James Maddison (now playing for Tottenham Hotspur)

The Prophet

5 minutes ago, sushimonster85 said:

I wouldn't say a waste of time. If you think a deal can be done at £50m, but don't want to go quite so high its always worth entering into negotiations to see if there is a middle ground to be found. Especially with Leicester. Lots of potentially interesting quirks to a deal. Their need for a GK, which we have spare. The supposed £8m left of the Perez payments.

I'm pretty sure them owing £8m on Perez came from that Casey clown on twitter. I haven't seen anyone reputable report it although happy to be corrected.

If Leicester's asking price is £60m as widely reported. You would assume £50m plus add ons would be the bare minimum they'd take.

Also, they are traditionally tough sellers. They made Mahrez wait 6 months and got top dollar for him, Maguire and Drinkwater.

Edited by PlymouthGeordie

Just now, Fantail Breeze said:

Ridiculous if we don’t pay that £50m. That is arguably great value. If we sign Maddison and can only bring a striker on loan, it’s still fantastic.

You'd just sign Maddison and Cornet, then not bother with a striker wouldn't you?

I've seen a few people saying £45/£50m plus Dubs and it'll be done but what value do you put on Dubs? He's proven himself to be a good Premier League goalkeeper for us and if we value the deal at around £50m then we're giving them Dubs for next to nothing. :lol: I'd value him at about £10-£15m. If he's on the deal then £40m is the absolute max I'd be given them in terms of money. 

5 minutes ago, ponsaelius said:

Would probably value Dubravka at about 5 million based on his recent injuries and age.

There's other factors though. Leicester are one of our direct rivals for league position and we could be giving them a goalkeeper that might be their number 1 all season. That's of huge value to them. Plus it weakens our squad for that position because if anything happens to Pope we've got Darlow starting. 

Edited by Decky

4 minutes ago, relámpago blanco said:

People just need to calm down like. 

Every other post is making me cringe so much man :lol:

The fucking tantrums being thrown. I can't believe so many are actually entitled spoilt brats already. It's actually incredible :lol:

2 minutes ago, relámpago blanco said:

He's in his prime for a keeper. Could have 7 or 8 years left. 

He’s 34 in 6 months. 7 or 8 years is a stretch, half that and then maybe.

5 minutes ago, mighty__mag said:

You'd just sign Maddison and Cornet, then not bother with a striker wouldn't you?

To be honest I’d be happy with Maddison and a striker on loan. Maddison’s ability to score & assist makes the right wing less of a priority and Almiron might be fine there this season 

Just now, KaKa said:

Every other post is making me cringe so much man :lol:

The fucking tantrums being thrown. I can't believe so many are actually entitled spoilt brats already. It's actually incredible :lol:

I don’t think people are of the opinion we have a divine right for JM.  

People want the club to make bids selling clubs might actually accept. We are getting rumours - again - that we are bidding for players far below what would interest the selling club.  Getting fans excited but not actually close to making a deal.  

N-O prior to the transfer window: ‘We need to be sensible with how we approach things, not just go on like Everton and balls it all up’

N-O during transfer window: ‘JUST PAY THE FUCKING MONEY’

2 minutes ago, relámpago blanco said:

He's in his prime for a keeper. Could have 7 or 8 years left. 

Honestly I don't think this is anywhere near as true as people make out about 'keepers. 8 years left would put him at 41-42 when he retires. That's fanciful in the extreme and only handful of world class goalies have lasted that long.

Keepers can last longer and often do - but they can and do just as easily decline physically particularly with injuries in the same way outfield players do. The keepers that last into their late 30s usually only do so in becoming reserves or 3rd choice.

Dubravka has had injuries and probably has 2-3 years of top football left. Considering what we paid for Pope I think 5 million would be a fair price.

1 minute ago, SteV said:

N-O prior to the transfer window: ‘We need to be sensible with how we approach things, not just go on like Everton and balls it all up’

It’s absolutely nothing like that 

1 minute ago, SteV said:

I’d happily take Cornet £17.5m.  

But if we are serious about JM - I hope we make a serious £50m+ bid soon. 

3 minutes ago, relámpago blanco said:

Ben Foster was first choice in the prem at 39 last season. 

For a bottom 6 side that got relegated with ease in the end, keepers starting in the PL at that sort of age isn’t the rule.

Also factor in Dubs fitness record and it’s not looking likely.

Edited by Nine

1 minute ago, ponsaelius said:

Honestly I don't think this is anywhere near as true as people make out about 'keepers. 8 years left would put him at 41-42 when he retires. That's fanciful in the extreme and only handful of world class goalies have lasted that long.

Keepers can last longer and often do - but they can and do just as easily decline physically particularly with injuries in the same way outfield players do. The keepers that last into their late 30s usually only do so in becoming reserves or 3rd choice.

Dubravka has had injuries and probably has 2-3 years of top football left. Considering what we paid for Pope I think 5 million would be a fair price.

Realistically £5m is a lot. Any fee over £1m would be good imo.  

1 minute ago, SteV said:

This is just hyperbole.

People aren't saying "just pay the money".

People are struggling to grasp why we're continually targeting players beyond our budget. We may well get Maddison but we can only go on the information available and Downie, Hope, Edwards etc have all indicated we won't go close to the asking price.

Just now, The College Dropout said:

I don’t think people are of the opinion we have a divine right for JM.  

People want the club to make bids selling clubs might actually accept. We are getting rumours - again - that we are bidding for players far below what would interest the selling club.  Getting fans excited but not actually close to making a deal.  

You guys stay telling the club how to bid for players. Based on what exactly should they listen to you lot?

They've managed to get in some top quality players so far. I'm sure they know what they're doing.

From what I see a number of you need to stop getting over excited and carried away when we're linked with a player you like, and just take a deep breath and calm down.

The club will ultimately get in the players they are happy with in all respects and that will be that. You lot swear you have all the answers about who should be signed and for what price and it's really cringe worthy.

6 minutes ago, relámpago blanco said:

Ben Foster was first choice in the prem at 39 last season. 

Aye and he moved for £4.5 million at 29 and 2.5 million at 35. And had rather flawless appearance record.

You're not going to be getting much more than those kind of fees for an average PL goalie in their 30s.