Still not worthy of a thread

Yorkie

Just now, HaydnNUFC said:

The format not broken, why are people trying to fix it? Some of the suggestions have been pure AIDS.

I'm the only one making suggestions so I guess I'll take that feedback. :lol:

I'm not out waving placards about introducing a relegation play-off system (in truth, a European play-off would be the preferable place to introduce such a thing); it's just intended as a thought exercise around how certain alterations might benefit competition. I don't think "the format isn't broken" is a useful position to hold in this day and age when the nature of the game has changed so drastically over the last thirty years. However I accept @Kid Icarus's point that tinkering with the smaller things probably doesn't address the greater issues.

1 minute ago, Yorkie said:

I'm not out waving placards about introducing a relegation play-off system (in truth, a European play-off would be the preferable place to introduce such a thing); it's just intended as a thought exercise around how certain alterations might benefit competition. I don't think "the format isn't broken" is a useful position to hold in this day and age when the nature of the game has changed so drastically over the last thirty years. However I accept @Kid Icarus's point that tinkering with the smaller things probably doesn't address the greater issues.

The format isn't broken though. It's not really a position to be taken, it's just important to bear that in mind when we discuss unnecessary changes. 

2 minutes ago, Yorkie said:

Changing league format ≠ levelling the playing field. Football ownership, regulation, financial workings of the game won't change by introducing playoff systems in the league for relegation or Europe. The way the game has been run since 1992 has fucked football, not league format. Major reform is needed in regards to the aforementioned points. Relegation playoffs, European place playoffs, all-star games. Ugh. Please, just no.

Play-off somewhere is a decent idea.

I think the last European competition spot to keep midtable teams engaged. It could also help because some teams don't want to qualify for Europa League and others would be desperate. So the team that actually wants to compete in it would take those play-offs more seriously.

7, 8, 9, 10. Keeping all top half teams with something to play for and gives teams 11-13 something to strive for.

4 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

Play-off somewhere is a decent idea.

I think the last European competition spot to keep midtable teams engaged. It could also help because some teams don't want to qualify for Europa League and others would be desperate. So the team that actually wants to compete in it would take those play-offs more seriously.

7, 8, 9, 10. Keeping all top half teams with something to play for and gives teams 11-13 something to strive for.

Just bring back the Intertoto Cup if teams are that desperate to be in the Europa

7 minutes ago, HaydnNUFC said:

Changing league format ≠ levelling the playing field. Football ownership, regulation, financial workings of the game won't change by introducing playoff systems in the league for relegation or Europe. The way the game has been run since 1992 has fucked football, not league format.

I agree with all of that, hence my last sentence in the post you quoted; I'm all for the idea of major reform. But in the context of major reform definitely not happening any time soon/ever, if positive additions can be made, then we shouldn't resist just because they don't solve the universal problems. 

Certainly can't see why any Newcastle fan or fans of any non-ESL team would be against a European play-off. Anything to increase the chances of non-ESL teams upsetting the apple cart is surely a good thing?

40 minutes ago, joeyt said:

But like Stan says, for the relegation playoff are you saying the side who loses their semi finals then gets to the final and then the loser gets relegated?

That's really going to attract the fans :lol:

You've had a shit season? Here's two more games where you can buy tickets for and if you lose them both you'll be relegated!

It would be absolutely horrendous being in it, but imagine watching Everton last season going down because they bottled their two relegation saving games :lol: It's obviously pie in the sky, but for the neutral, it could provide pretty decent entertainment IMO :lol:

In Sweden, the third placed team in the Championship equivalent play the third worst team in the top division. Pretty decent way of ensuring the 'best' team stays in the league. Could be done so that the sixth placed team in the championship is replaced by the 17th team in the Premier League for the Play offs. Though that leads to more dead rubbers in the championship,  which already have an awful lot of them, so probably not the best solution. 

Just now, joeyt said:

Just bring back the Intertoto Cup if teams are that desperate to be in the Europa

That's not for the PL to decide.

I meant Conference League.

Teams qualifying for Europe and getting knocked out straight away (Burnley and Wolves spring to mind) is bad for the league. A lot of clubs don't want it either, so gives them a get out.

Selfishly it benefits us too. I think winning the Conference and Europa comps are good paths to CL qualification and upping our reputation across the world. But finishing 7th is difficult.

1 minute ago, The College Dropout said:

That's not for the PL to decide.

I meant Conference League.

Teams qualifying for Europe and getting knocked out straight away (Burnley and Wolves spring to mind) is bad for the league. A lot of clubs don't want it either, so gives them a get out.

Selfishly it benefits us too. I think winning the Conference and Europa comps are good paths to CL qualification and upping our reputation across the world. But finishing 7th is difficult.

Winning the Conference League doesn't get you CL qualification

3 minutes ago, Yorkie said:

I agree with all of that, hence my last sentence in the post you quoted; I'm all for the idea of major reform. But in the context of major reform definitely not happening any time soon/ever, if positive additions can be made, then we shouldn't resist just because they don't solve the universal problems. 

Certainly can't see why any Newcastle fan or fans of any non-ESL team would be against a European play-off. Anything to increase the chances of non-ESL teams upsetting the apple cart is surely a good thing?

European play off, for what? Champions League? Europa League? Conference League? The latter competition could ostensibly be viewed as that already given 7th achieves it and the winner gets Europa League group stage, especially given the state of some of the teams up to the round of 16 when compared to PL teams.

23 minutes ago, Yorkie said:

I'm here. 

I don't know, maybe 6th, 7th, 8th and 9th? Winner gets Europa, losing finalist gets Conference? Means finishing 9th still gets you a shot at Europe, all the teams in that 9th-13th region of the table have more to play for, and it increases the chances of one or two of the ESL chums being denied a European place?

1 minute ago, Yorkie said:

I don't know, maybe 6th, 7th, 8th and 9th? Winner gets Europa, losing finalist gets Conference? Means finishing 9th still gets you a shot at Europe, all the teams in that 9th-13th region of the table have more to play for, and it increases the chances of one or two of the ESL chums being denied a European place?

I was thinking 7-10 for Conference league. Gives most clubs in the league something to for fight for if they want it. I think finishing 6th and not qualifying for Europe at all is harsh.

Plus I genuinely think only a few clubs actively want Conference League (from a board perspective). So let's give them a greater chance at qualification.

I think soon the PL will have 5 CL places anyway. So 8th might be enough for Conference. Think that's next season? Based on 3 nations with highest co-efficient

4 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

What's the purpose of this question?

You said finishing 7th is hard. West Ham have achieved it. Why can't we? Why do we need a playoff to do it

Edited by joeyt

18 minutes ago, joeyt said:

You said finishing 7th is hard. West Ham have achieved it. Why can't we? Why do we need a playoff to do it

West Ham finished 6th the season prior and finished 7th while playing in Europe until April/May. West Ham have been a very good team for 2 years.

Again, what's your actual point?

We don't need a play-off for anything. But I think it would make the league more exciting and it increases our chances of qualifying for Europe. 1 is an opinion and I think the other is a fact.

Edited by The College Dropout

2 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

West Ham finished 6th the season prior and finished 7th while playing in Europe until April/May. West Ham have been a very good team for 2 years.

Again, what's your actual point?

My point is that you said 7th is difficult without a playoff when it clearly isn't when teams like West Ham can get to 7th (or higher) two seasons in a row

That's not a knock on West Ham they're a good team but if we can't strive to be at the same level as what West Ham are at then what's the point of all our new investment?

We don't need a playoff system to get a Europa Conference League spot