Nick Pope: "on track" for return before end of season (Hope)

Rich

Just now, Klaus said:

Nah. For me he slipped/mistimed the header, and used his arm to stop the ball out of instinct after making the initial mistake.

That’s basically what I mean. I don’t think it was a purposeful thing… instinctual maybe…

Just seems harsh to miss another game / 3 for something so irrelevant. It’s not dangerous. It’s not malicious. It’s a momentary lapse that already cost us in one game.

Just now, Shadow Puppets said:

That’s basically what I mean. I don’t think it was a purposeful thing… instinctual maybe…

Just seems harsh to miss another game / 3 for something so irrelevant. It’s not dangerous. It’s not malicious. It’s a momentary lapse that already cost us in one game.

It's just one game for denying a goalscoring opportunity.

Was definitely instinct rather than deliberate, but it's worth appealing regardless of whether they extend it or not. The argument that he wasn't last man can be made as Longstaff was technically back, just not sure if that's even the criteria anymore. Last man usually means the last man before the 'keeper.

4 minutes ago, Shadow Puppets said:

I don’t think he did it on purpose like. I think slipped, tried to header it, and reached out his arms as he fell down. I don’t think the intention was ever to catch the ball.

From memory, you're right, but there was effectively two hand balls. That happened, and then secondly he began to instinctively shepherd it with his forearm for a split second. Accidentally deliberate, so to speak.

1 minute ago, Klaus said:

Nah. For me he slipped/mistimed the header, and used his arm to stop the ball out of instinct after making the initial mistake.

Takes his eyes off the ball when he goes to head it and after that I just think it was natural keeper instinct for handling the ball. 

Just now, OoOGazOoO said:

I didn't understand it was a 1 match ban and not 3.

But now I stand corrected [emoji38]

Violent conduct and danger/reckless challenges are 3 game bans, so too is spitting (might be 4 for spitting). Everything else is a 1 game ban.

Just now, Kid Icarus said:

Was definitely instinct rather than deliberate, but it's worth appealing regardless of whether they extend it or not. The argument that he wasn't last man can be made as Longstaff was technically back, just not sure if that's even the criteria anymore. Last man usually means the last man before the 'keeper.

If there's any chance at all we should appeal. Best case scenario we get Pope back for the final, worst case we have Dubs in goal against City. Worth the risk imo

Can we not argue he's served most of his 1 match suspension already?  Just have him not play the first 20 mins of the final.  Start the other lad and make a sub....  Add that and tonight together and voila... you have 1 match punishment. 

No?  Well, thought it was worth a shot! 

Just now, Stifler said:

Violent conduct and danger/reckless challenges are 3 game bans, so too is spitting (might be 4 for spitting). Everything else is a 1 game ban.

Nice one thanks! Well that is better than I realised, still crap he misses the Cup Final mind, he will be gutted.

Just now, Kid Icarus said:

"Last man" has never been part of the rules, it's "denying a clear goalscoring opportunity"

For me there's absolutely zero chance of getting that overturned, it's a clear red. It's a red if you're fouled when clean through on goal against the goalkeeper, Salah is clean through against Sean Longstaff. :lol:

Just now, LiquidAK said:

If there's any chance at all we should appeal. Best case scenario we get Pope back for the final, worst case we have Dubs in goal against City. Worth the risk imo

No point they are the rules, why risk having another game added, when there is no doubt he handled it?

It was a blatant red card. 

Goal keepers simply can't handle the ball outside of the area. Imagine playing against a team who's keeper does that and gets yellow card [emoji38]

Absolutely no chance of winning an appeal. 

Edited by Scotty66

1 minute ago, mofo said:

Just seen it back, how are people thinking it wasn't intentional?? 😂 Am I missing something??

In fairness, the bit where he deliberately scraped the ball away from Salah's feet, back in to his chest, looked fairly unintentional, shocking call from the Ref really.

Just now, Wullie said:

"Last man" has never been part of the rules, it's "denying a clear goalscoring opportunity"

For me there's absolutely zero chance of getting that overturned, it's a clear red. It's a red if you're fouled when clean through on goal against the goalkeeper, Salah is clean through against Sean Longstaff. :lol:

Last man or not is nigh on always used as part of the argument for whether it's a clear goalscoring opportunity or not. Agree, re the bit in bold, that's what I meant when I was saying it doesn't include the 'keeper.

As frivolous as it might be, it's probably worth the gamble in the circumstances 

1 minute ago, mofo said:

Just seen it back, how are people thinking it wasn't intentional?? 😂 Am I missing something??

I don't believe it was but only the Pope knows. Looked to me like hhe fell and lost his mind for a second and pulled it in.

3 minutes ago, Scotty66 said:

Goal keepers simply can't handle the ball outside of the area. Imagine playing against a team who's keeper does that and gets yellow card [emoji38]

I could have sworn that's happened 

5 minutes ago, Scotty66 said:

I read Howe was suggesting it was a yellow, imagine that, the other way around, we would be furious. I think the red would be easier to accept if missing the final wasn’t the case….

Edited by Tisd09

Just now, et tu brute said:

I didn't read the post you were quoting. Fair dos, still no point in appealing though. 

Yeah fair - on balance I probably agree. If the club think there's any hope it'd succeed we should, but I'm not sure I see the possibility myself.

It’s worth the gamble of appealing as its almost zero-risk, but the notion that it isn’t a goal scoring opportunity as Pope isn’t last man is hilarious - the goalkeeper doesn’t usually count in ‘last man’ arguments re red cards (the ‘last man’ usually being the last outfield player).  It’s a deliberate handball by a keeper to prevent a goal scoring opportunity.  If that’s not a red card, then I’m looking forward to the chaos that will ensue for the rest of the season as keepers run out of their box with a minute to go and pluck a bouncing ball out of the air for the inevitable booking :)