Still not worthy of a thread

Yorkie

8 hours ago, ponsaelius said:

To be honest that is kind of akin to saying Go is a worldwide global game because over a billion people in China know it and tens of millions play it.

I like cricket but it's not a fundamentally global sport in terms of appeal IMO - its participation is basically a direct overlay of former British colonisation. There just happens to be over a billion people in those 4 countries that resulted from the Raj.

Basketball has a more global spread, and even when it's not the most popular sport there is a lot of cases where it is in the top 3-4 sports played in that country or at least has some footing. Cricket by comparison has no footing whatsoever in lots of countries outside of small expat communities. This is similar to football's appeal - although again a distant 2nd place.

Football’s appeals extends well beyond the borders of the former empire.

And regardless of how a sport spreads, writing off the national sport of a quarter of the planet is a bit rum.  I never said it had global appeal - but in terms of simple numbers it’s one of the most popular sports on the planet. 

edit: basketball would kill for cricket’s viewing figures.  A game being played isn’t the same as people watching and attending 

Edited by TheBrownBottle

1 hour ago, joeyt said:

Bet managers are going to delighted to watch their players risk injury in a glorified charity game

Shouldn't ever let footballer play then, they can get injured turning the TV on

Pretty sure when the promotion play-offs were first introduced they were 3 from Div 1 and one from PL. 

Have to remember the reason was to reduce numbers in the PL, and I think it was bottom 3 got relegated, 19th/18th played the playoffs with 3rd, 4th and 5th in 1st div.

I think that's right.

Edited by Happinesstan

2 minutes ago, Kanji said:

Shouldn't ever let footballer play then, they can get injured turning the TV on

:lol: they hate their players going away for international duties how are they going to feel about an all star game

2 minutes ago, joeyt said:

:lol: they hate their players going away for international duties how are they going to feel about an all star game

That would change. 

With all of the talk about US influences on the game, when you look at Chelsea's squad he must be fuming that he can't play a defensive XI, an offensive XI, and a Jorginho XI for the field goals.

1 hour ago, loki679 said:

Wouldn't mind bottom 3 going down and 17th playing for their place in the PL against the losing champo playoff finalist.

Kind of. I get that the play offs are to keep interest going for longer and give more teams something to play for but I still can't agree with them. The idea that a team can finish 3rd, 20points ahead of the team that finishes 6th but the team that finishes 6th goes up makes a farce of the league season for me. At best have the team that finishes 3rd bottom in the higher division play off against the team finishes 3rd top in the lower division.

23 minutes ago, joeyt said:

It's a game that neither managers, players or the fans want really :lol:

You can watch the best players like De Bruyne 60 times a season playing for City, where's the demand to see him strolling around in a kickabout with Henderson and McTominay? 

The All-Star NBA game is just a joke, no defence, no actual competitive element, just players going for shots uncontested. It’s the kind of thing that non-sports fans love as you get to see all the big names in one place. Even the dunk contest has gone to shit 

12 minutes ago, Jaqen said:

It's a game that neither managers, players or the fans want really :lol:

You can watch the best players like De Bruyne 60 times a season playing for City, where's the demand to see him strolling around in a kickabout with Henderson and McTominay? 

Americans want it though, and that’s more important. 

Meanwhile little nerds go wild over FUT and pairing De Bruyne with Gavi

In any case, as a lifelong fan of this club who's been here for an eternity, I neither like Boehly or his ideas, but I will absolutely stand up to some of the stupid and offensive things you say about Americans on here and every time you try and be funny, when its not, and how all of us Americans on here try to be so bloody nice to you all on here all the time. I also never appreciated how when you guys get rattled about American suggestions, you hurl insults. Duly noted. 

Lastly, hope Chelsea go belly up becuase Boehly is a little weirdo. 

24 minutes ago, madras said:

What if you're a masochist ?

It would be a bold move to begin a new friendship under those circumstances, maybe more so in public, but I reckon if boundaries and/or safe words are quickly established and agreed upon, then something beautiful can blossom. 

Classy as fuck that, Copenhagen. Probably wishful thinking/not realistic but you'd like to think that fostering a positive atmosphere and camaraderie between hosts and visitors would also reduce anti-social behaviour. (Not that I'm suggesting Sevilla fans are prone to it; I've no idea. Just a general point.)