Nick Pope

Rich

Noticed so much yesterday how nervous the back 4 feel when wanting to go back to him, times when they having to look long. His ability to kick imo gives no option but to upgrade.

23 hours ago, Tsunami said:

I watched him do a 10 minute drill pre match where he had to control a pass and hit out to the left, middle and right off either foot. 

He did ok but the drill needs to include someone closing him down. 

His shop stopping by far out weighs his skills with his feet. We should allow him to hit long more often. Asking him to play a difficult pass into Bruno’s feet who is shouting for the ball with an opposing player rapidly closing him down is just asking for trouble. 

Problem there, if the idea is to play through Bruno, you can’t rip up the blueprint just because that one player can’t do it. You have to persist with it, as rest of team is drilled into it and you upgrade the players that can’t do it.

Going long, just masks Pope limitations but doesn’t help us as a side going forward when we do upgrade him and want to start playing more.

26 minutes ago, Sibierski said:

Problem there, if the idea is to play through Bruno, you can’t rip up the blueprint just because that one player can’t do it. You have to persist with it, as rest of team is drilled into it and you upgrade the players that can’t do it.

Going long, just masks Pope limitations but doesn’t help us as a side going forward when we do upgrade him and want to start playing more.

I get that but he should have license to pick and choose. He tried to play one into Bruno’s feet in the 2nd half where Pirlo would have struggled to make the pass.

Risk and reward, it’s not just us, it’s just crazy how many teams are asking their keeper to pick a pass to a player under pressure 25 yards out from goal right bang in the middle of the pitch. The keeper then gets pelters when it goes wrong.

56 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

It’s a problem.  You can see how a ball playing keeper will help us tremendously. 

But I still prefer Pope to 90% of goalkeepers. I wouldn’t swap Pope for the likes of Vicario at this moment. 

It’s not such an issue with Schar and Botman available, but without I can’t help find thinking how badly we lack a keeper with feet. I actually expected we might sign one in the summer especially after Popes injury.

But I’m with you, there arnt many other keepers in the league I’d swap him with. Just imagine he was even half capable at actually playing football though.

Edited by Nine

7 minutes ago, Nine said:

It’s not such an issue with Schar and Botman available, but without I can’t help find thinking how badly we lack a keeper with feet. I actually expected we might sign one in the summer especially after Popes injury.

But I’m with you, there arnt many other keepers in the league I’d swap him with. Just imagine he was even half capable at actually playing football though.

Just on that last paragraph. It would be like saying imagine if Wilson stayed fit (years ago now, mind). Imagine if Bruno was really quick and a bit more powerful. Imagine if Big Joe had world class quality on the ball. 

They wouldn’t be playing for us as they’d be the next rung up ability wise and would be playing for a truly elite level team. 

Edited by Lush Vlad

13 minutes ago, Lush Vlad said:

Just on that last paragraph. It would be like saying imagine if Wilson stayed fit (years ago now, mind). Imagine if Bruno was really quick and a bit more powerful. Imagine if Big Joe had world class quality on the ball. 

They wouldn’t be playing for us as they’d be the next rung up ability wise and would be playing for a truly elite level team. 

Yeah of course, he wouldn’t have been signed from Burnley for £12m (or whatever it was).

It’s nice to dream though, he’d be one of the world’s most complete keepers with feet. He might be the best shot stopper in the league as it is, his injury was really concerning but so far he seems there or there about as he was before.. it’s good to see.

Edited by Nine

First and foremost a goalkeeper is there to keep goal, hence the name goalkeeper.  A goalkeeper like that arsehole Man City keeper that did a back heel can fuck right off.  The commentators thought it was wonderfully funny and showed confidence in his ability whereas it showed that he was a complete tit.  I'm right, honestly.

12 minutes ago, Rod said:

First and foremost a goalkeeper is there to keep goal, hence the name goalkeeper.  A goalkeeper like that arsehole Man City keeper that did a back heel can fuck right off.  The commentators thought it was wonderfully funny and showed confidence in his ability whereas it showed that he was a complete tit.  I'm right, honestly.

IMG_2471.thumb.jpeg.ef78e8020ea59e3c9ff3952d5edd312c.jpeg

17 minutes ago, Rod said:

Love this. Entirely correct.

43 minutes ago, Rod said:

You'd have had an aneurysm watching Pav repeatedly go to kick with his right then drop his shoulder and leave attackers on their arse, then casually stroll off up the pitch with the ball.

Used to do it every single match and from memory it worked every time.

Caoimhín Kelleher, has been brilliant whenever Liverpool have called on him, has shown he can handle the pressure and is excellent with the ball at his feet. Plus he wants to move somewhere he can play regularly and is only 25. 

13 minutes ago, Irish Paul said:

Caoimhín Kelleher, has been brilliant whenever Liverpool have called on him, has shown he can handle the pressure and is excellent with the ball at his feet. Plus he wants to move somewhere he can play regularly and is only 25. 

Haven't see him play but the Irish lad could be worth a punt I guess.

17 hours ago, Rod said:

The backheel I'm with you on, but the role of a keeper has changed now to be both a custodian of the net and also a starting block for possession. We're in a transition period now where keepers are good of one or the other, give it 5 more years and all keepers will be ball players unless the whole way of playing reverts back to 4-4-2 direct playing (wouldn't be a bad thing imo!)