Now That's What I Call Transfer Rumours! 7

Rich

I remember Henry playing on the wing for Monaco against us with Sonny Anderson up front. They were both brilliant. 

I can definitely see Isak playing wide left for us at times. 

3 minutes ago, Thumbheed said:

Tbf, he said he's based his game on Thierry Henry (which I can see) and he himself spent a fair bit of time on the left of Barca's front 3 - which no one would have called during his PL days. 

Wouldn't rule anything out personally.

Yeah, sure he played a bit on the left wing for Barca. But their striker then was prime Lionel fucking Messi. :lol: And when Isak has been modelling his game on Henry, are you telling me with a straight face that he was modelling it on Henry the winger? :lol:

Anyway sure, let's put Isak on the wing. And Almiron at left back, Wilson in goal, Bruno at centre forward and Pope in centre midfield. All of those make equal sense, but hey let's do it because then we get Wilson and Isak in the team together and that's all that seemingly matters.

3 minutes ago, LV said:

I remember Henry playing on the wing for Monaco against us with Sonny Anderson up front. They were both brilliant. 

I can definitely see Isak playing wide left for us at times. 

The athletic reckon either left or right:

“The 37-cap Swede received unanimous approval from Newcastle’s recruitment team because he was seen as a forward who could play both with and instead of Wilson.

The Athletic has learned that, initially, Isak featured prominently on a list of potential wide-forward targets presented to Howe by the recruitment team for last January’s window. Howe determined that, although he could play as a winger, centre-forward was his primary position and, given Wood had already been signed from relegation rivals Burnleythat month, Newcastle’s focus shifted elsewhere.

During the summer, Isak’s versatility became more attractive, even if he was signed principally as a striker.

The early indications were that Isak may be deployed from the right, with Wilson through the middle and Saint-Maximin on the left. In theory, the Swede could now be fielded on the left, with Wilson and Almiron.

Longer term, that still may still happen but it is likely to be Wilson or Isak in the initial XI, rather than Wilson and Isak, for now at least.“

Just now, Chris_R said:

Yeah, sure he played a bit on the left wing for Barca. But their striker then was prime Lionel fucking Messi. :lol: And when Isak has been modelling his game on Henry, are you telling me with a straight face that he was modelling it on Henry the winger? :lol:

Anyway sure, let's put Isak on the wing. And Almiron at left back, Wilson in goal, Bruno at centre forward and Pope in centre midfield. All of those make equal sense, but hey let's do it because then we get Wilson and Isak in the team together and that's all that seemingly matters.

Could really go crazy and put Big Joe in the midfield.

I actually thought most of Leicesters better stuff came through Tielemans actually and he was stronger on the ball than I thought he would be. Definitely has potential but there’s just something about him I don’t like.. can’t quite put my finger on it.

4 minutes ago, Chris_R said:

You’re howling into the wind with this one.

All the evidence, including from the man himself, points to him playing as a wide forward at times. 

Edited by LV

1 minute ago, Chris_R said:

I think you’re getting your nickers in a twist a bit too much about this and massively exaggerating other points to make your point. Isak’s best position is as probably a number 9, he’s said that himself. However he can play across the front 3 and it’s not black and white that either Isak or Wilson will play. There will be some games where both play because it’ll suit our attacking play. Either way let’s just let Howe decide and pick the team eh ?

2 minutes ago, Holloway said:

Sure Isac stated in an interview published before he joined us that he considered himself to be a modern striker, equally comfortable playing anywhere along the front 3. Not hugging touchlines, obviously

Yeah it’s not like we’re playing 442 is it ffs. A front 3 can be fluid as Liverpool show. Wilson is obviously the most obvious number 9 we have, Isak plays slightly differently. 

Edited by ExiledGeordie

From what I understand he can play wide in a fluid front 3 but not really doing the defensive hard running our wide players are expected to, more that he will naturally drift wide to find space to run into and saw a bit of that tonight. if he does play wide I think it will be in games where we don't think a lot of defensive work will be necessary. 

1 minute ago, Tiresias said:

From what I understand he can play wide in a fluid front 3 but not really doing the defensive hard running our wide players are expected to, more that he will naturally drift wide to find space to run into and saw a bit of that tonight. if he does play wide I think it will be in games where we don't think a lot of defensive work will be necessary. 

He’ll be very useful against 10 men behind the ball because he can pull something out of his arse in the box and away from home on the counter with his pace. 

3 minutes ago, LV said:

All the evidence, including from the man himself, points to him playing as a wide forward at times. 

What evidence? He's not played there. 48 of his last 50 games have been as a central striker. All he's said is basically that he'd give it a go. But he's hardly going to say that he'd refuse to.

2 minutes ago, ExiledGeordie said:

However he can play across the front 3

See above. There's no evidence that this is the case at all. If you think otherwise, please tell me which matches he impressed you in playing wide?

I'm not saying it'll never happen - twice in 50 games it has, but that's not enough for people to be putting him there in future lineups. It'll not happen with any regularity at all. It'll be Isak or Wilson, not both. And rightly so, even though I love them both. You don't sign a 6'4" striker for club record money and stick the poor cunt on the wing.

1 hour ago, Skeletor said:

No more talk of Tielemans please.

Got chatting to one of their season ticket holders after the game in a bar, said Maddison is devastating, can create from nothing, loves him to bits. If he was to choose between the two for all round game, he’s go for Tielemens. Sweeps up, loads of dirty work, can pass a ball as good as anyone, can create and score, a more all round player. If he’s available for £15million someone will be getting a disgusting (good) deal. 

11 minutes ago, Chris_R said:

What evidence? He's not played there. 48 of his last 50 games have been as a central striker. All he's said is basically that he'd give it a go. But he's hardly going to say that he'd refuse to.

See above. There's no evidence that this is the case at all. If you think otherwise, please tell me which matches he impressed you in playing wide?

I'm not saying it'll never happen - twice in 50 games it has, but that's not enough for people to be putting him there in future lineups. It'll not happen with any regularity at all. It'll be Isak or Wilson, not both. And rightly so, even though I love them both. You don't sign a 6'4" striker for club record money and stick the poor cunt on the wing.

Ok mate knock yourself out. It’s all about opinions ?

Edited by ExiledGeordie

I thought he was their best player by a mile but was pretty much having to do the job of two. Thought this stat was interesting though and one that I'm sure Howe would be attracted by.

I just see him in midfield ahead of Longstaff and us looking even better.

2 minutes ago, ExiledGeordie said:

Ok mate knock yourself out. It’s all about opinions ?

Well not really. Those putting him on the wing have an opinion, which of course they're entitled to, but it's just an opinion and it's not based on what he's done in the past. I'm countering it with evidence and historical facts. He isn't (and never has been) a winger.

1 minute ago, Chris_R said:

Well not really. Those putting him on the wing have an opinion, which of course they're entitled to, but it's just an opinion and it's not based on what he's done in the past. I'm countering it with evidence and historical facts. He isn't (and never has been) a winger.

Righto mate ? Move on ffs, enjoy the fact we’ve won tonight eh son, semi final and all that  ?

43 minutes ago, LV said:

All the evidence points to Isak being a better, more complete striker than Wilson, certainly long term. We’ve bought Isak to be our project’s center forward, no doubt about it.

24 minutes ago, Optimistic Nut said:

I thought he was their best player by a mile but was pretty much having to do the job of two. Thought this stat was interesting though and one that I'm sure Howe would be attracted by.

I just see him in midfield ahead of Longstaff and us looking even better.

All this suggests to me is that we need to go get my baby boy T. Adams.