James Maddison (now playing for Tottenham Hotspur)

The Prophet

4 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

They've recent history of doing so with this squad.

But they have largely stagnated, while others around them have improved. Don't get me wrong, I think they will be back in top half this season with no European football to deal with, but I think the days of them pushing for top 4 are done. 

1 minute ago, The College Dropout said:

At £30m next season, a top 6 club would pay him good money to be a squad player.

This is our chance. But we'll have to pay market rate.

I think the club realise this too and we'll just do it in the end mind.

1 minute ago, Fantail Breeze said:

Said it countless times but you can only play ‘hard ball’ when the ball is in your court, trying to buy quality like Maddison it will never be in your court.

Would be ridiculous if we don’t sign him for the sake of £10m.

Especially when that part of the payment will be years away.

2 minutes ago, tomlynnherrington said:

You and Southgate clearly don’t rate him as highly as I do.?

Or the managers of those other teams, as none are buying him. ? (For what it’s worth, I rate him highly, but can’t see him getting in those teams compared to ours).

Edited by Manxst

4 minutes ago, The Prophet said:

We don't know if we'll need to pay "the going rate" though. There's obviously a reason that we've gone in at the value we have.

Im not saying we are doing it wrong, but we could also be doing it wrong. We have good people in place but it doesn’t mean that everything we do is the absolute right way. By the sounds of it from some it seems we can do no wrong . I’m just talking in general here. Not aimed directly at you mate. 

Edited by Ikon

1 minute ago, Optimistic Nut said:

Southgate picks the likes of Dier, Rashford up until recently, Grealish last season when he wasn't first choice. If they're at an elite club, as long as they're getting games they'll be picked.

For their ability to play multiple positions, plus the relative lack of other options in those positions? We’ve plenty of attacking midfield players.

11 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

2022: 8th

2021: 5th

2020: 5th

If they finish somewhere in-between = Europe.

First choice CB's injured for most of the season. As did a first choice fullback. Vardy scored loads but missed 13 league games. If they all stay fit or at least considerably more fit and maintain form and don't sell key players. You would expect a top 7 finish. Maddison, Vardy & Barnes is as good as it gets outside the top 6 alone. Fofana, Evans, Tielemans. It's a good team.

As it stands they have Ayoze Perez as dead wood. We'll be starting Miguel Almiron at the weekend. Their squad is a level above ours.

We are in an upward trajectory though. And Leicester might lose one of their best players to us. Seemingly their cycle is over and they need a rebuild.

They have a much better squad but they seem to have already hit their ceiling with it. I'm not saying Howe is a better manager than Rodgers, but it's pretty clear he has our squad heading in the right direction. I don't think there's much to indicate the same is happening at Leicester.

Leicester will likely be fine tbh. Like someone said, top 4 challenges will be beyond them but once you get below West Ham, there's not many clubs you'd think other than maybe Villa and Everton once they finally sort themselves out, that will overtake them long term.

Edited by Optimistic Nut

38 minutes ago, Hanshithispantz said:

What are are Leicester short term? They aren't in Europe and every indication is they need a rebuild or they're going backwards.

I suppose we need to define what we consider short-term :lol: . This season they’ll probably finish higher than us, they’ll have far better facilities for a while and also have European aspirations despite their poor window. In 2 seasons+ , yeah I completely agree we’ll (theoretically) be in a better place. 

There’s no denying that with the backing of PIF we have the potential, but for the coming season and even maybe the one after we’re not immediately the better option.

13 minutes ago, sushimonster85 said:

But they have largely stagnated, while others around them have improved. Don't get me wrong, I think they will be back in top half this season with no European football to deal with, but I think the days of them pushing for top 4 are done. 

They had 1 bad season which coincided with a lot of injuries. Daniel Amartey played A LOT at CB.

CL maybe not. But 7th with no European football this season? With all the injuries and Europe they still managed 8th.

Point being. Leicester have a good squad. Better than ours. I wouldn't expect to finish above them as things stand. Moving to us at the moment is a sideways move regarding 22/23. JM would be betting that we get stronger (which we will) and Leicester get weaker (which is possible) in the medium and long-term.

Edited by The College Dropout

2 minutes ago, Optimistic Nut said:

Leicester will likely be fine tbh. Like someone said, top 4 challenges will be beyond them but once you get below West Ham and Everton (once they eventually get their house in order), there's not many clubs you'd think other than maybe Villa, that will overtake them long term.

They've fallen a tier. Couple of poor signings and the fall another, especially with their financial restraints 

1 minute ago, The College Dropout said:

They had 1 bad season which coincided with a lot of injuries. Daniel Amartey played A LOT at CB.

CL maybe not. But 7th with no European football this season? With all the injuries and Europe they still managed 8th.

Point being. Leicester have a good squad. Better than ours. I wouldn't expect to finish above them as things stand. Moving to us at the moment is a sideways move regarding 22/23. JM would be betting that we get stronger (which we will) and Leicester get weaker (which is possible).

Perfectly put

7 minutes ago, Hanshithispantz said:

They have a much better squad but they seem to have already hit their ceiling with it. I'm not saying Howe is a better manager than Rodgers, but it's pretty clear he has our squad heading in the right direction. I don't think there's much to indicate the same is happening at Leicester.

Aye so in the short-term we aren't an improvement. Our aspirations are similar or less big in the upcoming season. That was my point many people disagreed with. There are no footballing reasons to join Newcastle United from Leicester in the short-term e.g. 22/23. Most NUFC fans would consider finishing 8th a relative success. Leicester would consider that a regression.

Edited by The College Dropout

4 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

Point being. Leicester have a good squad. Better than ours. I wouldn't expect to finish above them as things stand. Moving to us at the moment is a sideways move regarding 22/23. JM would be betting that we get stronger (which we will) and Leicester get weaker (which is possible) in the medium and long-term.

We were without Wilson and Trippier for a long while and gave them a head start yet still finished only 3 points behind them ?All teams have injuries

10 minutes ago, sushimonster85 said:

Google some Woodrow Wilson. Guy was messed up!

Ah! Ok. Thanks. Maybe we need to sign Abraham and someone from Lincoln if I am going to roll with this setting a ‘president’ joke. 

Edited by Coffee_Johnny

I was actually getting carried away thinking this will happen. I was thinking we’ve bid £50m which isn’t too far away from their reported valuation of £60m and it also blows the talk of a remaining £40m budget out the water but now it seems that the 2nd bid is only £40m I just can’t see it happening. Leicester wouldn’t get as good a replacement for £40m and I don’t see us bidding much more than £40m 

13 minutes ago, Ikon said:

Im not saying we are doing it wrong, but we could also be doing it wrong. We have good people in place but it doesn’t mean that everything we do is the absolute right way. By the sounds of it from some it seems we can do no wrong . I’m just talking in general here. Not aimed directly at you mate. 

My post wasn't aimed directly at you either.

I don't know if what they're doing is right or wrong, but January suggests they largely get it right. They deserve the benefit of the doubt.

9 minutes ago, gdm said:

I was actually getting carried away thinking this will happen. I was thinking we’ve bid £50m which isn’t too far away from their reported valuation of £60m and it also blows the talk of a remaining £40m budget out the water but now it seems that the 2nd bid is only £40m I just can’t see it happening. Leicester wouldn’t get as good a replacement for £40m and I don’t see us bidding much more than £40m 

For whatever reason £40m does seem to be the magic number we are unwilling to go past for a single player in this window. 

22 minutes ago, Ikon said:

This is my perspective. Except I think it's likely we are doing it wrong based on what happened with Diaby and Harrison.