James Maddison (now playing for Tottenham Hotspur)

The Prophet

Just now, Rich said:

Hope saying he hopes Wilson tweaks his hamstring against Forest because he thinks we should be spending £40-50M on a striker if that’s all that’s left. Dear me.

Aye that was a load of shite. There is fuck all point spending £40m on a striker to sit on the bench until Wilson gets injured. 

Hope actually talked alot of sense. Said that Maddison doesn't fit our formation so either we change formation or play him RW, which isn't his best position.

He also said it would effectively rule out us signing a striker, although I suspect he was second guessing about that.

3 minutes ago, jack j said:

So we've got 40 million left to spend and that's the max because of FFP

Is that what was said?

How does that work?

Yeah, it did sound like he doesn't understand how financial fair play works.

Hes come across a right bellend the last couple of months has Hope

Not saying hes right or wrong on this before the usual suspects dive in saying am saying this cos its negative news

If 40m is our budget then it seems highly unlikely we would have bid for Maddison like.

Not because it would blow it. But because it's obviously a waste of time. And in spite of what a few in this thread are praying for, we're not just wasting our time putting in pointless bids [emoji38]

I don't mind Hope, he's a decent journo, but he's clearly working off the breif that there's only £40 million left in the coffers. Whether that's true remains to be seen, but given a majority of sources believe our last bid was in excess of £45 million, I'm skeptical. Whether we submit a third offer will be telling.

Just now, Hanshithispantz said:

If 40m is our budget then it seems highly unlikely we would have bid for Maddison like.

Not because it would blow it. But because it's obviously a waste of time. And in spite of what a few in this thread are praying for, we're not just wasting our time putting in pointless bids [emoji38]

Yeah something doesn't add up.

Fog of war and all that.

2 minutes ago, STM said:

Hope actually talked alot of sense. Said that Maddison doesn't fit our formation so either we change formation or play him RW, which isn't his best position.

Whilst I kinda agree, what would that say about our manager and recruitment team that they're spaffing money against the wall on players we don't need.

Seems mental[emoji38]

Guest HTT II

Side story about Hope, he used to write for Howaythetoon.com which used to be the main site to this forum basically, he was always a good writer, very knowledgable and always wanted to be a sports journalist which I think he went to uni or college for. Massive Toon fan. One day he email’s me saying he’s got a job interview with the Chronicle and said could I give him a reference, which I did, they then called me and I sold the fuck out of that shit for him and he only ended up getting a job with them. Then, in a small world, he ended up working for NUFC and him and my now bro-in-law ended up working together for a period and are good pals I believe. He’s one of the best out there and unlike that bald cunt, he would never ever fabricate shit about his beloved NUFC for a story, he has 100% integrity, but I highly doubt he has any real inside track on transfers at NUFC nor anyone else for that matter. 

Just now, The Prophet said:

I don't mind Hope, he's a decent journo, but he's clearly working off the breif that there's only £40 million left in the coffers. Whether that's true remains to be seen, but given a majority of sources believe our last bid was in excess of £45 million, I'm skeptical. Whether we submit a third offer will be telling.

Especially since we supposedly bid again for Harrison the other day and we're sounding out Werner and Cornet.

We've either got more than 40m or we have a scatter gun approach to our bids.

Guest HTT II

Oh and I’m 100% positive he’s still on here as a member and even posts, if you’re reading mate, you’ve done well for yourself and keep it up :thup:

1 minute ago, Rich said:

This FFP stuff is surely just them trying to do the club a favour at this stage? It’s absolute nonsense that we could only have £40M *in instalments* to spend.

I keep thinking this but then I just wonder why it seems we can’t seem to bid more than £40m for a player and how we’ve been reportedly walked away from deal after deal cos it’s over £40m 

I think ideally we want a winger/attacking midfielder for £30m-£40m then get a striker on loan 

15 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

@KaKa would build our squad from a core of cheaper foreign imports. Unless we go for A1 talent, that is overly risky imo.

Cheaper doesn't mean less talented when it comes to foreign imports.

For example the two players I mentioned when Maddison was being discussed were Aouar and Brandt. All you have to do is look at the kinds of clubs that have been linked to both. Liverpool came very close to signing Brandt at one point, and Arsenal the same for Aouar. These are talents on a similar level to Maddison. Now adjusting to a new league will have to be taken into account, obviously. 

Signing from the Prem is incredibly expensive business, and you have to accept getting ripped off to some extent. Unless you get the timing right. That's why I mentioned Tielemans previously, unfortunately he doesn't seem to be interested.

2 minutes ago, NE27 said:

Whilst I kinda agree, what would that say about our manager and recruitment team that they're spaffing money against the wall on players we don't need.

Seems mental[emoji38]

Yeah that's why I think we aren't getting all the information. I think it's Maddison plus a wide player/forward or Maddison was considered an exception that they couldn't pass by.

4 minutes ago, Hanshithispantz said:

Well see, but if we dont reach the 50 mark it looks like we have been pointless bidders.

5 minutes ago, The Prophet said:

Do they? A few of them backtracked 

2 minutes ago, gdm said:

I keep thinking this but then I just wonder why it seems we can’t seem to bid more than £40m for a player and how we’ve been reportedly walked away from deal after deal cos it’s over £40m 

I think ideally we want a winger/attacking midfielder for £30m-£40m then get a striker on loan 

I refer to my previous posts on this thread on seeing transfers over 40m lacking in value for where we are at.

Man City spent quite a while signing numerous 30m transfers if I remember correctly, then it went a bit silly.

Fwiw, we should pay for Maddison but devil's advocate.