Dan Ashworth (on gardening leave)

Rich

34 minutes ago, Froggy said:

No stirring. :lol: I just always find it funny when opposition fans try to tell us how we will react. I know how we will react. 

£400m in two years is fairly accelerated no? :lol:

You've spent £400m to add an extra room onto your house. We've spent £400m on the land, building materials and labour to build the fucking house. You're trying to compare apples to oranges here.

Just now, FloydianMag said:

You reckon…..I don’t:lol:

Don’t worry, the thing Froggy is deciding to ignore is the fact we already have the system described, it’s just titled in favour of clubs like Liverpool and Man United, they are just bitterly disappointed they couldn’t pull up the bridge before Chelsea and city took advantage. But hey, the league had space then, the owners of those clubs couldn’t give a shit about winning, it’s just about number going up for them. 

And don’t misunderstand me, I don’t think the game should be free of spending regulations, but I do believe they should be fair and designed to give everyone equal opportunity. 

5 minutes ago, r0cafella said:

Don’t worry, the thing Froggy is deciding to ignore is the fact we already have the system described, it’s just titled in favour of clubs like Liverpool and Man United, they are just bitterly disappointed they couldn’t pull up the bridge before Chelsea and city took advantage. But hey, the league had space then, the owners of those clubs couldn’t give a shit about winning, it’s just about number going up for them. 

And don’t misunderstand me, I don’t think the game should be free of spending regulations, but I do believe they should be fair and designed to give everyone equal opportunity. 

Governing bodies involving themselves in clubs (business) commercial activities is the issue however, difficult to impose any regulations without the possibility of a legal challenge.

You can see why manu want him. They find themselves targeting a slow build situation being a country mile behind city and Liverpool after the knee jerk spending failed to pay dividends. 
Will be interesting to see where both clubs are in 3 seasons time when ashworth has had time to influence and we have a.n. other in the role. 

40 minutes ago, mouldy_uk said:

Love to know what the AI thinks about our injuries 

33 minutes ago, TheBrownBottle said:

And yet, incredibly, a half-switched on football fan can identify good players and bad ones.  For all of the waffle and data crunching around it all, most teams tend to sign players that all of us have heard of.  

That's exactly the point. Brighton have led the way in using "waffle and data" - and now AI - to identify players that other clubs don't . . . and made £160m on Caicedo and Cucurella alone. Our record sale is still Andy Carroll...

13 minutes ago, magorific said:

That's exactly the point. Brighton have led the way in using "waffle and data" - and now AI - to identify players that other clubs don't . . . and made £160m on Caicedo and Cucurella alone. Our record sale is still Andy Carroll...

Great.  Happily, we took advantage of all of that with the signings we made in the last two years.  Minteh was the only one I wasn’t familiar with, and I’m far more of a passive observer of football these days. 

54 minutes ago, TheBrownBottle said:

And yet, incredibly, a half-switched on football fan can identify good players and bad ones.  For all of the waffle and data crunching around it all, most teams tend to sign players that all of us have heard of.  

I refer the right honourable gentleman to the Anthony Gordon thread.

Dan Ashworth : The thing is though, no-one's dispensable in my book, because we're like one big organism, one big animal. The guys upstairs on the phones, they're like the mouth. The guys down here, the hands.

Amanda Staveley : And what part are you?

Dan Ashworth : Good question. Probably the putrid festering judas boil that's just appeared on the end of its nose

1 hour ago, NE27 said:

In relation to the years prior, it was purely to bring us back to an even keel afaic.

And now we've had how many half cooked PL rules imposed in the last 2/3 years?

This - i f*&king hate it when people point out how much we've spent but conveniently stop before the Ashley era where Rafa cleared out a lot of crap the season when we went down and Ashley was buying things like Debenhams ffs.  we have a lot of catching up to do and others that say "you've spent loads - it's all about the money etc" is clearly missing that.

21 minutes ago, RS said:

You can see why manu want him. They find themselves targeting a slow build situation being a country mile behind city and Liverpool after the knee jerk spending failed to pay dividends. 
Will be interesting to see where both clubs are in 3 seasons time when ashworth has had time to influence and we have a.n. other in the role. 

Weren't they meant to be doing that with Ralf Rangnick, who was considered amongst best sporting directors in the world when they appointed him, then knee-jerked his reputation into the bin.

6 minutes ago, madras said:

I refer the right honourable gentleman to the Anthony Gordon thread.

True enough, I wasn’t one of the great doubters there mind :)

And Gordon wasn’t exactly your ‘moneyball’ signing.  He was pretty well known 

6 minutes ago, bobbydazzla said:

Dan Ashworth : The thing is though, no-one's dispensable in my book, because we're like one big organism, one big animal. The guys upstairs on the phones, they're like the mouth. The guys down here, the hands.

Amanda Staveley : And what part are you?

Dan Ashworth : Good question. Probably the putrid festering judas boil that's just appeared on the end of its nose

Well, you’re not looking at the whole pie Amanda

7 minutes ago, TheBrownBottle said:

True enough, I wasn’t one of the great doubters there mind :)

And Gordon wasn’t exactly your ‘moneyball’ signing.  He was pretty well known 

Well known enough for many to say "no".

I would criticise the entitlement of man united fans in this scenario but I expect Newcastle fans were similar when the club were trying to prise him from Brighton.

However, the comparison in this thread by the likes of Froggy on the relative constraints of FFP between Man United and Newcastle is simply laughable. I am amazed that football fans comment on finance when they simply don't understand it.

The alarm bells usually ring when a fan quotes 'net transfer spend' over a random arbitrary period which suits their particular argument. 

11 hours ago, Doctor Zaius said:

I know there's all this 'if he wants to leave then that's up to him' but he's barely been here two minutes. One summer window? It's poor on his part like. 

It's incredibly poor from someone in that senior a position. We knew what we were getting into with him doing the same to Brighton though, he wasn't there that long, and it seems evident now that their success wasn't as down to him as we were lead to believe.