Dan Ashworth (on gardening leave)

Rich

2 minutes ago, Froggy said:

We've faced criticism for years, and rightly so, about looking for expensive quick fixes. 

Now we're going after the best in class and willing to be patient to secure them, including not paying over the odds to release them from gardening leave. 

I'd say it's far from idiotic. :lol: it's a long term plan, which is something we haven't had in 10+ years. 

The people you are going after aren't the issue - it's the manner you're doing it in.  It seems entitled and arrogant, which I know is the Man Utd way, but I don't really see it as a sensible tactic.

1 minute ago, Froggy said:

We've faced criticism for years, and rightly so, about looking for expensive quick fixes. 

Now we're going after the best in class and willing to be patient to secure them, including not paying over the odds to release them from gardening leave. 

I'd say it's far from idiotic. :lol: it's a long term plan, which is something we haven't had in 10+ years. 

Which is fair enough re the long term plan and I completely get why you'd want someone to be actually prioritising football things for a change, what I'm questioning is why he is seemingly doing it so publicly given how limited sympathy Man U will get, allowing clubs to hold them over a barrel.

9 minutes ago, simonsays said:

The people you are going after aren't the issue - it's the manner you're doing it in.  It seems entitled and arrogant, which I know is the Man Utd way, but I don't really see it as a sensible tactic.

I don't see anything that we've done as entitled and arrogant. We've approached clubs the same way as any other club would do. Berrada was done quietly with City. Ashworth there's been noise. 

The only thing that was arrogant was SJR's interview, which none of us liked. Keep quiet and carry on. 

4 minutes ago, Froggy said:

I don't see anything that we've done as entitled and arrogant. We've approached clubs the same way as any other club would do. Berrada was done quietly with City. Ashworth there's been noise. 

The only thing that was arrogant was SJR's interview, which none of us liked. Keep quiet and carry on. 

Shock horror

34 minutes ago, Froggy said:

If that's the plan from the outset, fair enough. If you genuinely have been happy to wait for his gardening leave to expire from day 1, crack on. 

However all the indications from news reports are that you're wanting us to fold like a pack of cards and let him leave early for a pittance, because of the 'allure' of him going to Man U. If that's the case I'd rather tell you to get fucked and let him rot in his garden.

Especially after how you allegedly behaved over Lingard.

11 minutes ago, Chris_R said:

If that's the plan from the outset, fair enough. If you genuinely have been happy to wait for his gardening leave to expire from day 1, crack on. 

However all the indications from news reports are that you're wanting us to fold like a pack of cards and let him leave early for a pittance, because of the 'allure' of him going to Man U. If that's the case I'd rather tell you to get fucked and let him rot in his garden.

Especially after how you allegedly behaved over Lingard.

There's nothing to suggest we want you to fold like a pack of cards. You want a fee which we think is excessive. Therefore we wait. Everything else is speculation. 

Ratcliffe may well have thought you'd have settled for less, but I doubt it. He's not stupid. Ashworth is a prized asset and he knew he would come at a premium, especially when you paid a relatively significant fee for him less than two years ago. 

I am glad you said allegedly with Lingard situation. But if it was true, you have to remember we have had absolute dummies in charge for ages. We could have got £6/7m for Lingard and let him rot instead while asking for £20m. That decision is why we're delighted at competent people being hired. 

1 minute ago, et tu brute said:

Especially the one posting on here :lol:

Another poster blissfully unaware of his reputation. 

Don't worry, bigfella will be along to like your post shortly. 

2 minutes ago, Froggy said:

Another poster blissfully unaware of his reputation. 

Don't worry, bigfella will be along to like your post shortly. 

For the third time, I don't give two fucks what you say [emoji38]

8 minutes ago, Froggy said:

There's nothing to suggest we want you to fold like a pack of cards. You want a fee which we think is excessive. Therefore we wait. Everything else is speculation. 

You may be right. But there was so much press noise at the time that it was hard to think this wasn't coming from somewhere, a leak from someone trying to force something. 

Speculation of course, but that's how it certainly felt. And I'm happy to speculate, this is an internet discussion forum after all, none of us are dealing entirely with only 100% confirmed facts.

Can someone explain to me exactly why Ashworth is so sought after? Why is he rated so highly above anyone else out there at the top level of football? This entire thing hasn't really bothered me outside of it being Man Utd trying to unsettle our plans because regardless of what Ashworth does, I'm fairly certain someone else will come in and we'll still get to where we want to be. Either we get £20 odd million for him or he rots for 2 years doing nothing while his replacement is taking us forward, and I'm happy enough with either scenario. 

With regards to giving someone like Ashworth to a rival I'm not arsed because they'd get someone of equal standing in anyway even if it wasn't him. The problem Man Utd have is that the Glazers still own the majority of the club and eventually it'll be a problem. Do you think we'd be on our upward trajectory now if PIF got 27% of Newcastle and Mike Ashley still owned the rest? Of course not. 

5 minutes ago, simonsays said:

Surely not a juvenile response from you? I expected so much better

Nope, me and Mr. Brute have had this dance before hence his "for the third time." I was merely acknowledging what he said. 

2 minutes ago, astraguy said:

Ok I'm lost, they want Dan from us as a dof plus this geezer from Southampton? And whatever that dude from city did 

Berrada - Chief Executive

Ashworth - Sporting Director

Wilcox - Technical Director

I think.

12 minutes ago, Froggy said:

Berrada - Chief Executive

Ashworth - Sporting Director

Wilcox - Technical Director

I think.

It looks like Liverpool might want Wilcox as well.

3 minutes ago, Ben said:

It looks like Liverpool might want Wilcox as well.

Yeah I thought they had agreed a deal with him but maybe not. 

4 hours ago, Jack27 said:

Both, yes. 

Ashworth would be sporting director

Wilcox, technical director 

what is the difference?