing in Omar Berrada as CEO is arguably a bigger coup and very little was made of it.

Hoping you lot pay up as soon as possible so we can fuck him off and get paid. 

Id hope for some speculation regarding his replacement but our journalist are pretty clueless. 

1 minute ago, Froggy said:

You can tell me all you like but what you say isn't fact, it's still only an opinion like the thousands of others out there.

If you think Ashworth won't get stick if Man Utd go on an continue to be mediocre once he's appointed (lets say two seasons into his time there) then you are absolutely deluded.