Now That's What I Call Transfer Rumours! 7

Rich

2 hours ago, ExiledGeordie said:

I would take a fair bit of what he says with a pinch of salt

It would be interesting to see what he did when he brought Bournemouth up the leagues.  He mentioned that the players have earned the right by getting us there.  It sounded like what a promoted team (other than forest) would say.  

I agree with the point though that we'll play the same tune as we have that we don't have as much money as what people think.

1 hour ago, Smal said:

This is what I thought.

If we want to register a full 25 man squad for the CL then 4 of them have to be club homegrown. Anderson doesn't need to be registered as he's under 21 so we currently only have 2 - Dummett and Longstaff. If we're going to register a full 25 then we need two more on top of those so it makes sense to keep Dummett. 

I don't even know which club homegrown players are out there to get so that we can register 25? Krul, Woodman and Forster? Ivan Toney? Adam Armstrong? Andy Carroll? :lol:

Toney isn't, but all the others are aye.

2nd and 3rd choice goalkeepers are quite a common thing to use to fulfill home grown spots (see Scott Carson, Tom Heaton etc). It's the one position where we have quite a few who have made it pro so would be decent shouts. Jak Alnwick is backup for Cardiff these days in addition to the 3 mentioned.

I suppose the under 21 thing would make a move for Lavia more appealing. Any other notable prospects who tick that "free to register" box?

I know little of registration matters, but are we looking at effectively being forced to buy 2 or 3 players who don't take up a squad place? Ashby is still 21 but turns 22 in November. Is he still okay?

How many players are in the Champions League squad list?

Each club must submit two lists of players to Uefa; List A and List B. 

In List A, no club can have more than 25 players. However, a club can register an unlimited number of players on List B, who are born on or after January 1, 2001. 

Moreover, since his 15th birthday, he must have played for the club for an uninterrupted period of two years, or a total of three consecutive years. He can have a maximum of one loan period to a club from the same association for a period not longer than one year.

Each club must also have at least two goalkeepers on List A, and three after combining List A and B. 

How many homegrown players are needed in a Champions League squad?

Out of the 25, eight places are reserved exclusively for "locally trained players" or homegrown players. Out of the eight, not more than four can be "association-trained players" and the rest must be "club-trained". 

It must be explicitly mentioned who qualifies as "locally trained", and also whether they are "club trained" or association trained". 

Which players are considered "locally trained"?

As mentioned before, there are two categories of "locally trained players" players.

"Club-trained" players are those who were on the club's books for at least three years between the age of 15 and 21. 

Whereas, he will be considered an "association-trained" player if he was on another club's books in the same association for three years between the ages of 15 and 21.

It must be noted that only four players from this category will be counted among the eight local or homegrown players on List A. 

What happens if a team doesn't meet the homegrown quota?

Uefa allows a club to have 25 players on List A, with eight of them reserved for locally trained players or homegrown talent. 

However, if a club fails to fulfill the quota of eight players, then the squad size must be reduced accordingly. For example, if a club has named only seven locally trained players then they are allowed to name only 24 players in List A.

16 minutes ago, Stottie said:

I suppose the under 21 thing would make a move for Lavia more appealing. Any other notable prospects who tick that "free to register" box?

I know little of registration matters, but are we looking at effectively being forced to buy 2 or 3 players who don't take up a squad place? Ashby is still 21 but turns 22 in November. Is he still okay?

Lavia would not take a league registration slot, but he would take a CL slot.

For the CL under 21s have to have been here for at least two years before they don’t need to be registered.

Never gonna happen, but I genuinely don’t even want Kane. Not because he isn’t class but because he is too “Spurs coloured”. i want “our own” stars. Either growing into stars with us or from abroad and growing into the league with us. Not to say I wouldn’t have a single player from the PL. I personally just don’t want ready made superstars from other PL clubs, especially from the so called “top 4/6” teams. I would rather see us being a steroid version of Dortmund/Leipzig to name two. Players that grow with the club and genuinely fall in love with it.

I know many on here will struggle to understand my reasoning and thinking behind this. Some will I guess.

Edited by Ikon

1 hour ago, Smal said:

Lavia would not take a league registration slot, but he would take a CL slot.

For the CL under 21s have to have been here for at least two years before they don’t need to be registered.

Thanks Smal. Looks like we'll have to get an ex keeper back in and use Anderson and youth players.

I can't say I know anything about the youth team, but Bondswell, the lad that played in the last preseason, sounds like he would qualify on that two year thing.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Matthew_Bondswell

1 hour ago, Stottie said:

Lavia is also English HG.

Howe likes himself an English player anyway so expect at least 1 signing to be considered HG.

Branco van den Boomen from Toulouse on a free, anyone?

Weirdest player ever. Ajax academy, joined Toulouse when they were relegated, posted massive scoring and assist stats in Ligue 2. Now in Ligue 1 and posting impressive numbers for shot-creating actions, progressive passes and key passes. Basically a stats monster.

Plays as a number 8, so could be a useful backup to Bruno. Good in dead ball situations and not afraid of a "Schar long pass" as well. Only drawback is that he's a little old at 27.

9 minutes ago, wyn davies said:

Deli Ali appears he may need somewhere to go, would Howe sort him out, or am I being stupid , Trips may have an influence on him

Dele is way too far gone, and on top of that didn't really suit Howe's defensive intensity even at his best. So not a chance of us having anything to do with him.

10 minutes ago, wyn davies said:

Deli Ali appears he may need somewhere to go, would Howe sort him out, or am I being stupid , Trips may have an influence on him

We've just qualified for the Champions League ffs. [emoji38]

I'd expect us to make a few big signings, despite any noises coming out of the club. It doesn't do us any good if other clubs are expecting us to go crazy. I'd expect the owners to take advantage of this opportunity where we've qualified for the CL probably 3 or 4 years ahead of schedule. Spend money and make the right signings and you have the potential to go far in the competition, as well as have a better chance of qualifying again. If it was just 2 or 3 and then just relying on the current squad, you might end up 6th or 7th next year and it be a lot harder to get a higher standard of player in.

21 minutes ago, Emotic said:

Branco van den Boomen from Toulouse on a free, anyone?

Weirdest player ever. Ajax academy, joined Toulouse when they were relegated, posted massive scoring and assist stats in Ligue 2. Now in Ligue 1 and posting impressive numbers for shot-creating actions, progressive passes and key passes. Basically a stats monster.

Plays as a number 8, so could be a useful backup to Bruno. Good in dead ball situations and not afraid of a "Schar long pass" as well. Only drawback is that he's a little old at 27.

He is like a budget Bruno Fernandes. Could be a very interesting signing.