Still not worthy of a thread

Yorkie

Guest firetotheworks

Football Ramble, The Totally Football Show, and On The Continent are the only ones I've enjoyed. Everything else I've tried tends to be either really annoying or provides no insight whatsoever.

Times The Game is the other one I listen to sometimes, but you'll have to suffer through Marcotti for snippets of George Caulkin.

Quickly Kevin, Will He Score? is also pretty good, love the quiz episodes.

5Live Football Daily is there just to get your fix.

There's True Faith as well, obvs.

Bundesliga Diaries is fantastic if you follow the league. Reminds me of this place - mix of folks from different countries who all love footie, very good analysis but with a dose (but not too much) good-natured ribbing of each other. Also, Athletico Mince just for laughs (and TV/movie recs)

Guest firetotheworks

Quickly Kevin, Will He Score? is also pretty good, love the quiz episodes.

I stupidly started off with the quizzes and it's why I stopped listening. It was all just them laughing hysterically at every single one of each others' shite Mock the Week-style jokes and getting very basic football pub quiz questions wrong. :lol: They got the Brian Dean question wrong of all things and couldn't believe that Cole and Beardsley scored over 20 each in 93/94....in a fucking English '90s football podcast. :lol:

Just been reading rumours as well Icardi's wife is having an affair with Brozovic. Perisic was also pissed off the other day because Icardi's wife was saying the other players are not good enough.

Things going well at Inter Milan then.  :lol:

Guest Howaythetoon

My thing with Rooney is just pure selfishness really. The player he became at Man United was incredible and fully reaped the rewards of his talent, but I never enjoyed the Rooney with rounded edges as much as what his raw potential promised, I missed the street footballer style that he had at Everton and Euro 2004.

Got to agree, Rooney undoubtedly become a more rounded footballer and team-player after he joined Man Utd, but Fergie knocked a lot of that natural spontaneous flair out of his game by playing him in so many different positions and roles early on.

His own temperament didn’t help either, he possessed that British disease that compells even the most talented of our players to run around chasing everything, flying into tackles and trying always to be the ultimate team player in abundance which Fergie took full advantage of. The same British disease effected Steven Gerrard, David Beckham and Paul Scholes massively in my opinion and pretty much all of our top players back then and a few even today. Gazza and Beardsley before that were the same as well.

By the time Rooney was 28 he become nothing more than a flat track bully, still capable of individual genius of course, but by that stage of his career the natural inhibited free flowing, free thinking, spontaneous trickery and flair that made him such a wonderful and gifted young talent to watch when he first broke onto the scene for both club and country, made way for hard work, fewer risks, positional discipline and tactical and instructional conformity which made him a pain to watch at times actually, in comparison anyway.

In short, he become a totally different player and had the shine rubbed from his game. Fergie did similar with Cole and Giggs as well. You can’t argue with the stats and their achievements and the teams they played in of course, but when I would look at the likes of Figo or Del Piero or Zidane or Ibrahamivic or Rivaldo or Henry I saw players more of a joy to watch, free to be more expressive, more individual and with non of the inibitions that acted like checkpoints for a lot of our better players like Rooney and Gerrard.

On different scales, look at Ginola and Robert for us? If they were British players with the same skills I’m not so sure we’d have enjoyed watching them half as much as we did or they would have been as good as they were for us.

The one player I was more excited by when we signed than any other player we have bought was Hugo Viana, but he struggled to demonstrate just how good a player he was in main because our game at that time demanded a central midfielder to run around, get stuck in, tackle, defend, work-hard, be the ultimate team player and above all else, be tough and not some soft tart.

Veron struggled and in a much better team as well for similar reasons.

Ironically, today, a player that also struggles in many ways with that side of the game, is our own Shelvey. But the game has changed a lot today and players like him can be effective when the tactics and system suits or is paired with someone who can do some of the donkey work stuff.

My own gripe with Shelvey is his lack of mobility and quick feet which is a problem for us, not how much he runs about or not, or how strong he is, or how hard working he is or how much he gets back. I want to see our players on the ball and expressing their abilities and take more risks going forward not impersonating Colback who does all that donkey stuff because he has no discernible natural talent, flair and skill.

Just been reading rumours as well Icardi's wife is having an affair with Brozovic. Perisic was also pissed off the other day because Icardi's wife was saying the other players are not good enough.

Things going well at Inter Milan then.  :lol:

Am sure she's got previous for shagging around!