Still not worthy of a thread

Yorkie

37 minutes ago, Kanji said:

but what if I’m a Newcastle fan living in a different city and I can’t make the games because im caring for a sick family member. 

Just remember that according to some you’re not a true fan nor allowed to have an opinion on NUFC matters unless you’re at every match live. 

6 hours ago, LFEE said:

Nowt new there really. Tournament for bottom 4 were called test matches early part of last century and all star games aren't far from representative games. I've got a prog from an English league V Scottish league match.

Domestic origin games could be interesting (though they'd never come off because if insurance etc), Representative teams of players born in say Northumberland and Durham V Yorkshire.

What if this 200m all star kitty fed the homeless? Or supported building community centers to help underprivileged? What if this happened after the season ended and it was just a a very fun and light event at that? Place for kids and such to see their heros?  

Why does this always have to be so dramatic? Every suggestion met with such vitriol “you Americans don’t know anything about us!”

it’s a suggestion the silly weirdo made on some panel at some conference. Ain’t ever happening anyway! 

1 minute ago, Kanji said:

What if this 200m all star kitty fed the homeless? Or supported building community centers to help underprivileged? What if this happened after the season ended and it was just a a very fun and light event at that? Place for kids and such to see their heros?  

Why does this always have to be so dramatic? Every suggestion met with such vitriol “you Americans don’t know anything about us!”

it’s a suggestion the silly weirdo made on some panel at some conference. Ain’t ever happening anyway! 

Let's be honest, they won't be feeding the homeless or help lower league clubs, they'll want it all for themselves. Their is no end up their greed (Btw, not referring to just American owners here)

I do like the general idea of a North-South game but not sure it's feasible due to clubs unlikely to want it to happen (certainly not for the better players at least) and with it not being competitive the intensity won't be there, which will then make it boring. 

For anyone that follows them, what are the all star games like in NBA/NFL? (Assuming they have them of course)

Toddy boy said the 200m could find the efl! Not likely I agree. 

nba, nfl and mlb all star games are equal parts trash as it’s equal parts fun but there are people who enjoy it and it generates a ton of buzz and fan engagement and interaction. I found as a kid i loved them. Players themselves take pride making those games and being selected. It’s an honor so to speak. 

9 minutes ago, Kanji said:

There's no chance it would raise anything like 200m.  No-one would give a solitary shite - a bunch of players you don't like playing a friendly for two sides who don't exist outside of that friendly.

Also, football is a pyramid - unlike US sports and their franchise system, the 'North' and the 'South' may have a very skewed look depending on who is in the PL that season.  This year, it would just about work if the midlands teams are considered 'Northern'.

For the best part of a century, a 'Football League XI' played friendlies each year against other Football League XIs.  No-one cared or watched, which is why it was canned.

We all hate everyone else's clubs and players - for many of us, that dislike doesn't even end when those players play for England etc. :) 

6 minutes ago, Kanji said:

Toddy boy said the 200m could find the efl! Not likely I agree. 

nba, nfl and mlb all star games are equal parts trash as it’s equal parts fun but there are people who enjoy it and it generates a ton of buzz and fan engagement and interaction. I found as a kid i loved them. Players themselves take pride making those games and being selected. It’s an honor so to speak. 

I wonder if the lack of international competition makes those 'All Star Games' more enticing?  Here in Oz, 'State of Origin' in rugby league is massive.  Mainly because only England, PNG and NZ actually play RL at any kind of decent level.  No-one seriously plays gridiron outside the US, Japan plays baseball, and basketball is reasonably played in small Eastern European countries

This is my example of how stupid the reaction is:

first off he didn’t make any of those points and they aren’t even done in MLS. Some were before and the American fans and players hated it. Take me out to the ball game is a strictly baseball thing. So no. And Holt himself is a fucking imbecile to begin with. 

This shit goes both ways too. 

Edited by Kanji

Oliver Dolt is a genuine fucking moron but seeing him wind up the ‘Any American Billionaire X Ultras’ makes me :icon_salut: like Prince Charlie never could. 

Repulsed by absolutely everyone for different reasons. A unique talent.

Not unlike Todd Baldy’s hunger for money by any means necessary on his investment. As see through as anything .

2 hours ago, TheBrownBottle said:

'Bob Lord was right'

The first chant I ever remember hearing live at a home game was "Bob Lord's a bastard" (against Burnley, obviously). Would have been early 60s when I was a little kid. Didn't have much idea who Bob Lord was, and no idea of why he was a bastard, but joined in enthusiastically anyway.

22 minutes ago, Pata said:

It's big pretty much everywhere, only behind football iirc.

No country internationally plays at close to the level that the Americans do.  A basketball WC would be utterly pointless - at club level, there would be no point in a European Cup / Copa Libertadores equivalent; NBA teams would be lightyears ahead of every other nation's teams.

That's not to suggest that loads of kids worldwide don't play and enjoy it - I enjoyed playing it when I was a kid.  But I have read that 'soccer' is the most played games of early schoolers in the US - that doesn't lead to mass popularity later on, of course.

1 hour ago, Kanji said:

This is my example of how stupid the reaction is:

first off he didn’t make any of those points and they aren’t even done in MLS. Some were before and the American fans and players hated it. Take me out to the ball game is a strictly baseball thing. So no. And Holt himself is a fucking imbecile to begin with. 

This shit goes both ways too. 

Boelhy's ideas were shite because they were shite; they came about because he's think about money, not because he's 'Americanising' the sport.  Holt just comes across as a little Englander.  Fucking hell the man is dislikeable

59 minutes ago, Disco said:

Oliver Dolt is a genuine fucking moron but seeing him wind up the ‘Any American Billionaire X Ultras’ makes me :icon_salut: like Prince Charlie never could. 

Repulsed by absolutely everyone for different reasons. A unique talent.

Not unlike Todd Baldy’s hunger for money by any means necessary on his investment. As see through as anything .

He’s not winding anybody up. Giving him too much Credit. He’s the old guy in the pub who’s telling people that’s what Americans want in football when none of us do. 

1 hour ago, TheBrownBottle said:

No country internationally plays at close to the level that the Americans do.  A basketball WC would be utterly pointless - at club level, there would be no point in a European Cup / Copa Libertadores equivalent; NBA teams would be lightyears ahead of every other nation's teams.

That's not to suggest that loads of kids worldwide don't play and enjoy it - I enjoyed playing it when I was a kid.  But I have read that 'soccer' is the most played games of early schoolers in the US - that doesn't lead to mass popularity later on, of course.

Of course but your post read to me like basketball is only played in USA and few Eastern European countries. USA is always the favourite and could send 30 good teams but it's played everywhere and the best players in the world are not only Americans (Antetokounmpo, Jokic and Doncic right now probably in the top 5). There is a basketball WC and it's big in every other country even if USA don't always send the best team. Think you are disrespecting the European club teams a bit too, NBA teams have 52 wins and 13 losses against European teams in the past two decades but are only 16-9 in Europe even if they are glorified pre-season games.

American football is it's own thing but I don't think you can compare basketball even to sports like rugby, cricket and baseball which are legit sports in only a handful countries.

Edited by Pata

20 minutes ago, Pata said:

Of course but your post read to me like basketball is only played in USA and few Eastern European countries. USA is always the favourite and could send 30 good teams but it's played everywhere and the best players in the world are not only Americans (Antetokounmpo, Jokic and Doncic right now probably in the top 5). There is a basketball WC and it's big in every other country even if USA don't always send the best team. Think you are disrespecting the European club teams a bit too, NBA teams have 52 wins and 13 losses against European teams in the past two decades but are only 16-9 in Europe even if they are glorified pre-season games.

American football is it's own thing but I don't think you can compare basketball even to sports like rugby, cricket and baseball which are legit sports in only a handful countries.

I accept some of your points, but cricket is the national sport (both playing and attending) for all the countries in the entire Indian subcontinent - that's a quarter of the world's population.  It is absolutely comparable to basketball's popularity worldwide.