James Maddison (now playing for Tottenham Hotspur)

The Prophet

Devils advocate 

i hear everyone saying next summer we can go big as we have better sponsors/ etc etc 

We then go in for 60/70 million players and teams ask us to pay 80/90 million 

same scenario. / Same FFP 

Sometimes you have to have to bite the bullet.

I hear a lot of people saying Maddison isn’t worth 50/60 million …what happens if he flops 

the same can be said in reverse

whst happens if he’s an outstanding success and pushes us into Europe and in turn helps us attract better players 

top targets - are top targets for a reason 

we don’t always have to go above our valuation if we have two or three cards up our sleeves with players with similar credentials and potentially lower fees

however sometimes it might be worth having that player in the team than worrying about the next window or ffp 

A lot of big players have the chance to shine at the World Cup and their valuations will sky rocket 

Edited by JonBez comesock

3 hours ago, KaKa said:

How about we at least give them till the end of the window? Think they've at least earned that right? Why do they have to operate to your timeline?

We at least know they've targeted and gone for some really good players in those areas. They will settle on the ones that work best for what they are trying to achieve eventually. At that point we can all then discuss the merits of the signings.

To quote Edwards "I don’t think they’ve got it right so far and time is ticking. Still lots of time left but as things stand, if Wilson and ASM are injured at same time, they’re screwed! It’s a concern that is growing". This is my perspective. It's not my own timeline - for it to 2/8 and not have anyone in your 2 priority positions is not getting it right thus far by any metric.

If they sign Maddison and Werner on 31/8 I would say "great business. Left it late but got A* players in. It looked dicey for awhile but they delivered". That's *IF*. At 2/8 - things look dicey.

2 minutes ago, Fantail Breeze said:

:lol: I disappeared for a few hours because I have a life. Why on Earth would I apologise for suggesting you’re a tit when you continue to act like one?

The rest of your post adds nothing to the conversation, Bruno was good value - but we’ll see how he develops to see if that remains the case. Wood was terrible value, we’ve had some wins and some losses there.

Doesn’t take away from the fact that Maddison would be cracking value at the cost it’s expected to take.

Except, the forum made it clear who they think is a "tit" didn't they? Gutted for you. 

Wonder if we'll try a third bid or not. If we don't end up getting him I fear anyone else we get will feel distinctly underwhelming by comparison even if they're actually a good signing.

Just now, STM said:

Except, the forum made it clear who they think is a "tit" didn't they? Gutted for you. 

Oh no. Three or four people on the internet like you more than me. Devastated.

You carry on fella :lol: Showing yourself up something rotten here.

8 minutes ago, Fantail Breeze said:

So the post made perfect sense apart from the different conversation you were having with yourself?

Strong opinion to suggest Bruno is better than Maddison based on his incredibly small sample size. Mo Diame looked like a £50m player for six months once too. Not saying Bruno will flop but trying to suggest he is better than Maddison is ludicrous.

It’s funny how suddenly we can find this great value in the market but the total opposite was the case when people were suggesting Wood at £25m was absolutely essential because there was no value to be had.

I’ve said it many times but will repeat it again once just for you, £50m-£60m for Maddison is good value.

Think at the time most of us were disappointed with the deal. However, it was somewhat understandable due to having no striker available, and also recognising that the club was looking to add a Premier league experienced striker because of the fact that we were in a relegation scrap and needed someone to slot in right away and be up to speed with the league.

We could have easily got a far more interesting player from abroad for that amount in January IMO, but the circumstances weren't ideal for that. Things are completely different this summer though, as we don't necessarily need someone that is fully adapted to the Premier League straight away.

5 minutes ago, Pilko said:

Wonder if we'll try a third bid or not. If we don't end up getting him I fear anyone else we get will feel distinctly underwhelming by comparison even if they're actually a good signing.

Unless he's from Brazil and his last name starts with P. :laugh2:

46 minutes ago, Geordinho said:

Looks like Fofana is pushing more and more for his move to Chelsea, which may mean this is a non starter for us without going all the way to £60m.

100% - I understand the club trying to get the best deal but sometimes you've got to just pay the price.

Just now, KaKa said:

Think at the time most of us were disappointed with the deal. However, it was somewhat understandable due to having no striker available, and also recognising that the club was looking to add a Premier league experienced striker because of the fact that we were in a relegation scrap and needed someone to slot in right away and be up to speed with the league.

We could have easily got a far more interesting player from abroad for that amount in January IMO, but the circumstances weren't ideal for that. Things are completely different this summer though, as we don't necessarily need someone that is fully adapted to the Premier League straight away.

I don’t entirely disagree but my argument is that we do need someone fully adapted to the PL if we want to be as ambitious as possible.

Maddison, imo, would lift us from fighting for top half to European contention.

I suppose it depends on whether that is a priority for the owners or if they’re happy with a consolidation season. Being a supporter, obviously I want to strive for the best.

9 minutes ago, KaKa said:

Relax man :lol:

I think his point has some validity to it.

Personally, I think this kind of move is a bit early for us. Purely because nowadays when buying top players (English players especially), from clubs in that 5th to 10th range, you typically have to pay through the nose. I'll be very surprised and incredibly impressed if we manage a deal for Maddison or Barnes.

The realistic guy to currently poach of them is Tielemans really, but he's holding out for Arsenal I think, now if that move doesn't materialise, perhaps there's a chance we convince him to join us.

100%, we’d accept a decent bid on Tielemans. The issue is convincing him, I think he’s got his heart set on one of your traditional European elite. Even if that means waiting a year and maybe not even being a guaranteed starter. 

8 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

To quote Edwards "I don’t think they’ve got it right so far and time is ticking. Still lots of time left but as things stand, if Wilson and ASM are injured at same time, they’re screwed! It’s a concern that is growing". This is my perspective. It's not my own timeline - for it to 2/8 and not have anyone in your 2 priority positions is not getting it right thus far by any metric.

If they sign Maddison and Werner on 31/8 I would say "great business. Left it late but got A* players in. It looked dicey for awhile but they delivered". That's *IF*. At 2/8 - things look dicey.

Okay, I think that's fair. I think come the end of the window we'll all be happy. For whatever reason, they've deemed it worthwhile waiting this long to address those positions, so hopefully we end up with some really good players in those spots.

12 minutes ago, Foxedup said:

Ha… no, it really isn’t.

If you want to be a big club and take a Premier league clubs best players, you pay like a big club.

Nah, we pay what we think he's worth to us and then move on if not. It's a buyer's market, especially in the European leagues which struggled more than the PL.

So far, there hasn't been a queue forming from the big clubs either. And that's not meant to be a dig at all, he's a really good player, and most fans here see Leicester as an enviable model to follow.

Rodgers might want £60m, but he probably won't get that. That's if he even has any say in it anyway - to me, he is sounding a bit like a hostage who is making escape plans / getting his excuses in. 

What's your take on him? It seems like a real odd position to be in to be considering losing either him or Fofana, for example. I know the wage restrictions etc. But is that down to him, or the club, or just a bunch of bad luck?

3 minutes ago, toontownman said:

First it was 3 players (striker, winger, mid) now we are only wanting half players? Worrying.

Taking Rodgers at his word by the looks of it.

He has been consistent in saying 1 or 2 tbf 

18 minutes ago, Foxedup said:

Ha… no, it really isn’t.

If you want to be a big club and take a Premier league clubs best players, you pay like a big club.

This is true.

18 minutes ago, Kid Icarus said:

Pick one. :lol:

It's in a position we don't need to upgrade anywhere near as much as RW and ST, as Howe himself has said, as I'm saying. If Howe wants to play Maddison on the right in the way you're suggesting fair enough, but considering Diaby was the original choice, it very much suggests a different plan.

I think we are just going for "attacking player that can play on the right - that fits our valuation". Harrison, Maddison, Cornet, Diaby - these aren't the same profile of player.