Memberships (2023/24)

ceolnamara

19 minutes ago, NITON said:

Had your mate downloaded it to his device/wallet? 

Yeah, and he’s now downloaded mine to his wallet, even though I’d already put it in mine.

The two tickets are linked online with a ‘strong relationship’ on the ticket site. Again, don’t know if that makes a difference ??‍♂️

2 minutes ago, Stifler said:

In regards to the Villa price increase. Could Villa also not be classed as a higher category game than last season, considering they finished in a European spot?

They could be, but I very much doubt they’ve downgraded any of the teams that were previously in top category, so it’s going to be an increase whichever way you look at it.

16 hours ago, Wandy said:

I can't believe people will continue to tolerate being thrown into one big category and then allow the club to decide where you sit within it. What an absolutely shite system.

Totally agree. My younger formative years of watching NUFC were defined by which area I went in, as was the case for just about everyone. When my dad started taking me regularly back in the 80s our spot would be the very back of the old West Stand Paddocks and I would sit on his shoulders.

Late 80s I started going with my mates from school and our area of choice was the Scoreboard. Other groups of lads from our school would either be in the Corner or the Leazes right up next to the away fans. Then in 1991 me and my dad got season tickets in the old family enclosure and in 1993 I moved to the new Leazes End where I stayed until moving to the Gallowgate in 2006 as the Leazes End had turned to shit.

The Gallowgate is my area of choice still. I've sat in every other part of SJP and genuinely would rather watch the match on TV than sit in certain sections.

They've turned it into a lucky dip really and that's not what going to the match should ever be about. I am glad they've scrapped randomly allocating any part of the ground as that would have stopped me applying for tickets altogether but this is still far from ideal.

Surely instead of selecting by price category it would be easy enough to do it by stand instead.

12 hours ago, Hovagod said:

Yep- despite not being in the North East much of the time, I’ve kept my season ticket on because I like going to the games when I’m back. It’s only now that that is a problem. For years I couldn’t give match tickets away. 

The club are clearly going to act differently now though when theres such a demand. It’s not like the Ashley era was the norm in terms of demand and everyone trying to get now who didn’t go then is a glory seeker. They’re going to clamp down on companies who had a raft of tickets for clients and those who have more than one ticket in their own name, even if that was fine 5 years ago when crowds were at 45k or whatever.

Every club is going digital and will be doing similar. I travel down from Edinburgh and you can’t even get into Hearts and Hibs without a supporter number and they’re phasing out printed tickets.

Not bringing this up as a defence of the club (although it’s going to come across like that…), but in that TF interview, Silverstone said something along the lines of ‘digital ticketing normally takes six months to implement, and we’re trying to do it in six weeks’.

Now, firstly, they’ve probably had more than six weeks, and even ignoring that, it begs the question, why not just wait until next season?

However, it leads me to believe that some (not all) of the decisions taken have been done so out of necessity to get something in place, rather than being as calculated and hard-nosed as some of us fear.

Maybe I’m being overly generous there, and the proof either way will be in how things evolve going forward, but if you were struggling for something to be optimistic about following the last few days, that might be something to cling on to.

If you want to replace your website, back office systems and come up with a new customer management system you would be thinking at least a year, if not longer. 

Many questions about why they decided to go ahead with such a half-baked solution. But I guess it came from good intentions of trying to improve things. 

What happens from now remains to be seen. 

Whoever decided on the random price allocation though, has displayed a fundamental lack of understanding about who is buying tickets and what their needs might be. That is still worrying to me. 

Edited by AyeDubbleYoo

10 hours ago, SteV said:

As per Paully‘s post, Silverstone says is this interview we’ve sold over 50k memberships (that’s how I take what he’s said anyway, is there another interpretation?), which is an incredible number IMO, certainly more than I expected, even if it’s a bit less than the Twitter ITK’s claimed, and not quite Burnsie’s 200k+.

50,000 members at £37 is just under £2m/year. That £35k/week should cover Bruno's new contract.

I always try to think of Keegan's speech at Shearer's unveiling "That's your season tickets, the money you spend at the club shop...etc". We can debate whether this is all too much too soon (and in my opinion the price increases this season are too much) but I can at least believe that they're doing it with the genuine intention of increasing revenue to improve the club, specifically the playing squad (which, due to FFP, we can't do without increasing revenue).

8 minutes ago, SteV said:

Not bringing this up as a defence of the club (although it’s going to come across like that…), but in that TF interview, Silverstone said something along the lines of ‘digital ticketing normally takes six months to implement, and we’re trying to do it in six weeks’.

Now, firstly, they’ve probably had more than six weeks, and even ignoring that, it begs the question, why not just wait until next season?

However, it leads me to believe that some (not all) of the decisions taken have been done so out of necessity to get something in place, rather than being as calculated and hard-nosed as some of us fear.

Maybe I’m being overly generous there, and the proof either way will be in how things evolve going forward, but if you were struggling for something to be optimistic about following the last few days, that might be something to cling on to.

:thup: A bit blunt but I think 'never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity' really rings true here.

They've fucked the ticketing process from beginning to end this summer. I'm sure if they wanted to be callous they could've done it in much more efficient ways that didn't cause the uproar this has. 

19 minutes ago, Keegans Export said:

50,000 members at £37 is just under £2m/year. That £35k/week should cover Bruno's new contract.

I always try to think of Keegan's speech at Shearer's unveiling "That's your season tickets, the money you spend at the club shop...etc". We can debate whether this is all too much too soon (and in my opinion the price increases this season are too much) but I can at least believe that they're doing it with the genuine intention of increasing revenue to improve the club, specifically the playing squad (which, due to FFP, we can't do without increasing revenue).

You’re right, Keegan did say that - but back then match day revenue and club shop income represented the majority of a club’s income.  That’s why we were able to compete under our own steam.

Once the broadcasts became international, and sponsorships and commercials driven by foreign markets, it skewed everything completely.  The ‘Sky Six’ are in reality ‘the international six’ - they have revenue streams off the charts compared to other clubs because of their draw overseas. 

36 minutes ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

Problem is the likelihood of getting in. Would you rather sit in the gallowgate or leazes or not go at all? 

I think the next step will be selecting multiple price brackets, but the only real solution is picking your own seat. 

I'd genuinely rather watch it in the pub than go in the Leazes End. Used to hate it in there. Loads of people moaning and whining. I would come away depressed even after we'd won half the time. Was a soul destroying experience in there at times. If it's a changed place these days then fair enough. I exclude the NE corner from any criticism as it always looks lively in there and I'd be happy to sit in that particular section.

Think I mentioned on here about my Level 7 experience v Southampton in the Semi Final last season. Only place we could get tickets for. The pub beforehand was brilliant, walking to the ground you could feel the excitement, got to our seats and it was so so flat. People sat playing on their phones only half interested in the match and zero atmosphere. I'd have enjoyed myself more if I'd stayed in the pub amd watched it there. We left our seats on 75 mins and walked down and around to the Gallowgate and as the gates were already open just walked in and stood in the Corner and watched the rest of the game from there which was a totally different experience. It actually felt like being at a completely different match.

It hit home how much being in the right part of the ground for you can decide whether you enjoy yourself or not.

8 minutes ago, Groundhog63 said:

Aye, I'm just an ordinary Joe and not an uberfan tho. 

"We just want a team that tries" lmao

It's a thread about the membership scheme, in which people are making suggestions about how a new and pretty rudimentary system could be improved. 

I'm not really sure what your point is.

I'm sure I had read that members were also going to be able to buy cup packages, cant see anything now, I may have just made that up 

So are we guessing it will be the same "ballot" format for them?

38 minutes ago, The Prophet said:

It's a thread about the membership scheme, in which people are making suggestions about how a new and pretty rudimentary system could be improved. 

I was under the impression that forums were created to encourage discussion and debate and allow people to voice opinion… whether you agree is neither here nor there…. 

Not sure what the definition of ‘Uber fan’ is or the reason behind the ‘oooh look at me I’m just an ordinary joe’ comment… 

54 minutes ago, The Prophet said:

Aye, ha, when does an "opinion" become a "point" ?

There's a lot of self appointed uberfans bleating on about access they feel they're entitled to being stifled by the club. The club, seemingly, intent on sharing the love, to a wider audience. (*) 

This entitlement, as seen on this thread, permeates many others as well. 

It started almost straight after the takeover. From an albeit minority, an outcry to bin 20+ "deadwood" & buy (insert any number of £80m players) instantly. 1st Jan window in fact. 

From then to now. 

Bin Wilson, Burn's shit, Crap window, Im a better fan than you, Club's shafting us blah blah fucking blah. 

Boo hoo fucking hoo ?

"We only want a team that tries" my arse

Caulkin summed it up succinctly, tbf. Recognised that the sad thing, possibly the only sad thing, to come from last season's amazing efforts was it was all achieved with a high degree of innocence and naivety. No matter how we do going forward that feeling will never be the same again. 

Just an observation, opinion NOT a point ?

* ps not suggesting the club can't make mistakes but they're from a good place. 

7 minutes ago, Groundhog63 said:

There's a lot of self appointed uberfans bleating on about access they feel they're entitled to being stifled by the club.

What's your evidence for this?

15 minutes ago, Groundhog63 said:

There's a lot of self appointed uberfans bleating on about access they feel they're entitled to being stifled by the club. The club, seemingly, intent on sharing the love, to a wider audience. (*) 

It started almost straight after the takeover. From an albeit minority, an outcry to bin 20+ "deadwood" & buy (insert any number of £80m players) instantly. 1st Jan window in fact. 

From then to now. 

Bin Wilson, Burn's shit, Crap window, Im a better fan than you, Club's shafting us blah blah fucking blah. 

Boo hoo fucking hoo ?

Caulkin summed it up succinctly, tbf. Recognised that the sad thing, possibly the only sad thing, to come from last season's amazing efforts was it was all achieved with a high degree of innocence and naivety. No matter how we do going forward that feeling will never be the same again. 

You don't have to be a self appointed uberfan to be concerned that to have a chance of watching your team you will firstly have to pay £37 and be lucky enough to "win" via a ballot, but then won't actually be given the opportunity to choose your own seat from what is available and pay the relevant price.

That's just the fundamental basics of event management and every other sporting and entertainment venue that hosts high demand events seems to be able to manage it, apart from NUFC.

Edited by bobbydazzla

1 minute ago, bobbydazzla said:

You don't have to be a self appointed uberfan to expect that when "winning" the chance to watch your team via a ballot, you will then actually be given the opportunity to choose your own seat from what is available and pay the relevant price.

That's just the fundamental basics of event management and every other sporting and entertainment venue that hosts high demand events seems to be able to manage it, apart from NUFC.

Fucking crybaby. Thought you just wanted a team that tries? 

15 minutes ago, Groundhog63 said:

From then to now. 

Boo hoo fucking hoo ?

You’re conflating two entirely separate things here.