Now That's What I Call Transfer Rumours! 7

Rich

9 minutes ago, Yorkie said:

I'd hate to help Chelsea out but based on what I've seen I think Gallagher would be a good fit for our midfield and general playing style. His high workrate, combative nature and general defensive contributions would make him a good foil for Longstaff in-particular. I'm not sure how unique those attributes are though and if he's costing the same amount as Bruno, you'd think we could find an alternative who is more reasonably priced. 

Same profile as Cucarella surely? Great the season before, lost his way while the rest of Chelsea has but there's still something in there? 

Like you say, there'll be alternatives, but I think both would be good fits here. 

9 minutes ago, SUPERTOON said:

A few (poor) links emerging for us being interested in Tyler Adams from Leeds.

I’m not sold. For a young lad he’s missed over a season worth of game time in the last five years with a lot of niggling injuries. Doubt Eddie’s pressing game would go well with that.

1 minute ago, KDT said:

Tyler Adams would be a canny signing if we could get him for around the £20m that Leeds paid for him.

Quoting a release clause of £30m. We can do better.

If Adams is going cheap, I’ll take him. Looks likely that we’re spending big on an 8 this summer with Bruno continuing as our 6; which means we’ll need a capable 6 stand-in for when BG can’t play. He’d be a decent enough squad option imo and, if the price is right, would allow to spend more on other positions.

Edited by McCormick

13 minutes ago, Yorkie said:

I'd hate to help Chelsea out but based on what I've seen I think Gallagher would be a good fit for our midfield and general playing style. His high workrate, combative nature and general defensive contributions would make him a good foil for Longstaff in-particular. I'm not sure how unique those attributes are though and if he's costing the same amount as Bruno, you'd think we could find an alternative who is more reasonably priced. 

I think Bruno's price tag was such an anomaly that it can be a little unfair taking it into account when discussing players. Bruno's value pretty much doubled after his first few starts, and now he is already in the £100m+ bracket. 

2 minutes ago, sushimonster85 said:

I think Bruno's price tag was such an anomaly that it can be a little unfair taking it into account when discussing players. Bruno's value pretty much doubled after his first few starts, and now he is already in the £100m+ bracket. 

Fair comment. 

*if he'd cost a significant part of our whole budget

Hard to judge any player in a Chelsea shirt this year, there season was so dysfunctional.

For me what I saw of his time at Palace Gallagher looks a decent player who would improve our 16-18 starting squad options.

wont judge him on last seasons aberration in same way I wouldn’t judge any of our much improved players by the standards produced under fat bacon boy as manager.

Going to be interesting to see where Eddie decides to spend and put his priorities as. I trust him to get it right.

Howay the lads :indi:

Gallagher looked exceptionally lightweight when Chelsea came up here earlier in the season. However, we can't ignore his stint at Palace. He'd be a great squad player, but not for 40 mil. Can't be giving Chelsea a helping hand like that 

If we did part with serious cash for Gallagher, there's no way that he's coming in as a squad player. 

I also couldn't care whether that cash is going to Chelsea, our own needs are far more important. 

So many question about what we'll do. If you want to directly improve the first choice XI, Gallagher is alright. If you want to improve the quality of the squad, Gallagher is excellent. If you want to improve the quality of the first choice XI as well as the quality of the squad, you probably need someone in a higher bracket. 

1 hour ago, STM said:

Don't want Gallagher, he doesn't have a fancy foreign name and he hasn't done it in a shite league so obviously it's good enough.

Tells you alot about the modern football fan:

This Turkish kid has a few fancy highlights on YouTube... obviously the next Modric.

Gallagher, had a genuinely class season in the hardest league in the world at the age of 21/22... na he's shite. 

[emoji38]

Can we not be sensible for one minute.

It never ceases to amaze me how much Brits seemingly dislike their own players.

Even Rice, who I've always thought was a good player, used to get killed on here whenever there were England games on.

In the last year when all the top clubs started showing interest with his time at West Ham winding down, then now everyone on here rates him and wants him too.

I mean, it's true that people have completely wrong opinions about players, Rice and Grealish being two great examples. But I'm not convinced it has anything to do with nationality. We just see them a lot. 

I guess English players historically being so much more expensive has given them a higher bar to meet. Maybe. Since everyone assumes you can get someone just as good from France for half the price. 

Edited by AyeDubbleYoo

16 minutes ago, KaKa said:

Even Rice, who I've always thought was a good player, used to get killed on here whenever there were England games on.

In the last year when all the top clubs started showing interest with his time at West Ham winding down, then now everyone on here rates him and wants him too.

It’s got nothing to do with nationality tbh.

In fairness, there are red flags with Gallagher. While Chelsea are a mess, he has looked pretty average with regular playing time this season. You'd be asking Howe to tap into his potential and recapture his Palace form. If he can he's an immediate improvement on Longstaff, but there's no guarantee. 

Also, he allegedly isn't keen on leaving London and would command a large fee when there's potentially better options available to us.

I think Gallagher could be a massive success under Howe, but I get why people have reservations. 

21 minutes ago, KaKa said:

Where does the fact a lot of the same people that don’t want Gallagher want Maddison fit in with this anti English bullshit theory?

maybe, just maybe the fact Gallagher having a dreadful season is putting a lot of people off. 

34 minutes ago, KaKa said:

Not sure it’s about nationality; I’ve seen posters dismiss very good non-British players that play in the PL as well.

Imo it’s got a lot to do with people scouting foreign-league players on YouTube, where their best hits are being shown on a highlight reel- whereas they’ve seen PL players playing all the time, warts and all, so their familiarity and knowledge of their weaknesses make them less appealing. People just seem want shiny new things and I don’t mean that in a condescending way.

As an example: If we didn’t already have him and he was still in Ligue 1 offering similar performances as he is here, people would probably be absolutely frothing over the idea of signing Saint Maximin. Yet many are very happy to sell him (rightly or wrongly).

Edited by McCormick

To me Gallagher has shown more in the past than McTominay, although he did always look poor this season. It’s the English premium that’s really offputting. It’ll be £40m+ and 100k per week on someone that might not merit going straight into the first team.

Edited by Kimbo

1 hour ago, The Prophet said:

So were about a dozen other clubs to be fair.

I like Adams, but we'll be looking for someone with more quality on the ball you'd have thought. 

From Gallagher, McTominay and Adams, I'd prefer Adams from the three. Think Eddie could really do something with him.

Personally can't see the fuss in any of that Chelsea lot. Mount, RLC, Gallagher etc. They'll all be massively overpriced, on big wedge and have limited impact.

4 minutes ago, gdm said:

Where does the fact a lot of the same people that don’t want Gallagher want Maddison fit in with this anti English bullshit theory?

maybe, just maybe the fact Gallagher having a dreadful season is putting a lot of people off. 

Just very quickly off the top of my head ... Gallagher, Mount, Rice, Grealish, Ramsdale, Pickford have all typically got a hard time on here.

I mean these are all at the very least somewhere between solid to really good players. I just don't get it.

3 minutes ago, McCormick said:

Not sure it’s about nationality; I’ve seen posters dismiss very good non-British players that play in the PL as well.

Imo it’s got a lot to do with people scouting foreign-league players on YouTube, where their best hits are being shown on a highlight reel- whereas they’ve seen PL players playing all the time, warts and all, so their familiarity and knowledge of their weaknesses make them less appealing. People want shiny new things.

If we didn’t already have him and he was still in Ligue 1 offering similar performances as he is here, people would probably be absolutely frothing over the idea of signing Saint Maximin. Yet many are very happy to sell him (rightly or wrongly).

Yeah, fair point. Maybe it's just a Premier League familiarity thing.

1 minute ago, KaKa said:

Just very quickly off the top of my head ... Gallagher, Mount, Rice, Grealish, Ramsdale, Pickford have all typically got a hard time on here.

I mean these are all at the very least somewhere between solid to really good players. I just don't get it.

Ward Prowse too!

Just now, KaKa said:

Most people here under-rated Nick Pope too. A lot of "he's no better than Dubs" when he's streaks ahead.

Just now, The College Dropout said:

Most people here under-rated Nick Pope too. A lot of "he's no better than Dubs" when he's streaks ahead.

Yes indeed. He was another one.

I also noticed whenever we get linked with these players, there'll usually be someone mentioning Howe's Brexit Mags or something similarly strange.