Memberships (2023/24)

ceolnamara

22 minutes ago, patrone said:

They managed for the cup final, so why not now?

ballot 1 previous members that attended 5 games

Ballot 2 previous members that attended 3 games

Etc etc

Now we have as much chance of a ticket as an away fan who gambles 🤷‍♂️

Good point, but that was all bollocks anyway. The ballot was drawn at the same time, so despite ‘pots’ nobody got priority 

I’m a longtime (25 years!) fan from Singapore coming to see a game for the first time this December vs. Forest. Paid for an international membership as I wanted to get tickets, but seeing how the balloting played out for the Villa game I went and got a Barracks hospitality ticket instead. :laugh2:

9 minutes ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

I’ve had a few but they’ve all been a bit different to ours. 

Arsenal is tiered membership, so you’d never get in ahead of a regular fan. The first tier is free and PL games never reach that tier. I only went to the pre-season Emirates Cup. 

Fulham has a neutral section so anyone can buy tickets. They don’t have the demand to fill their ground so they regularly have thousands of tourists and away fans buying those tickets. Again, it’s not stopping any Fulham fan going. 

Even when I went to Spurs it was a resale site, so the ticket had been owned by a Spurs season ticket holder or member first. 

I don’t have a coherent argument here really, there’s no solution other than more seats. But it hurts deeply to have been going to every match one season and then potentially only one or two the next. With no prospect of ever getting back to regular attendance. It’s really sucked the excitement out of the PL season completely. 

I maintain that the membership system has been rushed and written on the back of a fag packet. 

Considering that memberships is about raising money and widening the ‘fan base’ I can’t believe the club didn’t look into how other club’s run their memberships. 

I also find it a tad saddening that the only change from the club was to change the ballot to allow you to select a pricing category. There’s still a lot that can be worked on to make a membership more desirable, for EVERYONE, moving forward.

Of course I’m selfish and the old system suited me. But to look at the new system pragmatically, there’s a lot of holes in it. The club must and should be doing better. 

34 minutes ago, NE27 said:

I've had to buy a CL package up front for the fear I'd miss out on tickets if we were to progress, which obviously in the past for cup games etc I'd pick and choose what I could make.

Fear of missing out is a very real prospect after Wembley last season, an almost alien concept at nufc.

It is not just Wembley though - even cup games for St James. If you don't sign up to the cup scheme there is every chance you'll miss out as you'll fall into the ballot.  

Edited by duo

Straw poll…..

Q1. Does anyone know people who consistently failed to get tickets since Oct 2021 and have now been able to get a ticket for Villa in the ballot ?

Q2. Does anyone know people who consistently succeeded to get tickets since Oct 2021 and haven’t been able to get a ticket for the Villa game ?

Maybe it’s the circles I move in but I don’t know anyone in group 1 and I know loads of people in group 2 

If it was a switch in process to make it fairer to access tickets, there should be loads of happy people in group 1 to balance out the loads of pissed off people in group 2 

Edited by bobbydazzla

12 minutes ago, bobbydazzla said:

Straw poll…..

Q1. Does anyone know people who consistently failed to get tickets since Oct 2021 and have now been able to get a ticket for Villa in the ballot ?

Q2. Does anyone know people who consistently succeeded to get tickets since Oct 2021 and haven’t been able to get a ticket for the Villa game ?

Maybe it’s the circles I move in but I don’t know anyone in group 1 and I know loads of people in group 2 

If it was a switch in process to make it fairer to access tickets, there should be loads of happy people in group 1 to balance out the loads of pissed off people in group 2 

Same here, plenty in group 2, nobody in 1

19 minutes ago, bobbydazzla said:

Straw poll…..

Good poll.

I know only of Group 2 so far. I know of one lad who has bought a membership this season who didn’t last year. But I don’t think he’s been successful in the ballot.

I think the queue did sort of make it a case of people who really wanted a ticket got one. I know some people just couldn’t be around at a certain time for whatever reason but other people will have made the effort to do it, like queuing up outside in the old days. It’s no effort now so very easy to just apply and see what happens even if not that arsed.

Fwiw I don't watch all his content but the video I enjoyed the most from Tyneside Life, really enjoyed btw, was him interviewing "foriegn" supporters over for a game. 

Felt very proud for my club and city. 

Also follow loads of yanks, the Sofia Mags etc etc on twatter. 

The more the merrier. Apart from the business aspect it's heartwarming. 

As I alluded in a previous post this "legacy fans" labelling and expectation on their behalf for superior treatment is IMHO one-upmanship & I don't think the club are going to buy into it. 

Unless we build a 70k plus stadium and have huge areas allocated for every single demographic this is the future guys, unfortunately 

Edited by Groundhog63

6 minutes ago, Bellis80 said:

I think the queue did sort of make it a case of people who really wanted a ticket got one. I know some people just couldn’t be around at a certain time for whatever reason but other people will have made the effort to do it, like queuing up outside in the old days. It’s no effort now so very easy to just apply and see what happens even if not that arsed.

That’s a good point. Previous system benefited people with an attitude of “I really want a ticket, so I’ll figure out a way to do it” 

Even if you couldn’t get online at 10am as long someone you knew could, you just linked your account to them and sorted the ticket. I did that on behalf of friends. 

The new system will be much more suited to people who think that going to the football could be interesting, I’ll chuck an entry into the ballot and see what happens.

Edited by bobbydazzla

29 minutes ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

That there was no priority? What is that based on? 

I think (although it was never officially confirmed) that there was decreasing numbers of tickets available as you went down each pot.

So if you were in the first pot that was balloted (can’t remember which one it was) you were statistically pretty unlucky not to get one. But if you were in pot 7 and did get one, you were, statistically, very, very lucky to get one.

1 hour ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

That there was no priority? What is that based on? 

Instead of being drawn separately, they did a single ballot with everybody finding out if they had one or not at the same time (just like last night). Nobody in Pot 4 had one before anybody else. People were misled into thinking it would not be like that because of the staggered entry to the ballot- but it turns out it was the same ballot. I have not heard one single convincing argument otherwise (despite the weird amount of people on here trying to convince me otherwise for one reason or another.)

Edited by Hovagod

8 minutes ago, Groundhog63 said:

As I alluded in a previous post this "legacy fans" labelling and expectation on their behalf for superior treatment is IMHO one-upmanship & I don't think the club are going to buy into it

I don't see anyone expecting "superior treatment" at all, more just some recognition of loyalty to the club 🤷‍♂️

Where does it end, remove season ticket renewals and make everyone apply each season?

11 minutes ago, Groundhog63 said:

Fwiw I don't watch all his content but the video I enjoyed the most from Tyneside Life, really enjoyed btw, was him interviewing "foriegn" supporters over for a game. 

Felt very proud for my club and city. 

Also follow loads of yanks, the Sofia Mags etc etc on twatter. 

The more the merrier. Apart from the business aspect it's heartwarming. 

As I alluded in a previous post this "legacy fans" labelling and expectation on their behalf for superior treatment is IMHO one-upmanship & I don't think the club are going to buy into it. 

Unless we build a 70k plus stadium and have huge areas allocated for every single demographic this is the future guys, unfortunately 

Aye, I would mostly agree. Ideally you want a route for younger fans from the local area to get tickets. Beyond that I don’t mind whoever coming to get tickets as long as they help to make the atmosphere great. There appears to be a whinging entitlement to our legacy season ticket holders…certain areas of the ground who basically go to sit and moan all match. No wonder the atmosphere at the cup final was reportedly wank. Was the same when I had my season ticket in the noughties.

7 minutes ago, patrone said:

I don't see anyone expecting "superior treatment" at all, more just some recognition of loyalty to the club 🤷‍♂️

Where does it end, remove season ticket renewals and make everyone apply each season?

Remove season tickets and ballot every seat every game

That’s the only fair way

If loyalty doesn’t count for previous members who may have been buying tickets regularly for years then why should it count for season ticket holders 

Clearly I don’t think that’s a good idea, but it illustrates that the principle is exactly the same as what’s happened to a large group of fans this week 

Edited by bobbydazzla

22 minutes ago, bobbydazzla said:

That’s a good point. Previous system benefited people with an attitude of “I really want a ticket, so I’ll figure out a way to do it” 

Even if you couldn’t get online at 10am as long someone you knew could, you just linked your account to them and sorted the ticket. I did that on behalf of friends. 

The new system will be much more suited to people who think that going to the football could be interesting, I’ll chuck an entry into the ballot and see what happens.

Yep, it's going to make the stadium a haven for day trippers.

It's all very well trying to entice new fans to witness the "SJP Experience", but that very experience was created by the very people who might now be locked out.

In a football stadium you need a base level of fans you can rely on in every game to help get the team through sticky patches. Again, this new system might just have removed that base level.

I don't know why they couldn't just keep the que system and then also introduce a ballot alongside it. Split the available seat allocation in half, and then distribute each half via the two systems.

I'm morbidly curious to see what the atmosphere is going to be like next Saturday.

21 minutes ago, patrone said:

So a recognition that leads to superior treatment, no? As I said. 

Season tickets are a whole different ball game to Memberships. The only thing that might impact those holders is being binned off for corporate or, eventually, priced out. 

1 minute ago, Groundhog63 said:

So a recognition that leads to superior treatment, no? As I said. 

Season tickets are a whole different ball game to Memberships. The only thing that might impact those holders is being binned off for corporate or, eventually, priced out. 

So what's the point of membership in that case?

Is the whole concept of membership to gain some kind of benefit over a non member 🤷‍♂️

5 minutes ago, patrone said:

So what's the point of membership in that case?

Is the whole concept of membership to gain some kind of benefit over a non member 🤷‍♂️

The benefit over a non member is being able to apply for a ballot ticket for a match prior to general release.