James Maddison (now playing for Tottenham Hotspur)

The Prophet

Just now, The Prophet said:

If that's correct, can't see anyone getting near £70 million for Fofana.

No chance, also interesting that the noises around Fofana are that he isn’t for sale, we haven’t heard anything like that regarding Maddison, despite the bid being made public. 

8 minutes ago, WillingtonMag said:

Ridiculous suggesting not signing a  proven premierleague player because of him at this stage.

Anderson also doesn't need that sort of pressure on him at this stage. He needs be introduced in a gradual manner, similar to how Man city and liverpool introduce their youngsters to the first team.

15 minutes ago, pubteam said:

Anderson also doesn't need that sort of pressure on him at this stage. He needs be introduced in a gradual manner, similar to how Man city and liverpool introduce their youngsters to the first team.

Aye look at Man City with Foden even when it was clear he was good enough still eased him in.

We’ve always wanted to throw our youngsters in at the deep end for no apparent reason.

People were clambering for Sørensen to be starting in the PL not that long ago - he’s now plying his trade in the Danish league.

Anderson has had half a season in League Two ffs. Give him a full season in the Championship and we’ll see where he’s at.

Madness that anyone would even suggest not making a signing because of him.

Edited by Fantail Breeze

Guest HTT II
33 minutes ago, pubteam said:

Their youngsters had genuine top/world-class players ahead of them, we don’t. Just throw him in and see how it develops, sometimes we need to be brave and actually give someone a chance. He may make the cut or may not, only one way of finding out…

1 minute ago, HTT II said:

Their youngsters had genuine top/world-class players ahead of them, we don’t. Just throw him in and see how it develops, sometimes we need to be brave and actually give someone a chance. He may make the cut or may not, only one way of finding out…

I mean, your argument is not bringing in genuine top/world class players because Anderson might develop into one. It's pure madness.

Absolutely nuts to say ‘just throw him in and see’, perfect way to destroy this lads future before he’s had a real chance to develop into the player he could potentially become. 

You wouldn’t just chuck your kid in at the deep end of the pool when they’ve just learned to swim at the shallow end would you?

I think a huge amount of a young players development is about confidence, also learning from players around them. We have a world class defensive midfielder in Bruno, I think we are desperate for a world class attacking midfielder. Look how much Bruno lifted the players around him last season.

Guest HTT II

I’m not advocating playing him every game FFS. Where do we draw the line at when and where to develop our better young talent? Just keep sending them out on loan in the hope they turn into Messi the second? We have to give them a chance sometime.

Love us to show the ambition and make this happen. We'd be immense in midfield, said it yesterday but can't stress enough how good him and Bruno would be together with Joelinton continuing to do so much good off the ball work 

I can see the logic, and hope, in it. Looking to the past, sometimes often a needs-must,  our youngsters have been left in to develop and perhaps become better players that they would have otherwise. But then again perhaps not. I am thinking of Lee Clark, Steve Howey, Steve Watson, Alan Thompson (I think without the car accident he may have been the pick of the bunch), Robbie Elliot, Shola Appleobi. 

9 minutes ago, HTT II said:

I’d rather we gave Anderson a chance than spend 40-60m on Maddison.

A lad who has had a good half season in League 2 over a player who had 12 goals and 8 assists in the PL last season and has proven pedigree? Really?

Guest HTT II
7 minutes ago, HaydnNUFC said:

A lad who has had a good half season in League 2 over a player who had 12 goals and 8 assists in the PL last season and has proven pedigree? Really?

Aye because I don’t see a massive need for him in terms of the type of player he is/role/position in the team. Keep Anderson and go top heavy on spending on a top striker or winger!

6 minutes ago, HTT II said:

Aye because I don’t see a massive need for him in terms of the type of player he is/role/position in the team. Keep Anderson and go top heavy on spending on a top striker or winger!

We're in massive need of some one who can add goals from open play he can do that with goals and assists he's exactly the type of player we need.

Guest HTT II
1 minute ago, WillingtonMag said:

We're in massive need of some one who can add goals from open play he can do that with goals and assists he's exactly the type of player we need.

I’d rather we got that from a wide position and up front, again I wouldn’t say no and who is to say Anderson if played can’t score and assist goals…

Edited by HTT II

3 minutes ago, HTT II said:

I’d rather we got that from a wide position and up front, again I wouldn’t say no and who is to say Anderson if played can’t score and assist goals…

We might get all 3 who knows, I'd be very excited if we get Maddison though. Also looking forward to seeing Anderson this year who would benefit from some one like Maddison to learn from.

9 minutes ago, HTT II said:

I personally think we're getting too hung up on positions. Don't get me wrong, a winger would benefit us no end in terms of balance, but the bottom line is that the team lacks goals. Maddison provided 20 direct goal contributions last season.

We basically need to get ourselves in a position where the goals don't totally dry up when Wilson is injured. A direct back up and a winger will obviously help, but so would a player of Maddison's quality, whether he plays out wide or in a midfield three.