Dan Ashworth (on gardening leave)

Rich

2 minutes ago, brummie said:

After four years in Newcastle as a student my family and friends reckoned I had added clear Geordie inflections to my mild* Brummie accent. 

* private school wanker. 

Knew a lovely fella originally from Devon who I wish I'd recorded speaking (I'd known him from my being 6wks old), a mix of Geordie words in his Devonian accent and distant Northern inflections in his speaking.

2 minutes ago, madras said:

Knew a lovely fella originally from Devon who I wish I'd recorded speaking (I'd known him from my being 6wks old), a mix of Geordie words in his Devonian accent and distant Northern inflections in his speaking.

First person I met at Newcastle Poly on my course, day one, was a lad from Yeovil who'd got onto the course purely because he was a Newcastle fan (think his parents were from there) and wanted an excuse to move up and go to matches.

Didn't bother going to any lectures or owt, got kicked off the course (which you had to pretty much TRY to do on a social sciences course at a 1980s polytechnic, believe me).

5 minutes ago, TheBrownBottle said:

I think it’s more the building up of an administrator into someone who is irreplaceable.

Just because what Ashley did was shite, doesn’t mean we need to fawn over what follows.  The ‘let’s do what Ashley did then’ stuff is daft. 

And we're seeing a bloke getting stick for a poor run of form on the pitch and and unprecedented injury crisis this season. I honestly hate a lot of our support.

2 minutes ago, madras said:

Sounds like me after being in Moray for the best part of 25 years. Especially in the new job, the first time I was home and uttered the words "I dinnae ken" I knew I was ruined ? in fairness as an older adult CPN, visiting the elderly in their own homes I've had to pick up a fair bit of Doric to be able to understand them 

2 minutes ago, brummie said:

First person I met at Newcastle Poly on my course, day one, was a lad from Yeovil who'd got onto the course purely because he was a Newcastle fan (think his parents were from there) and wanted an excuse to move up and go to matches.

Didn't bother going to any lectures or owt, got kicked off the course (which you had to pretty much TRY to do on a social sciences course at a 1980s polytechnic, believe me).

Could you understand him though ?

If he wants out then he can fuck right off. Glorified HR manager for his time here so far and some questionable appointments.

Could be a reason for the lack of activity though, why let him run another transfer window etc if he’s off.

Just now, madras said:

Could you understand him though ?

I don't know, I was shitfaced or pilled up the entire four years. I didn't really understand anything.

1 minute ago, Optimistic Nut said:

And we're seeing a bloke getting stick for a poor run of form on the pitch and and unprecedented injury crisis this season. I honestly hate a lot of our support.

I think it probably has more to do with him about to piss off 18 months into his contract, after we paid Brighton a lot of money and had to wait six months for him to join.  If he left now what exactly would his legacy be?  The physios were his appointments and we’ve had non stop injury crises.  No one is ever accountable, though - to question it means that your support is in question.  

Hate other people all you want, I wouldn’t have the energy for it.  Support isn’t fawning sycophancy. 

1 minute ago, brummie said:

I don't know, I was shitfaced or pilled up the entire four years. I didn't really understand anything.

Tell that to students today and they won't believe you.

1 minute ago, Dr Jinx said:

If he wants out then he can fuck right off. Glorified HR manager for his time here so far and some questionable appointments.

Could be a reason for the lack of activity though, why let him run another transfer window etc if he’s off.

Have you got any inside info on what is going on within the club? Why make all these assumptions? 

1 minute ago, TheBrownBottle said:

I think it probably has more to do with him about to piss off 18 months into his contract, after we paid Brighton a lot of money and had to wait six months for him to join.  If he left now what exactly would his legacy be?  The physios were his appointments and we’ve had non stop injury crises.  No one is ever accountable, though - to question it means that your support is in question.  

Hate other people all you want, I wouldn’t have the energy for it.  Support isn’t fawning sycophancy. 

If Man Utd pay a lot for him how does that affect FFP ?

(Kidding).

Edited by madras

Here's our squad 2.5 years ago. We've had 5 windows or so to go from that, to a CL competing squad. In that time we've had to deal with FFP so have had to keep on the likes of Dummett and Ritchie longer than we probably would have wanted. We've had to bring down an ageing squad by bringing in the likes of Gordon, Hall and Livramento for the future, as well as trying to bring in experienced players but still a fairly young age (Isak, Barnes, Tonali...)

We're never in a million years going to have a perfect squad. We might still be another 2.5 years away from that even.

Off the pitch, we had Ashley using us as an advertising tool, with a tool running the show from top to bottom. We've pretty much had to start from scratch, yet we're sat here a few points off top 6, on the back of a fairly decent CL campaign, we're only going to get better, and the likes of Ashworth and Howe are getting stick in some quarters.

People can get to fuck.

Screenshot_20240103-224349.png

Just now, Optimistic Nut said:

Here's our squad 2.5 years ago. We've had 5 windows or so to go from that, to a CL competing squad. In that time we've had to deal with FFP so have had to keep on the likes of Dummett and Ritchie longer than we probably would have wanted. We've had to bring down an ageing squad by bringing in the likes of Gordon, Hall and Livramento for the future, as well as trying to bring in experienced players but still a fairly young age (Isak, Barnes, Tonali...)

We're never in a million years going to have a perfect squad. We might still be another 2.5 years away from that even.

Off the pitch, we had Ashley using us as an advertising tool, with a tool running the show from top to bottom. We've pretty much had to start from scratch, yet we're sat here a few points off top 6, on the back of a fairly decent CL campaign, we're only going to get better, and the likes of Ashworth and Howe are getting stick in some quarters.

People can get to fuck.

Fantastic post

2 minutes ago, Optimistic Nut said:

People can get to fuck.

Make sure you give Ashworth a big thank you hug when he fucks off to Salford 

Sorry to derail this thread further. But I’m not denying people have different accents and will find it hard to understand what people are saying in certain situations. Like a large group of people chatting back and forward, or in a pub, or maybe even over the phone. 

Just not having the absolute nonsense that only people from London can understand each other and that they don’t speak English properly. Whatever that means :lol: 

There are a whole host of counties that have a very non-descript, generic southern accent. Then plenty along the midlands and further north that I don’t think have really strong or hard to understand accents, as well. 

Most people with a really strong accent tend to slow it down a bit or go a bit softer. Which is just common courtesy. The same as when you go abroad or when talking to a non-English speaker. 

You do get some right old fen boys round these parts that I struggle to understand, mind. Like they have their own language :lol: 

5 minutes ago, TheBrownBottle said:

Our support don't deserve the likes of him and Howe.

I'd love to see how many of the people piping up now against these individuals are the same who sat in silence while the likes of Ashley, Charnley, Pardew, Llambias, Kinnear, McClaren, Bruce ran us into the ground. 

There's about 35k supporters who deserve that incarnation of NUFC, not this one.

Edited by Optimistic Nut

4 minutes ago, TheBrownBottle said:

Might also want to re-direct him back to Trafford (the borough of Greater Manchester in which their ground actually sits) if he overshoots and ends up in Salford ?

15 minutes ago, madras said:

Tell that to students today and they won't believe you.

Poor the current generation.

And to think, it was all free of charge, too.

2 minutes ago, Optimistic Nut said:

Our support don't deserve the likes of him and Howe.

I'd love to see how many of the people piping up now against these individuals are the same who sat in silence while the likes of Ashley, Charnley, Pardew, Llambias, Kinnear, McClaren, Bruce ran us into the ground. 

There's about 35k supporters who deserve that incarnation of NUFC, not this one.

And I’m not one of them.  I walked after KK resigned - I didn’t attend a match after Bolton (H) in 2008.  That wasn’t an easy thing to do.  I didn’t sit in silence whatsoever.

I’m not happy reading people writing that they ‘hate’ people for having a different view, or what people ‘deserve’.  I got to miss out on the social elements of match days with friends and families because I hated what Ashley did and would do.  

I don’t ‘deserve’ an administrator as wonderful as Dan Ashworth.  Haddaway man.  

6 minutes ago, gbandit said:

Have you got any inside info on what is going on within the club? Why make all these assumptions? 

I know several people working for the club, never discussed Dan Ashworth in depth for what it’s worth.

He’s been the one making all the infrastructure hiring decisions, Derek Wright stepping away fully was his initiative (he wanted a clean slate to work with) and it’s not something that’s worked out too well so far.

He’s been the one hiring all the analysts too, didn’t one just leave a few days ago?

4 minutes ago, Coffee_Johnny said:

Might also want to re-direct him back to Trafford (the borough of Greater Manchester in which their ground actually sits) if he overshoots and ends up in Salford ?

Are you not following the thread? we can’t understand southern accents, let alone their geography.