James Maddison (now playing for Tottenham Hotspur)

The Prophet

1 hour ago, pubteam said:

Anderson also doesn't need that sort of pressure on him at this stage. He needs be introduced in a gradual manner, similar to how Man city and liverpool introduce their youngsters to the first team.

How have Man City and Liverpool introduced their youngsters to the first team? The only current players I can think of is TAA, Curtis Jones, Harvey Elliot & Phil Foden.

TAA had already played 12 first team appearances and been an unused sub on Liverpools bench 16 times at the point where Anderson is now. The following season (the equivalent season Anderson is about to start now) he played in 33 matches and was unused sub in 18. Never been loaned out.

The equivalent season Elliot is about to start now, Jones had already played in 10 first team matches, and went on to feature in 34 first team games. Has never been loaned out.

Harvey Elliot is 1 year younger than Anderson, and was loaned out to Blackburn two seasons ago, made 11 first team appearances for Liverpool last season and looks like he will be more involved this season.

Foden at the point where Anderson is now had already featured in 10 and 26 matches respectively in the two previous seasons. The following season (the equivalent season Anderson is about to start now) he played in 38 games.

I don't see the problem in giving Anderson a chance to feature fairly regularly in the first team based on his loan spell last season and pre-season performances now. I don't see, especially with the support team around him, how that is putting too much pressure on him. 

Edited by Conjo

2 minutes ago, Fantail Breeze said:

:lol: One of the worst posts I’ve seen on here and that’s pretty impressive with the likes of @LVand @STMaround.

Why you picking me out? I like to think most of my posts are fairly reasonable.

It doesn't surprise me at all that you are taking cheap shots though. I won't stoop to your level.

2 minutes ago, Conjo said:

How have Man City and Liverpool introduced their youngsters to the first team? The only current players I can think of is TAA, Curtis Jones, Harvey Elliot & Phil Foden.

TAA had already played 12 first team appearances and been an unused sub on Liverpools bench 16 times at the point where Anderson is now. The following season (the equivalent season Anderson is about to start now) he played in 33 matches and was unused sub in 18.

The season equivalent season Elliot is about to start now, Jones had already played in 10 first team matches, and went on to feature in 34 first team games. Has never been loaned out.

Harvey Elliot is 1 year younger than Anderson, and was loaned out to Blackburn two seasons ago, made 11 first team appearances for Liverpool last season and looks like he will be more involved this season.

Foden at the point where Anderson is now had already featured in 10 and 26 matches respectively in the two previous seasons. The following season (the equivalent season Anderson is about to start now) he played in 38 games.

I don't see the problem in giving Anderson a chance to feature fairly regularly in the first team based on his loan spell last season and pre-season performances now. I don't see, especially with the support team around him, how that is putting too much pressure on him. 

You do make a good point, but I think  the coaching team obviously have doubts that he is ready for a more regular position in the first team or they wouldn't be trying to sign a player like Maddison. I think he'd be much better suited to being an impact sub until he develops further. He's obviously very talented, we need to move away from risk taking if we we want to improve. Man city and liverpool always had other players to fall back on if it didn't work, we don't.

Guest HTT II
13 minutes ago, Fantail Breeze said:

:lol: One of the worst posts I’ve seen on here and that’s pretty impressive with the likes of @LVand @STMaround.

I’ll take that as a compliment [emoji38]

Guest HTT II
Just now, Ikon said:

Surely no need for this. 

Aye having a go at ME, FUCKING ME, FFS. The other two…

3 minutes ago, pubteam said:

You do make a good point, but I think  the coaching team obviously have doubts that he is ready for a more regular position in the first team or they wouldn't be trying to sign a player like Maddison. I think he'd be much better suited to being an impact sub until he develops further. He's obviously very talented, we need to move away from risk taking if we we want to improve. Man city and liverpool always had other players to fall back on if it didn't work, we don't.

There's always a risk that youth talents don't develop into good players, but I'd rather find out now than later if he has what it takes. If he does, we've got a home grown talent that can continue to grow with the club. If he doesn't then it should be fairly easy to move him on next summer.

Assuming he will be played in the midfield 3 like he has this pre-season, we do have other players to that are ahead of him in Joelinton, Bruno, Shelvey, Willock & Longstaff. He'd be an excellent option to have on the bench and start in cup games or cover for squad rotations/injuries. Bonus that he is able to play as a winger as well, although I'm not sure he has the pace to be really effective in that postion in the PL, similarly to Maddison.

Just now, Geordie Ahmed said:

I'd be shocked if we managed to complete this signing but this would be one hell of a coup if we did 

Even the Mackems couldn't find fault with this 

In their deluded minds, believe me they could.

38 minutes ago, Fantail Breeze said:

Why so angry all the time Fanoir?

6 minutes ago, Geordie Ahmed said:

I'd be shocked if we managed to complete this signing but this would be one hell of a coup if we did 

Even the Mackems couldn't find fault with this 

Sportwashed.

I'd love Maddison, he'd be a fantastic signing. But he's not in a position that I think we should prioritise right now. He's not a striker or an out and out winger and I think we need to fill those positions first.

Clearly if we fill those positions as well, and sign Maddison, I'd be insanely happy.

2 minutes ago, Hanshithispantz said:

Same with @LV seems a decent lad :lol:

Thanks Hans. :rose: Same to you. 

He’s a bit of an odd one isn’t he. Just wants to argue all the time and doesn’t like it when he’s challenged. 

It's interesting, as I think we need to strengthen our RW and striker options first, but arguably signing someone like Maddison, will give us greater creativity in the way the team is structured, so can see why they'd go for him if he's available. It could arguably have a greater output in terms of assists and goals then if we where to get a top quality winger.

STM has been around since 2005 on here and LV since 2011. They have over 32,000 posts between them. Given their respective contributions to this forum - including, I might add - making this place what it is today, anyone calling them out is out of order.