Now That's What I Call Transfer Rumours! 7

Rich

7 hours ago, LV said:

You’re howling into the wind with this one.

All the evidence, including from the man himself, points to him playing as a wide forward at times. 

Even in his highlights he looks more like a wide forward than out and out striker in the majority of the clips. 

Pretty much all his ball carrying, dribbling etc stats are that of a wide player too. 

We'd simply not have signed him when we did if we didn't think him and Wilson could fit in the same team together in the short term. 

It's the least if our problems, but given our style of play it'd be nice to have a CB with a bit of recovery pace to drop in against teams like Leicester. I know we kept a clean sheet in both games, but both Daka and Vardy caused problems running in behind.

1 minute ago, The Prophet said:

It's the least if our problems, but given our style of play it'd be nice to have a CB with a bit of recovery pace to drop in against teams like Leicester. I know we kept a clean sheet in both games, but both Daka and Vardy caused problems running in behind.

I think that'll be solved in the summer. Don't see Lascelles staying with us into next season so we'll need another CB anyway. 

35 minutes ago, Mazzy said:

I think that'll be solved in the summer. Don't see Lascelles staying with us into next season so we'll need another CB anyway. 

Yeah, fully expecting one of the additions in the Summer to be another (right footed) CB to compete with, and eventually be the successor to, Schar. 

9 hours ago, Shadow Puppets said:

I did find it interesting tonight just how much stick our players were giving Tielemens. Trippier had a pop at him on a couple of occasions, as did Bruno. Pretty awkward if we sign him next week ?

Noticed this too.

And the fact that he was constantly smiling at our players

Not sure a CB will be priority when 2 have already been bought in the lat year and the midfield and forward line is desperately thin - not saying it wouldn’t be good, but if there’s a 100m to spend is that where it would go? Difficult 

RB seems to be a bit more of a priority due to Trippier needing cover.

1 hour ago, The Prophet said:

I don’t think that’s the least of our problems. I think it’s a very present problem. Leicester demonstrated how to get at us. Our back 4 are quite slow. Excellent positioning and organisation but nothing makes up for pace. If teams pull our CBs out of position we’re really relying on midfielders to get back to help out. 
A defensive record is excellent but I’m sure the club are looking to the future and realise that a pacy CB will be a must.

6 minutes ago, Lotus said:

I don’t think that’s the least of our problems. I think it’s a very present problem. Leicester demonstrated how to get at us. Our back 4 are quite slow. Excellent positioning and organisation but nothing makes up for pace. If teams pull our CBs out of position we’re really relying on midfielders to get back to help out. 
A defensive record is excellent but I’m sure the club are looking to the future and realise that a pacy CB will be a must.

Nick Pope being pretty much the best in the league at sweeping actions makes up for our slow back line, and it rarely gets exposed by pace as much as last night. 

Isak will do whatever Eddie asks him to do, I'm sure like Joelinton and Miggys transformation he'll also adapt to the style and shape of what's required, be it centre, left or right. Anyone right now will just want to be part of this set up, they'll just want to play, Isak looks capable, he just still needs to get sharper. Dan Burn mentioning pattern five etc last night, shows we are far away from dinosaur tactics and the necessity to play a player in his preferred position. 

Edited by mighty__mag

1 hour ago, Joey47 said:

Nick Pope being pretty much the best in the league at sweeping actions makes up for our slow back line, and it rarely gets exposed by pace as much as last night. 

I wouldn't even think of interfering with the Schar - Botman partnership. Not for a couple of seasons anyway. They're just brilliant together. 

Should be in the market for a young right sided centre back as backup and long term replace schar when his age catches up but not a priority is lascelles contract up in summer? Long term we should have 4 high standard centre backs like man city try to fine for now

4 minutes ago, Tiresias said:

Should be in the market for a young right sided centre back as backup and long term replace schar when his age catches up but not a priority is lascelles contract up in summer? Long term we should have 4 high standard centre backs like man city try to fine for now

I genuinely thought we'd go for Skriniar this window, some may think that's not a priority at CB, but if we lost Schar or Botman, we saw on Saturday vs Sheffield what our back up is like, it's not good.

The best assets right now are Botman and Bruno to lose one or both would be carnage, that's why I thought Skriniar and Tielemans would be decent additions. 

More seem to think the focus should be on wide players though. 

1 hour ago, mighty__mag said:

Isak will do whatever Eddie asks him to do, I'm sure like Joelinton and Miggys transformation he'll also adapt to the style and shape of what's required, be it centre, left or right. Anyone right now will just want to be part of this set up, they'll just want to play, Isak looks capable, he just still needs to get sharper. Dan Burn mentioning pattern five etc last night, shows we are far away from dinosaur tactics and the necessity to play a player in his preferred position. 

What’s the pattern 5 thing?

1 minute ago, BoSelecta said:

What’s the pattern 5 thing?

Burn while interviewed was asked to discuss his goal with Shay Chappers and Emile Heskey, They had Eddie how right beside Burn who had just been talking to them, when they played the clip, he said, " I think we were in a pattern five or four, is that right gaffer" Eddie saying something like dont get technical Dan, to which he then laughed and said it was just a give and go and I caressed it in the corner.

Something along those lines, 

12 hours ago, Tiresias said:

From what I understand he can play wide in a fluid front 3 but not really doing the defensive hard running our wide players are expected to, more that he will naturally drift wide to find space to run into and saw a bit of that tonight. if he does play wide I think it will be in games where we don't think a lot of defensive work will be necessary. 

Thats my concern. Going forward, sure. But doing the runs Joe's do defensively? I just don't see it.

3 hours ago, sushimonster85 said:

Yeah, fully expecting one of the additions in the Summer to be another (right footed) CB to compete with, and eventually be the successor to, Schar. 

Aye the lack of pace throughout the backline is a noticeable weakness that needs to be addressed.

I agree with the person that mentioned Pope sweeping mitigates it to a point. As does the high-press. But it's a legit weakness that needs addressing in the summer. 

A RCB AND LB with a bit of pace and height....

But for now. An athletic ball playing CM is ideal. A creative midfielder too. Young RB. Then a RCB and LB.

Edited by The College Dropout

1 hour ago, The College Dropout said:

Thats my concern. Going forward, sure. But doing the runs Joe's do defensively? I just don't see it.

When ASM was starting games and playing well, we had Joelinton at left centre midfield and he covered most of the defensive work for that flank.

The winger needs to be able to press, but in most games we don’t need to have someone tracking back all the time if Joelinton’s in midfield.