In terms of left sided we have 

ASM

Gordon

Joelinton/Willock

Isak at times

Then for the other side we have 

Miggy

Murphy

That's 4 (with possibly 5-6) for 2 positions, so Barnes unless someone is leaving wouldn't make sense 

My gut feeling is that it’s gonna take a long time until we get our players in. Hope I’m wrong as I hope we can get the right players in early for preseason. 

2 minutes ago, Ikon said:

My gut feeling is that it’s gonna take a long time until we get our players in. Hope I’m wrong as I hope we can get the right players in early for preseason. 

I'm trying not to stress too much this summer, we have a good team already and we have the right people trying to improve the squad. Shouldn't really need to panic like under Ashley.

Edited by AyeDubbleYoo

41 minutes ago, The Prophet said:

I don't know anywhere near as much about Thuram. Is he a similar sort of player?

Thuram seems more versatile in that he can play as a 6 if needed (he’s an 8); he’d be a perfect Howe player imo, great with progressive carries, great engine and elite athleticism. I think he’s better offensively and defensively than Kone (with the latter seemingly a better dribbler).

Also, it’s no secret nowadays that excelling in the French League is a better barometer for success in the PL than doing the same in the German league.

1 hour ago, ExiledGeordie said:

Haha well this is probably complete bullshit too but my pub friends’ Northern Irish mate was in the boozer yesterday and he said he is friends with Barnes Dad and Howe has already spoken with him. Make of that what you will as I said 🤷‍♂️ 

Is he called Sean Casey? 

7 minutes ago, Geordie Ahmed said:

I do like Barnes but he's very much a wide player, that too left sided

ASM

Gordon

Joelinton/Willock

Isak at times

Miggy

Murphy

That's 4 (with possibly 5-6) for 2 positions, so Barnes unless someone is leaving wouldn't make sense 

Gordon can be effective on the right as well. He's been played there a bit by Howe.

1 minute ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

I'm trying not to stress too much this summer, we have a good team already and we have the right people trying to improve the squad. Shouldn't really need to panic like under Ashley.

Im not feeling stressed about it really, in any way. Just mentioned how I think it will shape up.

1 minute ago, catlover24 said:

Gordon can be effective on the right as well. He's been played there a bit by Howe.

I agree, he's played there a bit but he's very much a wide player so we still have 4 main wide players, with 1 other likely to play there (Joelinton-Willock) and another that will from time to time (Isak)

3 hours ago, Matt1892 said:

Man Utd get Mount 
Liverpool get Mac Allister

Arsenal get Rice

Man City get Kovacic

Chelsea get Ugarte

We get McTominay.

That would be King Eddie doing his best to win manager of the season next year!

4 minutes ago, McCormick said:

Thuram seems more versatile in that he can play as a 6 if needed (he’s an 8); he’d be a perfect Howe player imo, great with progressive carries, great engine and elite athleticism. I think he’s better offensively and defensively than Kone (with the latter seemingly a better dribbler).

Also, it’s no secret nowadays that excelling in the French League is a better barometer for success in the PL than doing the same in the German league.

Quoting myself here but another issue I have with Kone is he’s quite slow, whereas K. Thuram is rapid.

According to NUFC.COM......

Spanish media outlets reported on Wednesday that Newcastle were in pole position to complete the permanent signing of Spaniard Gabri Veiga.

The 21 year-old central midfielder was repeatedly watched by Newcastle last season as he netted nine times in 35 La Liga games, scouted mostly recently during Vigo's 1-2 defeat at Bilbao.

Veiga was also reportedly scouted by Liverpool and has been linked with Barcelona - the latter stories following a recent claimed switch to agent Pini Zahavi. 

(They seldom feature unfounded gossip tbf)

Edited by Jinky
info

19 minutes ago, Geordie Ahmed said:

I do like Barnes but he's very much a wide player, that too left sided

ASM

Gordon

Joelinton/Willock

Isak at times

Miggy

Murphy

Well Willock plays left but from centre midfield, so you can't include him in the left sided numbers really, he's, iirc only ever started wide left once. 

Joe has so aye he can, Isak also but I don't think that will continue really, I think we'll see rotation of him and Wilson up top with the extra Cup to play in now. I suspect Joe will play mainly central midfield for the same reasons.

So for me it's ASM & Gordon as the two purely for the left wing position, with rest as stop gaps, and as you've quite rightly said, just the two on the right. Another proper wide player who can play either side is probably a must for the extra games.

1 minute ago, Bimpy474 said:

Well Willock plays left but from centre midfield, so you can't include him in the left sided numbers really, he's, iirc only ever started wide left once. 

Joe has so aye he can, Isak also but I don't think that will continue really, I think we'll see rotation of him and Wilson up top with the extra Cup to play in now. I suspect Joe will play mainly central midfield for the same reasons.

So for me it's ASM & Gordon as the two purely for the left wing position, with rest as stop gaps, and as you've quite rightly said, just the two on the right. Another proper wide player who can play either side is probably a must for the extra games.

That's why I put Joelinton and Willock as one, as they interchange, even if the starting position and the average position is probably more Joelinton's

Getting a wide player I can understand, especially a versatile one but a purely left sided one doesn't make sense 

28 minutes ago, Ikon said:

Im the opposite, I think we get at least 2 of our main targets in by pre season and then others follow later on.

5 minutes ago, Jinky said:

I'd say it's more accurate to say they seldom feature gossip in general. Their track record on the rare occasions they have featured a transfer story can actually be pretty hit and miss. 

1 minute ago, SUPERTOON said:

Im the opposite, I think we get at least 2 of our main targets in by pre season and then others follow later on.

I actually don't think anything will happen, or at least be confirmed/finalised till after the new sponsorship deal is announced. 

9 minutes ago, Jinky said:

According to NUFC.COM......

Spanish media outlets reported on Wednesday that Newcastle were in pole position to complete the permanent signing of Spaniard Gabri Veiga.

The 21 year-old central midfielder was repeatedly watched by Newcastle last season as he netted nine times in 35 La Liga games, scouted mostly recently during Vigo's 1-2 defeat at Bilbao.

Veiga was also reportedly scouted by Liverpool and has been linked with Barcelona - the latter stories following a recent claimed switch to agent Pini Zahavi. 

Looks decent and very promising, but this signing does suggest that our recruitment may be just as financially restricted as Eddie is suggesting.

Joelintin will definitely be an option at LW going forward.

I hope Isak isn't an option there but the facts suggest otherwise. You do expect Wilson will have his minutes managed for his own fitness anyway so there will be less of him LW.

I do think it's 1 in 1 out for LW and maybe wingers in general.

3 hours ago, Matt1892 said:

Man Utd get Mount 
Liverpool get Mac Allister

Arsenal get Rice

Man City get Kovacic

Chelsea get Ugarte

We get McTominay.

:jones: